What Would You Do?

canadianvfr

• Member Contributer

What to do? I had a blast last year riding around BC and part of the lower 48 states and I love my VFR but..... my better half wanted to ride with me so I bought her a 2009 Suzuki S40 a nice light 292lb 650 single cylinder cruiser, needless to say she rode it twice and parked it. Now we would like to start touring 2 up. The VFR 800 is not exactly the best 2 up sport touring bike especially if your um around 240 and da wifey is 180 if you get what I mean! Right so I have an option right now to trade in my VFR (After I take the farkles off and sell them) the dealer is willing to give me $6500 on trade plus $6000 for the Ninja 1400 which has 10K on it. Both are mint.

My perplexing thought, I have the option of buying a 2012 Concurs 1400 for $15,999 with zero km's. I trade both in and I am left with having to pay $4500 for the bike. Now there is a new 2010 VFR 1200 I can pick up for $13,000. or better $0 if I trade both bikes in. Then luggage will cost $2500 for oem or $1300 for Givi set. The Connie comes with matching hard cases and the top piece would cost me $800.00

Warranty for the VFR would set me back $760 for 3 years but the Connie comes standard with 3 years.

VFR is a 2010 but the Connie is a 2012...What to do What to do???

I have a 2007 Candy red VFR with 20000km, mods are pazzo levers, sergeant seat, Shoria battery, HID's, Puig touring screen, Heli Bars, Powerlet plug. OEM Trunk and side luggage cases, BMC air filter.

Everything but the luggage will be sold to help pay the difference.

I am sure I could ride the hell out of that Kawasaki and for pure comfort the Connie wins but the VFR is well a VFR great one up after I swap the seat out and make some risers.

Does anyone here own or has owned the Connie 1400?

What would you do?

• Member Contributer

Why not look at an st1300 maybe a couple of years old ,they are very reliable lots of fun comfy and reasonable inexpensive

I have both the C14 and VFR1200. I don't do any 2up, but if I do, C14 is a lot better rig. I originally bought the C14 thinking I would do quite a bit of touring, for which the C14 is brilliant. I never did tour as much as I had hoped, so I'd rather get something that would tour decent solo, but a lot more fun on shorter rides. So I bought the VFR. The C14 will be up for sale soon.

• Member Contributer

My vote is with the Concours. I went from a VFR to a Connie with two up touring in mind. Since our girls were small and needed supervison, the two up trips rarely occurred. When they did happen, the Kawasaki was perfect but I just spent too much time on it alone and wanted something lighter if it was just going to be me as much as it was. That is the only reason I got rid of it. They also have a similar website that is mostly mature, supportive, very knowlegable people. (COG) Concours Owners Group This is an awesome, sport bike that works very well two up!

http://concours.org/

• Member Contributer

My $.02-

The VFR1200 has less room than the Connie by a fair margin. I've not had any issues 2-up, (I'm 270 and passenger was about 160) but I'll tell ya, a 4-hour day would be pretty cramped. Both bikes are great.

There are many things that I love dearly about the 1200. The engine is intoxicating and the handling is spot-on for a bike this big. It is more of a sport bike than the Connie in my opinion, but the Connie is no slouch.

Seeing Adam79 and his lady on their Connie at the Hog Tie last year was awesome... 2-up they were pacing the advanced group pretty well.

When I bought my 1200 I was actually shopping for a Kawasaki. There is more standard stuff on the Kawasaki as opposed to the VFR and more wind protection. The adjustable windshield is a nice touch and there is a lot of aftermarket availability for the Kawasaki as well. What sold me on the VFR was it being a completely unique machine and I'm a total sucker for oddities... and the smoking deal I got helped. It fit the bill for everything I wanted in a machine.

All that to say this: If I was looking for a TRUE 2-up sporting machine, it would be the Concourse over the VFR for ME. Ride both and see what YOU think. :cool:

(Also worth noting, accessories are pretty expensive on the VFR... The luggage especially if you go with the factory kit. That being standard on the Connie is a nice plus. Re-sale values are still a bit iffy on the VFR1200. It's a pretty small market, whereas the Concourse is a machine that has sold a LOT of units and has developed a larger following.)

Go sit on both of them for yourself (and your SO) and compare. I don't think the VFR 1200 has much more room than your current VFR, so if you think your current ride is too cramped, the 1200 will most likely be too.

BTW, I've ridden a lot of 2-up miles on my 5th gen. I'm 275 lbs and she is about 140 which ends up being about the same as you and your SO. Not sure I would want to ride cross country like that, but for day trips, it is fine......and we led a fast intermediate group at T-Mac a couple of years ago too so the bike can do it with some suspension work. My GF has since bought her own 2000 VFR and we each ride solo.

