Shaft Failure

Guest NZTitanium

Guest NZTitanium

Shaft had been making a few extra noises in the few months but could find nothing wrong. Others saying theirs made the noise as well and the dealers one I borrowed did as well to a certain extent.

Took it in for a 36,000km check today and asked them to check the shaft and came back to some nasty news. The shaft had failed and was just hanging in there. Thoughts raced back to two days before when I was doing 190kmh and what would have happened if it had failed then.

Still covered under warranty so a shaft off a new one is being taken out to get mine working again and I have the load of a NC700. No spare shafts around it seems.

Attached a picture of the failure and yes the universal should be centered

post-22330-0-45531200-1391398161.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Hmmm. This is the fourth one of these I've heard of. This is starting to sound like the BMW forum. Maybe a little chain lube and adjustment now and then isn't such a hassle after all. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Hmmm. This is the fourth one of these I've heard of. This is starting to sound like the BMW forum. Maybe a little chain lube and adjustment now and then isn't such a hassle after all. :unsure:

Wonder if any dealer will start to void the warranty of these failing shafts if the owner has installed anything that corrects the ball chopping hole in first and second gear? The Bazzaz or the other thing I read about...

Not mine. Mine was a standard 2013 purchased model with the traction control. No changes for mine that did not come from the factory so can't blame the add'ons. Pure and simple part failure.

• Member Contributer

I don't hear much about the newer K1200/K1300 bikes having final drive issues. Seems to be mainly the R1200 series bikes.

• Member Contributer

Wonder if any dealer will start to void the warranty of these failing shafts if the owner has installed anything that corrects the ball chopping hole in first and second gear? The Bazzaz or the other thing I read about...

I would say yes !!!

warranty claims can't be denied due to modifications done to un-related systems....ie, your Z-Bomb could affect a warranty claim for the EFI, but not for a shaft drive failure.

not in the U.S. anyway.

Take a look here: www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?30909-BMW-Final-Drive-Failure-For It's long, ugly and mostly K bikes, it seems.

I lost the front universal on the Guzzi Daytona at speed. Coasting to a safe stopping place, at ~20 m/r, there were 2 bangs. The shaft side yoke was catching on the swing arm housing. The original owner had missed the recall. The bike was 7 years old with only 4647 miles. Within 3 days I had the complete, updated shaft in hand. Yes. A bit unusual for Guzzi.

I lost the chain on the Aprilia RS125 at about 40. It went scary silent. Totaled the chain guard, fender and badly scarred that pretty cast aluminum swing arm. I've been very lucky. But you haven't the time for my sad, frustrating bmw drive train stories. Good fortune, R3~

• Member Contributer

warranty claims can't be denied due to modifications done to un-related systems....ie, your Z-Bomb could affect a warranty claim for the EFI, but not for a shaft drive failure.

not in the U.S. anyway.

... unless the modification put stress on the failed part, eg. adding horsepower to the drive train... therefore, a un-related modification to the FI could put stress on the interdependent drive shaft.

Hmmm... these failure reports are starting to look like a pattern, more than just random failures. I can understand an '10 with lots of miles on it. But a '13 with 22k miles? :unsure2:

not in the U.S. anyway.

... unless the modification put stress on the failed part, eg. adding horsepower to the drive train... therefore, a un-related modification to the FI could put stress on the interdependent drive shaft.

that's a stretch.... if you turbo'd the bike you might have a point.

and the z-bomb doesn't add one iota of horsepower, it removes the restrictions to it....but feel free to argue otherwise.

and Volfy - I'm with you on the need for the z-bomb.

I bought one to see if it made any appreciable difference on my 2012 - and there's really nothing there to suggest it's making a $55 improvement in roll on in 1st and 2nd gears.

I will wait until the winter weather takes a break and I can do some serious miles with it - but at this point, in my opinion it's not necessary at all.

All this talk about poor fueling and such is BS to me - but folks love to tweak this and PCV that, thinking it's Got To Be Done or the bike is crap.

That's why I spend so little time here....it's a bitchin' bike that works hella well out of the box. Anybody can spend what they want and improve something they feel is in a deficit situation - but everyone shopping for a VFR 1200 is going to think the bike needs to have cubic dollars spent on it to make it right.

Small improvements are there to be had for sure - but it's nicely turned out from Honda.

