Shaft Failure

Guest NZTitanium

Before mine failed, I would feel slight squeaking feeling, kind of like driving in an old car and when going over a bumps, feeling/hearing that speaking sound coming from the shock absorbers. This sound was only present, when I was traveling 100KPH (60MPH) or more and when hitting a bump on the road, I would feel the squeaking sensation and thought it came from the rear shock absorbers.

Another symptom was that when I rolled the bike backwards (with engine off in a quiet environment) I would hear a slight clunking sound, but I didn’t hear this noise rolling the rear wheel on the center stand.

A week before my U-joint failure, I took the bike into the Honda dealer and the technician said the noise is coming from the DCT transmission and I had nothing to worry about.

Honda Korea, stated that they would not cover the cost of the repair, I didn’t make a fuss and paid out of my pocket. At the time of my failure, the odometer read around 94,000KM. The cost of the repair was around $2,000 along with $150 tow bill.

On Honda ST100/1300, you can replace just the u-joint, but on the VFR1200 you have to replace the whole shaft drive assembly.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Before mine failed, I would feel slight squeaking feeling, kind of like driving in an old car and when going over a bumps, feeling/hearing that speaking sound coming from the shock absorbers. This sound was only present, when I was traveling 100KPH (60MPH) or more and when hitting a bump on the road, I would feel the squeaking sensation and thought it came from the rear shock absorbers.

Another symptom was that when I rolled the bike backwards (with engine off in a quiet environment) I would hear a slight clunking sound, but I didn’t hear this noise rolling the rear wheel on the center stand.

A week before my U-joint failure, I took the bike into the Honda dealer and the technician said the noise is coming from the DCT transmission and I had nothing to worry about.

Honda Korea, stated that they would not cover the cost of the repair, I didn’t make a fuss and paid out of my pocket. At the time of my failure, the odometer read around 94,000KM. The cost of the repair was around $2,000 along with $150 tow bill.

On Honda ST100/1300, you can replace just the u-joint, but on the VFR1200 you have to replace the whole shaft drive assembly.

The whole shaft assembly wow sound likes BMW is supplying there shafts ...

The noise was very similar to the normal clunking it makes in low gears at low throttle but was louder and much more than normal.

Also changing gears if you let it power off a little as the power came on in the new gear there was a noise as well.

They replaced it under warranty and was fixed in two days. Just the shaft was replaced and the mechanic showed me the complete old shaft. All well built but really dry with very little grease in any of the parts. The universal really looks too small to handle to load when you compare it to the rest of the shaft.

They said if I had to pay for the shaft it retailed at NZ$1800 and then the labor to change it.

There should be service bulletin to all Honda dealers to inspect the drive shaft (especially the universal joint), something similar to valve inspection interval. After my failure, I accelerate/decelerate gently, hoping not to have another mishap anytime soon.

It is very easy to inspect as well. You just pull the rubber boot back making sure not to rip it and the universal is right there to inspect. The mechanic said he would inspect it each service now and I will be checking it as well between services.

There should be service bulletin to all Honda dealers to inspect the drive shaft (especially the universal joint), something similar to valve inspection interval. After my failure, I accelerate/decelerate gently, hoping not to have another mishap anytime soon.

I sympathize with your fear of the U joint failing again, but I hope it does not force you to ride the bike like it will break anytime you use any of the power the bike's motor has available. Otherwise, what's the point of riding this supposedly flagship Sport/Touring bike from the bggest motorcycle company in the world.

If I felt about my bike that way, It would be grounds to buy a different one as I would feel that I'm not getting my money's worth with it..

Yes, avoid doing hole-shot/dump the clutch/drag strip launches, but don't end up babying the bike too much and letting Honda's possible quality control or engineering shortcomings affect your riding enjoyment negatively.

Do any Honda U-joints have grease fittings on the spider? Grease/Zerk fittings are a thing of the past, but There may be a cross referenced U-joint with the fittings to interchange. I'm old enough to have greased a few hundred cars with serviceable U-j's. a few of my Guzzi's, w/exposed shafts have grease fittings; the Daytona as a recall item. You do use Honda Moly 60 on the splines, I trust?

I do it every other rear tire change. Good fortune, R3~

I wish Honda engineers designed the unit more robust, or have the ability to replace just the U-joint and not having to change out whole shaft drive assembly. To be fair, it’s an all new design and new model owners are in some ways test subjects.

I don’t believe there are any grease fittings, it looks like a sealed unit.

I like the bike and will add another one in the near future, if I have another major failure. The mileage presently is around 110,000KM (66,000 miles), most used buyers would be scared off by the high mileage, when there are many examples of 2010 VFR1200 with less than 5,000KM (3,000 miles.)

One final post to show the damage. Just plain wore out which is not good after only 24,000km when I suspect it went. Awesome job from my dealer and Honda NZ to get it up and running in two days.

post-22330-0-79419200-1392089407.jpg

• Member Contributer

I wish Honda engineers designed the unit more robust, or have the ability to replace just the U-joint and not having to change out whole shaft drive assembly. To be fair, it’s an all new design and new model owners are in some ways test subjects.

I don’t believe there are any grease fittings, it looks like a sealed unit.

I like the bike and will add another one in the near future, if I have another major failure. The mileage presently is around 110,000KM (66,000 miles), most used buyers would be scared off by the high mileage, when there are many examples of 2010 VFR1200 with less than 5,000KM (3,000 miles.)

Did you really have to bring up failed U-joints on Guzzis...................?????? :wacko:

guzzifucked_zps01d4ac44.jpg

i honestly feel that the zbomb moded bike's driveline experiences less violent torque reactions than the stock bike due to the MUCH smoother power delivery

i honestly feel that the zbomb moded bike's driveline experiences less violent torque reactions than the stock bike due to the MUCH smoother power delivery

there's not that much difference in power delivery.... not much difference in total power that can be applied - that's down to rider input

second gear tops out at 93 mph....fyi :wink:

I knew that but 1st gear, no idea. For me it's just for taking off from standstill, nothing else, not brave enough.

I've never looked at the U-joint. 30-ish K miles, been grounded for the past 3 months. Won't hear anything wrong in there with ear plugs and high cruising speeds either. Can we lubricate?

What is this flagship everyone's talking about? :wink:

about 65 in first...you really have to look quick

my standard answer when asked "what does it do zero to sixty in?" is "first gear"

Archived