• Member Contributer

I vote for the Connie for sure, but you are probably going to need a suspension upgrade with any bike you choose. Maybe a Goldwing has the nuts for it, I don't know anything about them. My ST1300 is good for my wife and I with luggage loaded. We are 170lbs + 120lbs + gear. If I really push it in the tighter stuff with the luggage loaded, the front will wallow a bit. With the luggage empty we are good to go as fast as I am able (hard parts drag though!).

P.S. I got my 2006 ST1300 two years ago with 18k miles for $6,500...an incredible deal I thought.

There is a new 2010 holdover at Shawnee, OK Honda for about $14,500 I saw the other day.

See what it cost to insure the Kawasaki or the Honda, for some reason the VFR 1200 was considerably more to insure than the Concours14.

I have owned both the ZX14 & Concours14 and enjoyed them both and currently enjoying my VFR1200 with around 74,000 Kilometers and has been trouble free to date.

My wife finds both the Concours & VFR equally comfortable but starts complaining about pain on the ZX14 after just a few hours.

• Member Contributer

Insurance will depend on a huge number of factors. Where you live, age, credit, home or no home, accident history, ticket history, etc, etc.

I added the VFR12 to my insurance policy last week and my monthly only went up $15 US.

Insurance premium will also depend on the model year of the bike. There is a substantial difference between '08 and '13 C14, for example. Liability probably won't be too much different, but any policy that depend on the value of the vehicle will. Still, these sorts of considerations are secondary. First and foremost is whether the bike fits your mission.

One thing to keep in mind is that the rear subframe of the C14 is made of steel members to handle the heavy load of serious touring - 2up and full of gear. Hence the reason the C14 weights 700 lbs ready to ride. In contrast, VFR1200's subframe is cast aluminum - very sturdy no doubt - but designed with more emphasis on weight management. There is no right or wrong, just different compromises. Ideally, I would like to keep both, but my current needs point more towards keeping the VFR1200 and my SV1000S instead.

• Member Contributer

Did you already trade in the Suzuki?

When I sat on the 1200, the seat felt pretty much the same as the other VFRs.

Go for the Connie, or one of the many other options. FJR, C14, ST1100/ST1300, Goldwing

• Member Contributer

I owned a 2010 C14,bought it in 2011,put 7,600 miles on it in one season. Mine had a VERY high frequency buzz that would put both hands and both feet to sleep,around the 70 mile mark of any ride. I did everything,rubber mounted the handle bars,installed Phils wedges, rubber mounted the foot pegs....took the bike to the dealer..retorqued the engine mount bolts.... never got it right. There are lots of threads about it on the Connie boards. The Connie is a great superslab mile eater....BUT the VFR 1200 will eat it with ease in the twisties. I traded my C14 for the VFR last March 17th(new leftover)..after 7,400 miles on the VFR in one season she's a keeper for sure. For me the C14 was a overweight inline 4 buzzing nightmare.....a souless ride....while the VFR has PLENTY of soul....and I just can't wait to ride her again....the VFR DCT is a sublime ride.

• Member Contributer

I don't ride 2-up, but the ST1300 is pretty awesome! I've let CornerCarver ride it with his wife and they seem to love it! To the point where I may have to require cash deposit up front to insure I get it back.

I've riden the VFR1200, and I did like it. Again, not 2-up. I thought it was pretty similar to my '99 ergonomically.

Connie has a ton of HP, but it is an inline 4 (read above) and will go through the rear tires. Plus the range is like an 800. Better than the 1200, of course, but I can't get over that 7.7 gallon tank on the ST1300!

zedXmick, I've read about the high-freq buzz on C14 forums. I don't doubt you or other C14 owners who have/had that problem. I'm puzzled by it because mine to me is dead-nuts smooth, almost too smooth. The lack of vibration, combined with the weight, stability and wind protection, 90mph on the C14 feels like 70 on my other bikes. But it could be the individual machine, and/or the rider being more susceptible to it. My handlebars are stock, with grip puppies being the only mod.

Personally, I prefer a bit more "character" to my motorcycle engines. VFR1200's V4 has just a hint of it to remind me there is a beast pumping between my legs. The SV1000S OTOH has "character" in spades. I just love the V-twin staccato. Too tiring on long rides though.

For 2up touring, also check out the Trophy 1200 or FJR1300, both new this year. The Triumph is a euro luxury ship, similar to the RT and K1600, with the same more-upright riding posture. FJR is closer to the C14 in nature - actually a bit sportier and lighter weight as well, but a fraction less wind protection.

I had similar experience as Volfy as far as the smoothness of the C14 (super smooth), whereas on the VFR after several hours of continuous riding definitely have a tingling sensation on my hands. VFR has lower handlebars which contributes to putting more pressure to the hands. The stock windscreen on the C14 at the highest setting would give me uncomfortable wind buffeting. Adding Cee Baily tallest windscreen solved all the wind buffeting issues.