• Member Contributer

not in the U.S. anyway.

Yeh no warranty if you modify for higher performance .

Warranty Information
  • What does my warranty cover?

Your warranty covers the repair or replacement, at American Honda's option, any part which is defective in material or factory workmanship under normal use for the applicable warranty period. For further details please see your warranty booklet. (Competition models are excluded from warranty coverage.)

Of course you just remove said parts BEFORE submitting a warranty claim .

• Member Contributer

Take a look here: www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?30909-BMW-Final-Drive-Failure-For It's long, ugly and mostly K bikes, it seems.

Can't see anything in here, and the website it links to doesn't have any relevant info on it anymore (lots of 404 errors on that website).

BMWs are a bit off topic though so I'll stop there!

not in the U.S. anyway.

that's a stretch.... if you turbo'd the bike you might have a point.

and the z-bomb doesn't add one iota of horsepower, it removes the restrictions to it....but feel free to argue otherwise.

and Volfy - I'm with you on the need for the z-bomb.

I bought one to see if it made any appreciable difference on my 2012 - and there's really nothing there to suggest it's making a $55 improvement in roll on in 1st and 2nd gears.

I will wait until the winter weather takes a break and I can do some serious miles with it - but at this point, in my opinion it's not necessary at all.

All this talk about poor fueling and such is BS to me - but folks love to tweak this and PCV that, thinking it's Got To Be Done or the bike is crap.

That's why I spend so little time here....it's a bitchin' bike that works hella well out of the box. Anybody can spend what they want and improve something they feel is in a deficit situation - but everyone shopping for a VFR 1200 is going to think the bike needs to have cubic dollars spent on it to make it right.

Small improvements are there to be had for sure - but it's nicely turned out from Honda.

the z bomb made a big difference on my 2010....and how can you say the fueling issues are bs ?? have you ever heard of the EPA ???

Blackbird, I test rode several VFR1200 prior to my purchase. One was a stock DCT, another was an "F" modded up with helibar, Honda screen deflector, and yes, Z-bomb. I honestly could not tell much of a difference, if any, between them and, later, mine. Now I didn't get anywhere close to WOT in 1st and 2nd gear on those test rides... but then again, I don't do that on my own VFR1200, or any of the 10 bikes I've owned in the past 3yrs (several of which have similar timing retard at low gears). It's just not how I ride. As was mentioned, smooth is fast.

As for the fueling issue, yeah, I do feel the jerkiness at low RPM at low speeds at low gear, but to me, it isn't a ton worse than other bikes I've ridden. It does take a deliberate control on the throttle hand and some shifting between 1st and 2nd gear to keep the bike from bucking, but I find it easily managed. Could it be improved? Yes, probably. But it doesn't bother me enough for me to throw all kinds of hardware at it.

Let me stress again that THAT'S JUST ME. I am not about to argue with others who like what they've done to their VFR1200. If it works for you, hey, more power to you... literally. :cool:

• Member Contributer

I don't know if you have already done this, but, its amazing how much difference it makes when you get rid of the free play on the throttle adjustment. The bike is a lot smoother.

The 2010 I rode was garbage, really bad. There might have been something wrong with it but the 1st models need help. The 2012 has updates to it's not really fair to say the 2010's don't need help and yes the EPA are real pricks about this. Motorcycles make up what? .001% of the vehicles on the road? Like it's going to make a difference.

my 2010 never bucked in low gear, just felt like a 125cc two stroke below 5000rpm at WOT ( kind of like a 3 second turbo lag) just couldn't get out of it's own way...so bad it was downright dangerous in NYC traffic....just bogged until it hit 6000 rpm and then the front wheel came up like a mousetrap...with the z bomb the front wheel starts to skip across the pavement at 3/4 throttle right off of the line with no clutch slippage required.....does nice controllable power wheelies when you hit the meat of the power band...(my reason for living)....i keep my throttle free play right at zero...dealers keep adjusting it when i take it in, i re adjust it right in front of them before i leave...lol

my 2010 never bucked in low gear, just felt like a 125cc two stroke below 5000rpm at WOT ( kind of like a 3 second turbo lag) just couldn't get out of it's own way...so bad it was downright dangerous in NYC traffic....just bogged until it hit 6000 rpm and then the front wheel came up like a mousetrap...with the z bomb the front wheel starts to skip across the pavement at 3/4 throttle right off of the line with no clutch slippage required.....does nice controllable power wheelies when you hit the meat of the power band...(my reason for living)....i keep my throttle free play right at zero...dealers keep adjusting it when i take it in, i re adjust it right in front of them before i leave...lol

