New Member With First Generation

babysteps55

Hi there, I am a new member with a 1985 vf500f; finally joined up after lurking for quite a while. I bought the bike unseen, for 200 dollars, as they are quite rare around here and I had long harboured an affection for the look of these bikes. It turned out to not even be a rolling chassis, as the front tire had partially melted and would only skid. No body work and it had obviously been stored outside for a number of years. Thankfully it had the airbox on it so the engine internals at least stayed relatively dry. Dash was on it, but also suffered fire damage and was melted unreadable. Sounds like a pass you say? I agree but I'm a sucker for resurrecting this kind of junk. In a early session with the bike I managed to spin it over with a boost; no battery (or the box) or solenoid, and compression was fleeting . Not unusual for an engine with this past. I had drained a bit of oil from the drain plug previously and it looked good so I was somewhat encouraged.Maybe not a total waste of $200? I'll try and get a photo posted and add some follow up in the near future.

post-28221-0-49159400-1377382757.jpg Well I did find a photo. It proly does look more like a parts bike but that's the kind I rescue. Thanks for the welcome! I've since bought a tank for it but need a cap for it. Anyone know of a non-oem supplier or another model's cap that will work?

Welcome to VFRD. Restoring these old bikes can be rewarding and/or frustration; not usually cheap. $200 sounds like a small investment for a parts bike. This is a good start. The most cost effective way to restore an old bike is to get a hold of a complete bike that has all the hard to find parts in use-able condition. One that has a fixable defect so the price is not as much. What you have is a bike that has been stripped of all the hard to find parts that can be easily sold at high prices. It would be expensive and time consuming to start with only the cheap easy to find parts and try to find difficult expensive parts one by one. The good news a complete bike of that age could be found fairly cheap. A common problem with this model is cam shaft damage do to inadequate oil circulation. A kit can be added to provide better oil circulation if the engine is not damaged. Restoration is not for the faint of heart but yields great rewards if done smart and well.

welcome to the club. I've got an 84 and have put a lot into it, but I'm having a great time

working on it and riding it. Yes parts are hard to come by, but they can be had. I did manage

to get a number of small parts form Honda Canada ( I think most of there old stock is in Vancouver),

and some from assorted bike yards in Canada. I would agree that if a better bike comes along it

would save you time and trouble, but you should still be able to get what you need with a bit of looking.

I am just finishing a restoration on my '76 KZ900Ltd, how does your Kz look?

Garrypost-23161-0-52676100-1377538399.jpgpost-23161-0-52676100-1377538399.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have 5 VF500's in various state of disrepair, let me know if you want to buy a set of plastics or a tank...I should have two bikes to sell within 6-7 weeks and one that I wont part with.

addictive.

• Member Contributer

$200 is better than the local guy who wants $150 for just the frame and swingarm (with title).

You have a lot of work there. The biggest problem will be if you have to take the heads off. You cannot find new head gaskets for it anymore. Well, I've seen some new thing on ebay from some UK company selling gasket kits, but not sure if they have the head gaskets. Only other option is custom, and that's getting to $100 a set, though a group buy might drop that price down.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the forum and don't let the condition of your bike discourage you. Yes, parts for these are harder to get than for other bikes, but they're out there if you look hard enough and are patient. I see VF500's for sale in the area occasionally, but from what I understand, shipping from the U.S. to Canada can be expensive. Put a parts list togethre and start picking away at it. See if you can get the carbs cleaned out good enough to start the bike using an aux. fuel tank. As long as it runs decent, you can restore it over time, and $200 was no big deal for the initial investment.

Best of luck!

Thanks again for the welcomes and boy do I feel like a fool! What I have is a vf750f not a 500 like I somehow originally posted. So much for my preview! I know this is going to be an expensive project but if you do it over a number of years it doesn't break my overall budget. Buying another parts bike is a option but they are usually about 600 miles away, so to get it home is a costly venture. I do a lot of parts buying on ebay, but shipping costs can certainly be prohibitive. There are a few sellers that only charge actual mailing costs and with others I try and combine items to shave it down. Lots of stuff I will just pass on entirely because of inflated shipping charges. Cdn sellers are usually a lot better and preferred, price-wise. I suspect this bike will be over 2 grand in the end; if the engine is decent. I plan on pulling the valve covers off when I have the engine out. So I'm looking for cheap 1st-gen 750 parts, esp the fuel cap if anyone is interested. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a cap from Britain that seems the right size but will not hinge, not an ideal set-up. That's a nice LTD, Lobotomy, what make is the exhaust you have on there?

• Member Contributer

now that I look at your posted picture on the computer instead of on my phone, yes, that is a 750 frame not a VF500 unit.

I have no parts for you. :wink: I am still looking for my original 750 though...enjoy the build!

The exhaust on the ltd is an old original Mac, but I'm starting to get some rust forming

at the collector so it will be coming off for a cleaning. My VF750F is running pretty good right now,

but this winter I'm thinking of doing the clutch and it's time for paint. There are a number of bike

yards in Canada, as I'm sure you know, and I've had no problems getting parts I need or rebuilding

parts I have. Enjoy working on it and be sure to post pictures as you go! (on the Ltd the only parts

it did not come with were the original exhaust and the left side cover, other then that I have all the

original parts- If you know of an original exhaust for it let me know)

Garry

• Member Contributer

I have 5 VF500's in various state of disrepair, let me know if you want to buy a set of plastics or a tank...I should have two bikes to sell within 6-7 weeks and one that I wont part with.

addictive.

I usually just skip through these comments but when CC writes a response I always read it

AND WELCOME and he is serious about his 1st gen's.

Well, with a bunch of wiring simplfying and carb rebuilding, the Interceptor runs! That's a relief. Actually starts and idles better each time I start it. I can hardly wait to take it for a rip down the street. Mind you I'll have to jury-rig a lot of stuff but a short ride would reveal what all needs attention other than the obvious. I picked up a new front tire to be mounted first and the back one holds air but has a section of the sidewall is melted. A plastic lawnmower fuel tank should hold enough gas to get me round the block I hope. Stay tuned!

Well I got my short ride in, with minimal equipment on the bike, only rear brake and no foot pegs,etc. No mufflers, rad, dash, etc. I did detect that it doesn't really like to build revs very quickly; and adding choke didn't really help any. I'm relatively confident in my carb rebuilding , so not sure what's going on. Also after setting up the bike on a level surface I can see the rear spars of the frame aren't even. Something has twisted the rear of the frame it appears. Oh well, gottta go back to work and mull over these latest developments.

Well I've came across a 83 frame for sale in supposed good condition. This might be an easier solution than repairing the 85's bent rear frame. Does anyone here know of any parts that won't transfer from one frame to the other? Looks like the steering bearings are the same but the swingarm is a different part number. I sure would appreciate any insight into this swap that anyone can offer. Thanks, Ron

Archived