Top Yoke Off Another Bike To Fit Dirtbike Bars?

Ehonda

Question

Heyo, been searching all evening for options on how to convert my 93 VFR to dirtbike bars, I know of the raask raisers, drilling, and aftermarket kits. Was wondering if there was a top yoke off another bike thatd fit my bike with little to no modification, and will house 7/8 or 1 1/8 bars?

• Member Contributer

There are only two size bars avaliable.. the jap ones we all use are the same.. Harleys use a different larger size....

I have an early NTV 650 here, just before they changed to Dauville model and not the Ally framed hawk model, its the steel ntv650.

It has what you ask, and it has 41mm forks also.

I am going to fit a vfr front end to this ntv very soon to eliminate this factory handle bar top yoke to vfr clipons and improve braking by adding another dics and improve tyre choice by adding the 3.5"wheel....similar to the ntv650 hawk model.

I can only try and hope they will swap over as you ask... They do look similar enough when i put them both together for a visual fit.

A few pics avaliable i think they are close enough..Only time will tell if they will fit direct.. or i may use the whole top and bottom vfr yoke to make work.. early days yet... summers coming and the vfr is waiting in the wings for a good thrashing.. the winter hack can go on the back burner for now...

post-5025-0-40704300-1394368485.jpgpost-5025-0-07985200-1394368494.jpgpost-5025-0-10086700-1394368503.jpg

• Member Contributer

Only time will tell if they will fit direct..

The NTV650 Deauville does.

lol... thanks, knew it would work..... :beer:

Am considering doing either a track day or a round or two in the 650 super twin class of racing here locally to see if i can not come last on a heavy, steel framed, detuned, 21 yr old shaft drive 650 twin...might even leave the top box on... might even see if my vfr slipper clutch will fit also.. knowing honda it well might..

Some spend many £1000s on a bike they really cant ride... lets see who..haha.. i say screw all them purists who think 2bhp more at the cost of a new mac book pro makes a legendary bike.. as its total bull...

This bike cost me £50 to buy and this vfr front end conversion i have still, taken from my own vfr which now sports fireblade 929 forks. So no expense to shell out for..

Means i will have a spare ntv yoke for sale soon if anyone stuck finding one...

I'm working on the same conversion for my Hawk, decided to make a custom top clamp but here's another option I am considering: Aprilia Tuono risers, they mount with a single bolt on to a flat surface of top clamp

post-21591-0-81910000-1394401510.jpg

I would do that if the standard yoke wasn't so thin, would it make any difference if I got the hollow underside of the yoke filled with weld to make it solid?

• Member Contributer

That top yoke is exactly what I'm looking for, how much do you want for it? I'm in Sydney also

Im in the UK and will be taking the yokes apart after i have sorted a front wheel and discs to complete the job. Will be a month or 2 yet..

I would do that if the standard yoke wasn't so thin, would it make any difference if I got the hollow underside of the yoke filled with weld to make it solid?

It would probably warp from the welding.

It would probably warp from the welding.

agree, too thin for comfort and welding is going to make it worse, I was gonna make a plate to go under the clamp that would distribute the pressure but there is a guy who makes CNC top clamps for Hawks and I will be bugging him to make me one with enough meat for risers. It may be well down the read at this point as I decided to get VF1000R on the road and there are few other bikes need attention first, also that Hawk project requires more funds than I can afford at the moment.

• Member Contributer

take the forks off.

flip the triple!!. weld in plates on the bottom.

drile holes

put back on bike

been there and done that on a bunch of them

• Member Contributer

Dmirty, has a good point! Easy to make a alloy plate to thicken up the top clamp.

take the forks off.

drile holes

put back on bike

Welding weakens the top clamp (heat expansion, blah blah blah... I was gonna weld a cast swing arm and was told not to by those who know better than me) flat aluminium plate would distribute the load without compromising the integrity of the top clamp.

I bet a large washer would do it if you were making a cafe racer but being a VFR I suspect you want something that can last 100,000 miles

Or you can ask someone to make a custom top clamp...

• Member Contributer

Dmirty, has a good point! Easy to make a alloy plate to thicken up the top clamp.

you need to atleast add 4 1/4 " tack welds on the bottom lips to add strength on each half..

. i have seen 2 people crack the clamp .with out the welds .. yes.,. they did wheeles.. :wheel:

• Member Contributer

This is what I did with mine.

Made a couple 1/4" thick gussets fit tight in to the corners and held in place with JB Weld.

Triple tree with gusseting

• Member Contributer

take the forks off.

drile holes

put back on bike

Welding weakens the top clamp (heat expansion, blah blah blah... I was gonna weld a cast swing arm and was told not to by those who know better than me) flat aluminium plate would distribute the load without compromising the integrity of the top clamp.

I bet a large washer would do it if you were making a cafe racer but being a VFR I suspect you want something that can last 100,000 miles

and blah blah blah.. they didnt know how to tig weld. and used a mig spool gun right?

think about this. bicycle frame builders are welding 2 tube together.. 1 tube 2.5mm thick the other is .6 mm thick neither are warped after welding . next time take your projects to a real welder. :beer:

take the forks off.

drile holes

put back on bike

and blah blah blah.. they didnt know how to tig weld. and used a mig spool gun right?

think about this. bicycle frame builders are welding 2 tube together.. 1 tube 2.5mm thick the other is .6 mm thick neither are warped after welding . next time take your projects to a real welder. :beer:

My guy make classified stuff, his reputation is beyond approach, that's all I'm gonna say about him... I could waste my time and actually find some research and post it here, but seems it would be time wasted.

Warping is the least of concern, biggest worry is weakening the cast structure by applying localized heat, proper way to deal with it would be heat treating it after welding and at that point it's easier to have one CNC'd to my spec.

Bingo!!

so why cant he weld without warping a top clamp??

Did you read my post? I did say WEAKEN, not warp.

• Member Contributer

adding metal to already thick metal will strengthen it. the welded areas may become more brittle..

but seriously you gain a lot more in the trade off

Archived