Rain Oversuit Suggestions?

• Member Contributer

I have a summer one-piece mesh suit (Olympia Stealth) that I really like for protection and ventilation, and I have a winter Joe Rocket waterproof and very warm jacket that I like. But my Frog Togg's Road Toad raingear has disintegrated after about twelve uses. FT's reaction was to point out that the suit is/was 14 months old and that their warranty period is 12 months.

I considered buying an Olympia Odyssey suit, but when I called them to talk sizing, their response to the "is it really waterproof" question left me unhappy. What they said was "everything will leak if it's really raining."

So I am looking for suggestions for a two piece waterproof (for real) and breathable (also for real) suit to wear over my Olympia suit. I don't want to waste money on another flimsy suit, and am willing to pay. Any and all insight would be appreciated.

• Member Contributer

Wow. I was going to suggest a Frogg Togg..

I have been using some Marmot rain gear. It's on the thin side, and after hours in the rain it works it's way through. Not meant for high speed pounding, but works great on foot.

• Member Contributer

Say what you want about Harley-Davidson... But they have some really nice rain gear... It's not cheap but you do have several choices to choose from.

• Member Contributer

Say what you want about Harley-Davidson... But they have some really nice rain gear... It's not cheap but you do have several choices to choose from.

98355_11VMB_M_275c8.jpg

The specs look good, and the price isn't crazy, but I just can advertise their brand.

98355_11VMB_M_275c8.jpg

The specs look good, and the price isn't crazy, but I just CANNOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES advertise their brand.

fixed it for ya!

• Member Contributer

My wife just got me a tourmaster sentinel two piece suit. Been rained on a couple of times pretty heavily and it's kept me dry. The leak prone areas are all reinforced and there's a short zip in the back to keep the halves together. It packs fairly decently. The zipper pulls seem a little flimsy at first glance, not sure how they'll hold up long term. Lots of pockets designed to keep water out.

I'd recommend trying it for size if you can. I'm 5'10", 210 lbs with a 34 waist, 32 inseam. I've got large pants and xl jacket. There's some restriction of movement, but I've certainly got enough freedom to ride comfortably.

As things stand right now, I would buy another set of this.

• Member Contributer

98355_11VMB_M_275c8.jpg

The specs look good, and the price isn't crazy, but I just CANNOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES advertise their brand.

fixed it for ya!

Really? ... nice. Just had to throw the mud, huh.

How about just ...No, thanks.

• Member Contributer

My wife just got me a tourmaster sentinel two piece suit. Been rained on a couple of times pretty heavily and it's kept me dry. The leak prone areas are all reinforced and there's a short zip in the back to keep the halves together. It packs fairly decently. The zipper pulls seem a little flimsy at first glance, not sure how they'll hold up long term. Lots of pockets designed to keep water out.

I'd recommend trying it for size if you can. I'm 5'10", 210 lbs with a 34 waist, 32 inseam. I've got large pants and xl jacket. There's some restriction of movement, but I've certainly got enough freedom to ride comfortably.

As things stand right now, I would buy another set of this.

Thanks, Dawson. I'll take a look.

Anyone have experience with Motoport Aero-Tex? I really like their approach and you can't beat "Guaranteed to be 100% Waterproof/Windproof/Breathable for the life of the jacket." They do high viz, and there's no HD logo!

• Member Contributer

I have no experience with it, but a motoport 2 piece suite is on my wish list.

98355_11VMB_M_275c8.jpg

fixed it for ya!

Really? ... nice. Just had to throw the mud, huh.

How about just ...No, thanks.

If it makes you feel better, I don't advertise Honda either. I do not own a single article of clothing with "Honda" emblazoned on it. I am not a billboard.

• Member Contributer

I have an orange hi viz Icon rain suit and it does the job. It is two piece and just fits nicely over whatever gear I have on. I keep in packed in my side bags and throw on as needed.

Here is a link to a You Tube review of the item.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfUjVAl5Ggg

• Member Contributer

Could be you just got the wrong Frogg Toggs. I have the Elite Highway suit and it is several years old and still waterproof as ever

http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/EliteHwy.shtm

However, looks like it is out of stock...don't know if you can find it.

This might be a good alternative:

http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/HighwayToadz.shtm

• Member Contributer

I have a pair of Dry Rider two piece suits that are probably at least 15 years old and they still work well. Nothing fancy, bright yellow, but they do what they're supposed to do.

• Member Contributer

Thanks again, everyone. I am going to call Motoport today and share my delicate measurements.

• Member Contributer

I have a Tour Master one piece rain suit. It works. I rode in a steady rain for about 3 hours once and stayed very dry and comfortable. I did have to replace the front zipper with a heavier one. The originals are just too small and flimsy. Even with that issue, I am still happy with the suit.

I have a 2-piece Kevlar mesh Motoport suit with the rain liners. I have used the liners a couple of times (mostly when it was cold though, and not really raining). They are more of a pain to put on since they go under the mesh suit, but that approach actually makes sense to me. I've seen plenty of regular rain suits burned on exhausts, or torn up for one reason or another. Having it under the mesh actually protects it.

• Member Contributer

I have a 2-piece Kevlar mesh Motoport suit with the rain liners. I have used the liners a couple of times (mostly when it was cold though, and not really raining). They are more of a pain to put on since they go under the mesh suit, but that approach actually makes sense to me. I've seen plenty of regular rain suits burned on exhausts, or torn up for one reason or another. Having it under the mesh actually protects it.

I won't go back to rain liners. The idea of soaking the jacket and pants (and their contents) is just too depressing for me. I am going through the measurement process to order Motoport's external, breathable rain gear.

I have the two-piece Tour Master Defender. I've used them for years and it's held together well. It's waterproof but doesn't breath.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/raingear/2_pc_suits/tour_master/defender_two_piece_motorcycle_rain_suit.html

I've also had the Tour Master "Defender" 2-piece rain suit for several years now and it has kept me dry in some very nasty downpours. This is one of the best riding gear purchases I ever made. I only wish I could find waterproof gloves as good as this suit. Even the very nice (and expensive) BMW gloves I bought last year leaked a bit riding through a storm last month.

Here's a link to Tour Master's page for the Defender suit: http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=88&cat=8

You might find this suit at a local dealer, but if you cannot, MotorcycleGear.com sells it for $90. (See superfunkomatic's link to their site.)

• Member Contributer

I have the two-piece Tour Master Defender. I've used them for years and it's held together well. It's waterproof but doesn't breath.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/raingear/2_pc_suits/tour_master/defender_two_piece_motorcycle_rain_suit.html

I've also had the Tour Master "Defender" 2-piece rain suit for several years now and it has kept me dry in some very nasty downpours. This is one of the best riding gear purchases I ever made. I only wish I could find waterproof gloves as good as this suit. Even the very nice (and expensive) BMW gloves I bought last year leaked a bit riding through a storm last month.

Here's a link to Tour Master's page for the Defender suit: http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=88&cat=8

You might find this suit at a local dealer, but if you cannot, MotorcycleGear.com sells it for $90. (See superfunkomatic's link to their site.)

Do you find the lack of breath ability to be an issue? I am a sweater, and don't enjoy the boil in a bag experience.

Archived