I agree with most C14 is a better touring machine compared to the VFR.

If lane splitting is applicable, C14 is wide, actually wider than the Goldwing

I never understood the need for a key fob for the Kawi, you still have to use a key to start the bike and open the gas cap.

The key fob is another much maligned feature of C14. The "key" to ownership happiness (pun intended) is to get a spare key cut (mine costs $4). When I go ride the C14, the fob goes into my pocket and never sees the light of day till I get back home. I keep the spare C14 key on a keychain along with my house keys, garage remote and GIVI top case key. I work the fuel cap and panniers with the spare key.

My problem with the FOB is that it works so well, I used to forget to pull out the ignition key when I ride my other bikes. Lucky for me, it was at work with security-fenced parking lot. Front desk called me and told me the security guard saw the key still in the ignition.

I would look at the ST1300 or a BMW R1200R/RT. The Concours is a great bike, but a bit more limited in its usage. I ended up getting a R1200R with windshield and bags myself and wife, which becomes almost an RT, but I can take it all off and have a standard bike. In terms of handling and power it is like a VFR800 with more torque, but a more relaxed riding position. I haven't been this pleased with a bike since I bought my '85 V65 Magna!

A VFR1200 certainly has plenty of power for what you want, but the riding position doesn't lend itself for long distance riding for me unless I put a tank bag to lay on.

I think any of the bikes mentioned in this thread will probably need a bit beefier rear shock for 2 up with luggage.

• Member Contributer

Volfy, I had grip puppies also,and even tried lowering the foot pegs.....in 2011 I test road the C14,VFR (manual & DCT) and a Ducati multistrada 1200 S touring. My favorite was the Ducati,followed by the VFR DCT then the C14. I couldn't swing the 22K for the Ducati,the Honda dealers wouldn't budge off MSRP for the DCT and I got a great deal on the leftover 10 C14. I have owned Kawasaki's before and had no problems.....I sure felt disapointed....lived with it for a year,then last March the Honda dealers were giving great deals on the DCT....happy as a pig in s%#t with the VFR!!

• Member Contributer

Well I have made my decision! Wife and I sat on the Connie then the VFR, she finds them equally comfortable, so that was a plus for the VFR, I talked to a couple of local Connie riders and took one for a ride, I felt the buzz in the bars and the bike just seemed to big, so I have just sold my 2007 VFR800 for $7800 cash and have ordered a 2010 1200 with DCT for $12,500 out the door! In Canada if you can believe it! Trust me in BC (Bring Cash!!!) that's a fairly good deal!

I think I will order Givi bags instead of the OEM bags, I like the idea of a 45 litre top case.

What I really love are some of these dealers out there that love to play with numbers...to their advantage!! They were only offering me $6000 for my 800 so I told them that I would place the bike on Kijiji and have it sold in a week for $7800, well the dealer just smirked and said "You can try but I'm sure no one will touch it for that price." Hum let's see posted 2 days ago , 4 offers, one confirmed sale sight unseen!

The Suzuki sold for $ 3500.00 (dealer wanted that bike as well).

All in all I can't wait to bring my new baby home and start farkling her out!!!

Now all we need is another Nelson meet in BC.

What I really love are some of these dealers out there that love to play with numbers...to their advantage!! They were only offering me $6000 for my 800 so I told them that I would place the bike on Kijiji and have it sold in a week for $7800, well the dealer just smirked and said "You can try but I'm sure no one will touch it for that price." Hum let's see posted 2 days ago , 4 offers, one confirmed sale sight unseen!

They don't call them stealerships for nothing!

Well I have made my decision! Wife and I sat on the Connie then the VFR, she finds them equally comfortable, so that was a plus for the VFR, I talked to a couple of local Connie riders and took one for a ride, I felt the buzz in the bars and the bike just seemed to big, so I have just sold my 2007 VFR800 for $7800 cash and have ordered a 2010 1200 with DCT for $12,500 out the door! In Canada if you can believe it! Trust me in BC (Bring Cash!!!) that's a fairly good deal!

I think I will order Givi bags instead of the OEM bags, I like the idea of a 45 litre top case.

All in all I can't wait to bring my new baby home and start farkling her out!!!

Now all we need is another Nelson meet in BC.

Congratulations, Canadianvfr!

Based on my experience, I am sure you will love her and I will be watching for you on the twisties of the interior this summer. Another Nelson meet would be brilliant!

Congrats on the DCT. Glad you are able to keep your username relevant. :happy: CN$12.5k is a heck of a deal. Yep, selling bikes on your own will always net you more cash than trading in. Can't really blame the dealers really. Afterall, they've got to make some money selling your trade-ins.

Did not know you can still order a 2010. I guess Honda must have a glut of those left in warehouses still.

Archived