How Can You Not Love A Vfr?

DDO-VFR

Visordown's top 10 sports tourers....'nuf said.... :sleep: In this case 5/10 is pretty darn good

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-top-10s/the-consumers-top-10-sports-tourers/24620.html

Brian

PS. Went to the Montreal Moto show and unfortunately the new VFR800 won't be available to drool over until some time in April. :mad:

I'm always surprised by "Polls". While I won't disagree the the VFR is a great bike, there area few on the list that should not be there & a shitload that should be.

• Member Contributer

The photo of the manual shift 1200 was printed backwards. DOH!

As much as I love VFR's, this reminds me of how much I would also love to have a Blackbird in the nest next to the Viffers.

• Member Contributer

I think having the VFR 800 on there once would have been enough. Having every year on there is a bit much. Takes away space for the other bikes that should be on there.

• Member Contributer

Cant beat a Honda .

I have read several peoples reviews about ZX14 and all were very favorable but I have not been able to personally talk to a rider .

I reserve my opinion until I have talk to a long term owner .

the thing the vfr is missing is grunt. ive had 4 vfr's including 3 5th gen's and although I love the v4 engine it just lacks the pure grunt that is needed for really fun riding. I love riding my mates black 2000 cbr1100xx blackbird purely for the grunt on tap at any revs in any gear at any time and its soooooo smooth you wouldn't know it was even running under you. Honda just needed to make a v4 1000cc gear driven cam engine with 140-150hp and 110nm of torque and have radial calipers on it and they would sell them by the bucket load instead of the vfr1200 ugly whatever they created instead. in Australia the vfr1200 was an overpriced flop. when it came out they were about $25,000 and now I see they are about $16,000. I pity the people who bought them at the original asking price and are now selling them at such a loss.

Interesting. Am I reading this correctly - According to that poll, the older VFR750's are higher up the list than the more recent VFR800's and the VFR1200's are number one?

the thing the vfr is missing is grunt.

I keep seeing this, over & over, by several different people. I just don't see it. For everyday riding and touring, the VFR has plenty of "grunt" to me. It even has enough to surprise me sometimes. I'm a big dude too, well over 250 lbs. I guess it is what you are used to and how you ride. I started on a 250 then a Nighthawk 750. The VFR is the most powerful bike I have ridden and I just can't see the need to go bigger.

the thing the vfr is missing is grunt.

I keep seeing this, over & over, by several different people. I just don't see it. For everyday riding and touring, the VFR has plenty of "grunt" to me. It even has enough to surprise me sometimes. I'm a big dude too, well over 250 lbs. I guess it is what you are used to and how you ride. I started on a 250 then a Nighthawk 750. The VFR is the most powerful bike I have ridden and I just can't see the need to go bigger.

I used to have a GSXR1100. That thing was a triple digit rocket. After that I switched to a VTR. 996cc of torque. Then got the VFR. It does lack the grunt compared to my past 2 bikes. If you keep the VFR wound up to 7k or 8k RPM, it will go, but drop it down to 5k RPM coming out of a corner or going up Cherahala Skyway and it lacks grunt. The VTR used to do wheelies all day long at 3k RPM's.

Having spent saddle time in every stateside variant between 1990 and 2010 excepting the 1200 (which doesn't count as a VFR to me)...I just can't love them. Or not all of them. The 1990 750 was beautiful and mean and everything I like to see in a bike. There was aggression, strangeness, and an odd grace that Honda seems to be able to cram into odd places. Riding a well kept 750R made you feel like a better rider. I think every time they tried to make the VFR "better" since about 1995 they only made her worse...especially in looks. The 1200 looks like a CBR250 ate a cow.

Of course I'm also a very devout Suzuki guy haha

• Member Contributer

I love my VFR because it balances my riding experience so well. I agree, after having owned a 6oo ninja and then a CBR 1000 for a few years, that it does lack that blistering acceleration factor, but it is a sweet ride nonetheless.

Archived