A Bit Of Confusion Here...

CHUCK2

I would just like to say, that I have a few spare harnesses from various bikes that have broken ground wires. None of them were soldered... All oem done to a price point via crimp only.

You will not crash and burn due to soldering. Wires will break at an improper connection, period. Limiting flex at any joint will extend the joint life.

• Member Contributer

:beer::beer: :beer:

Your avatar is cracking me up.

Owl eyes and a Rolling Stones tongue or something. What? :goofy:

You got the Stones tongue right. Eyes are from a famous actor.

-- I leave the tongue stuck on the headlights on the bike. It gives me a grin every time a see it. I like watching other peoples reaction to it too.

• Member Contributer

:beer::beer: :beer:

Your avatar is cracking me up.

Owl eyes and a Rolling Stones tongue or something. What? :goofy:

You got the Stones tongue right. Eyes are from a famous actor.

-- I leave the tongue stuck on the headlights on the bike. It gives me a grin every time a see it. I like watching other peoples reaction to it too.

Marty Feldman?

Marty Feldman?

Beat me by that much.

• Member Contributer

:blink: My post seems to have gone---> :offtopic:

Oops...I used the wrong font type :ohmy:. mello dude is going to be---> :pissed: !!

:laughing6-hehe::laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Oops...I used the wrong font type :ohmy:. mello dude is going to be---> :pissed: !!

Naw.. ...arial is just easier to read.... :smile:

So - whats your next move if any?

fledmean.png

• Member Contributer

back on topic,,, what kind of solder did you use? i should have put FLUX CORE in my post...

dont worry about it breaking.. i do this to ALL the hondas i work on. as the vfr isnt the only glitchy bike...

• Member Contributer

Naw.. ...arial is just easier to read.... :smile:

So - whats your next move if any?

fledmean.png

Well...Tightwad is looking over my numbers. I'll wait to see what he has to say. In the mean time, I'll be changing the coolant & oil.

• Member Contributer

^^^ Dude - Tightwad is going to tell you the same thing we have already told you, what else do you want to know?

• Member Contributer

back on topic,,, what kind of solder did you use? i should have put FLUX CORE in my post...

dont worry about it breaking.. i do this to ALL the hondas i work on. as the vfr isnt the only glitchy bike...

Not sure on the type. My neighbor gave it to me along with the iron he let me borrow. I trust he gave me the proper type.

^^^ Dude - Tightwad is going to tell you the same thing we have already told you, what else do you want to know?

Well...I'm thinking that I should replace that connector which he sells. And I wanted his opinion. He's been very helpful in the past.

• Member Contributer

I'm sure the connector is no worse off electrically than it was before you globbed all that cold solder on there. It just looks uglier now.

If you applied a bit of flux, and a good amount of heat you may be able to get it to flow, but you've then subjected it to another extreme heat cycle which can make it brittle, and will likely melt more of the insulation off the wires.

I stand by my suggestion to solder crimped connections to improve their ability to conduct under adverse conditions. The reason MIL spec calls for crimps only is they are cheaper to produce, and will likely last the planned service life of the equipment. You won't find many 15-year-old VFRs in military service.

Soldering is a learned skill just like riding.

Archived