5Th Gen - Anyone Skip The Cylinder Drain For Coolant Change?

VFRFahnder

The drain on the block is a major pain in the ass to get to, let alone remove, unless I pull the oil filter off.

Also, not much fluid seems to run out of there.

Does anyone skip it and just drain the system at the water pump alone?

• Member Contributer

Yep. I did a drain and flush, followed by a refill. Never even bothered with the cylinder head drain bolt. Everything I read indicated that it wasn't worth the hassle.

Sent from taptalk with spell check and political correctness disabled

• Member Contributer

I did not have any problem doing mine...IIRC. About to do it again.

The drain on the block is a major pain in the ass to get to, let alone remove, unless I pull the oil filter off.

I agree

I just drain at the waterpump which drains both rads, I dont care about residual in the heads

• Member Contributer

I skipped it. When I did mine I didn't have a manual and did not find the cylinder head drain. I didn't think it was worth worrying about.

• Member Contributer

I wonder if you made the same mistake I just did. I thought it was the bolt right above the oil filter but it's actually the bolt above that one. It's the one in the pic that has a copper washer on it.

post-14663-0-33873100-1381378113.jpg

• Member Contributer

I always removed mine and then hit the radiator with a hose to flush the motor for a couple of minutes. Does it make a difference? Who knows.

• Member Contributer

I always removed mine and then hit the radiator with a hose to flush the motor for a couple of minutes. Does it make a difference? Who knows.

I like the idea of flushing the motor but I thought it was not a good thing to put tap water in there.

Archived