Shaft Failure

Guest NZTitanium

Thanx for posting the picture NZT. It looks to be a proprietary design. I hate that! No mercy what so ever, on the part of the manufacturer. It's bad enough that most all electronics on a bike cannot be repaired by mere humans. R3~

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should've taken the red pill...

... and unveil the reality that has been pulled over your eyes, to blind you from the truth... that VFR1200 actually is a great performance sport tourer.

matrix.jpg

• Member Contributer

The noise was very similar to the normal clunking it makes in low gears at low throttle but was louder and much more than normal.

Also changing gears if you let it power off a little as the power came on in the new gear there was a noise as well.

They replaced it under warranty and was fixed in two days.

Does the bike sound any different now? Do you think you'd have noticed a difference if it had been replaced before failure.

• Member Contributer

Honda quote :

"Differing from a conventional parallel link system, the new technology offsets the driveshaft vertically to the swing-arm pivot, to which it is rigidly clamped for excellent stability during manoeuvring. A wide-span through-bolt pivot secures the swingarm to the frame using a new technique applying more pressure also from inside the frame, resulting in a more stable tightening over time.
"This allows for a taut, rigid set-up while allowing the desired swingarm movement. The lower front section of the swingarm is cut away to optimise torsional rigidity and enhance handling. Due to the compact new transmission layout, the swingarm length can be optimised without extending the overall length of the motorcycle."

Honda quote :

"Differing from a conventional parallel link system, the new technology offsets the driveshaft vertically to the swing-arm pivot, to which it is rigidly clamped for excellent stability during manoeuvring. A wide-span through-bolt pivot secures the swingarm to the frame using a new technique applying more pressure also from inside the frame, resulting in a more stable tightening over time.

"This allows for a taut, rigid set-up while allowing the desired swingarm movement. The lower front section of the swingarm is cut away to optimise torsional rigidity and enhance handling. Due to the compact new transmission layout, the swingarm length can be optimised without extending the overall length of the motorcycle."

Hmmmm.... "...resulting in a more stable tightening over time...".......What the bloody heck does that mean??!.... :unsure::huh:

Hm. This won't be correct I would hope, but to me that reads like: "it's loose when new but will tighten over time."

Kind of like my spinal cord. Doesn't hurt but apart from that there are a lot of complications.

Hopefully equally analogue is it won't kill you.

bit of a strange way to word that sentence.... wonder if by 'tightening over time' they mean that it stays firmly in place throughout the length of it's range of movement.

the geometry of the layout with regards to the pivot points and shaft outlet is unique, and eliminates the shaft jacking effect without the parallelogram linkage other systems have

Honda quote :

Yeah, it's more of a nerdy wordy engineer thing.

I believe what that is trying to say is that the fit/tolerance of the swing arm to the frame at the pivot point is designed to be self-adjusting, such that the SSSA stays tightly fitted to the frame - even after extensive riding.

This is especially important for a SSSA, which is more sensitive to swingarm fitment tolerances. Too tight, and the freedom to articulate up and down is restricted. Too loose, and the rear wheel axle alignment will be off and suspension travel sloppy.

That sentence does not say anything about the drive shaft or the U-joint.

Also... blakebird (got you handle right this time :wink:), I believe the shaft-jacking effect is minimized, not eliminated. The geometry essentially lengthens the effective swing arm length, lessening the torque reaction.

true....by "eliminated" I meant for all practical purposes.

My K100RS lifted the rear - a complete jacking / handling nightmare.

Other bikes like the FJR and ST1300 have long enough shafts that the effect is so minimal you rarely notice it.

My Guzzi 1200 Sport (CARC) had zero sensation of jacking effect, and I think the geometry of the VFR all but eliminates it from being perceptible.

You're right. Guzzi, BMW and Kawi all do similar things to achieve the same effect. The old Maxim XJ650 and XJ700 I rode long time ago suffered the shaft jacking, but their power is more modest and the long-ish cruiser wheelbase made the effect less noticeable.

What also made the VFR1200 a joy to ride is the lack of "felt" drive line gear lash. My C14's gear lash was terrible ON/OFF throttle in the lower gears, which made smooth shifting a real challenge. Since I ride solo 99.99% of the time though, it was tolerable. Carrying a pillion, it was tough not to make them clonk helmets.

Archived