Take 3 seconds to go from idle to 6000RPM? :blink:

I lived on the upper west side in '85/86 and used to ride my '82 Maxim XJ650 in Manhattan and all around the boroughs. I'm amazed you can ride the VFR1200 at anything approaching 3/4 throttle in NYC traffic. I didn't do that even on that 650... and that was my younger wreckless self. Even up and down the avenues, the lights are all synched, such that there really was no incentive to go fast. And the cross streets... I didn't dare do anything but putt-putt along. One time a parked delivery van blocked the stop sign on the right and I sailed through an intersection - right into the path of a crossing truck. Thankfully, the little spill only broke a turn signal and severed my front brake line, and I was already on my way to a bike shop, so I limped there a few blocks away on rear brake only.

Now Hudson River Drive and East River Parkway are nice when there is no traffic. Loved riding downtown weehours in the morning down one side, beat around battery park, Soho, the Village and such, then cruise back up the other side.

My 2010 doesn['t exhibit any of these behaviours. This sounds quite exagerated or the bike was badly flawed. The 2100 was never ment to be a squid bike

I also have a 2010 and without Z-bomb the first two gears are not so good when you drive fast.

Quicker you open the gas, slower the bike goes.

If you open the gas "following" the increase of engine rpm, the speed increases smoothly and you can't feel a "torque hole".

Go in 2nd gear at 3000 rpm, open near fully the gas and the bike "waits" up to 6000 rpm, then suddenly all the real engine torque comes back and you are like a bullet.

My bike with the Z-bomb is far better usable than before.

I also have a 2010 and without Z-bomb the first two gears are not so good when you drive fast.

Quicker you open the gas, slower the bike goes.

If you open the gas "following" the increase of engine rpm, the speed increases smoothly and you can't feel a "torque hole".

Go in 2nd gear at 3000 rpm, open near fully the gas and the bike "waits" up to 6000 rpm, then suddenly all the real engine torque comes back and you are like a bullet.

My bike with the Z-bomb is far better usable than before.

exactly !!

Take 3 seconds to go from idle to 6000RPM? :blink:

I lived on the upper west side in '85/86 and used to ride my '82 Maxim XJ650 in Manhattan and all around the boroughs. I'm amazed you can ride the VFR1200 at anything approaching 3/4 throttle in NYC traffic. I didn't do that even on that 650... and that was my younger wreckless self. Even up and down the avenues, the lights are all synched, such that there really was no incentive to go fast. And the cross streets... I didn't dare do anything but putt-putt along. One time a parked delivery van blocked the stop sign on the right and I sailed through an intersection - right into the path of a crossing truck. Thankfully, the little spill only broke a turn signal and severed my front brake line, and I was already on my way to a bike shop, so I limped there a few blocks away on rear brake only.

Now Hudson River Drive and East River Parkway are nice when there is no traffic. Loved riding downtown weehours in the morning down one side, beat around battery park, Soho, the Village and such, then cruise back up the other side.

you can't get too near to 3/4 throttle in the city, but sometimes it can save your skin just to GTF outta there.....used to take the harlem river dr/FDR from the George Washington Bridge to the Brooklyn Bridge at 5 AM every day back in the mid '80s on my '83 Interceptor....great ride when there are no cars on the road !!! once you learn where the pot holes are

Shaft had been making a few extra noises in the few months but could find nothing wrong. Others saying theirs made the noise as well and the dealers one I borrowed did as well to a certain extent.

Took it in for a 36,000km check today and asked them to check the shaft and came back to some nasty news. The shaft had failed and was just hanging in there. Thoughts raced back to two days before when I was doing 190kmh and what would have happened if it had failed then.

Still covered under warranty so a shaft off a new one is being taken out to get mine working again and I have the load of a NC700. No spare shafts around it seems.

Attached a picture of the failure and yes the universal should be centered

What did the noise sound like, a clunking? Or something more obvious? My 2010 shaft with 25kms clunks in low gear at low rpm, always has and has not changed. Feels like some built in free play, like a slightly slack chain. Was it similar to that?

Archived