6Th Gen Gas Gauge

WGREGT

One more thing: On this new-to-me '07 model, if I fill it up right to the top, when I start it up naturally I get the full range of bars on the gas gauge. However, within only 7-8 miles one bar disappears already. Normal? Thing sure doesn't stay full long.

And lo, she is THIRSTY! Not wanting to start a MPG thread, but man.....about 150 miles till the last bar flashes and I start looking? For at least one tank I should carry a small 1 gallon gas can in a saddle bag and see EXACTLY how far I can get, just so I'll REALLY know.

• Member Contributer

That's normal...the first bar goes away in just a few miles. I haven't kept up with your aftermarkets, but if you are running a PC, you will get less mpg. Colder temps = less mpg, and if you have a partially or totally stuck open thermostat your mpg will suffer greatly...DAMHIK. Also, E-10 will give me less mpg by about 10% from 100% gas.

• Member Contributer

That's normal...the first bar goes away in just a few miles. I haven't kept up with your aftermarkets, but if you are running a PC, you will get less mpg. Colder temps = less mpg, and if you have a partially or totally stuck open thermostat your mpg will suffer greatly...DAMHIK. Also, E-10 will give me less mpg by about 10% from 100% gas.

:1:

• Member Contributer

As far as the first bar dissapearing right away, that happens on mine too. As far as overall milage, even with the PCV installed I can get at least 180 mi out of a tank, I have been able to even squeeze out 190-200 mi at times. Of course this all depends on how i ride but as this is my "commuter" and most of the miles I put on are highway miles, I think this works out for me. If I do any spirited riding, then of course the mileage drops some. That being said, it is known that the Power Commander does change your MPG some, usually for less MPG. Right now I am using a map I downloaded from the downloads section here and it seems to work well, but my ultimate goal is to get a proper dyno tune and see if it is practical to get a high performance and high milage map. The tuner I spoke to said that it is possible, but not sure how practical it would truly be.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

If you are running stock fueling, this sounds real low. I figure 30-35 commuting, about 180 when it flashes; 40+ touring on the flat open plans, about 225 when it flashes. I don't use ethanol, and most of my riding is 50 F+ airtemps. Cold weather does knock it down, as will a strong crosswind or headwind.

This bike has Staintunes, PC5, an aftermarket air filter, and the PO told me he got a map from either this forum or VFRW. And it runs flawless, no VTEC hit at all, perfectly smooth from idle all the way up. So, I'd prefer not to mess with that part.

Sounds like the quickly disappearing bar is per normal, so that's good to hear. And there's no ethanol/E-10 in CA, from what I hear, so that's out.

My mileage per tank has been 155 to 175 before I get scared and fill it up, so it sounds like that is normal as well. I'm gonna get a gallon can and run it dry and see where I sit. The last bar starts blinking at....about a gallon left, is that right?

• Member Contributer

This bike has Staintunes, PC5, an aftermarket air filter, and the PO told me he got a map from either this forum or VFRW. And it runs flawless, no VTEC hit at all, perfectly smooth from idle all the way up. So, I'd prefer not to mess with that part.

Sounds like the quickly disappearing bar is per normal, so that's good to hear. And there's no ethanol/E-10 in CA, from what I hear, so that's out.

My mileage per tank has been 155 to 175 before I get scared and fill it up, so it sounds like that is normal as well. I'm gonna get a gallon can and run it dry and see where I sit. The last bar starts blinking at....about a gallon left, is that right?

Since the PCV has the cpability to run two maps, albeit not simultaneously, you can always try a different map and see if there's a difference in mileage/performance, without losing your current settings. All you need is a computer with the software to download the second map and a toggle switch. Right now I have a customized map I got off of VFRD and a "stock" map. So far I've been good with the small drop in MPG vs. the performance I'm getting. Howver, I don't recall which map though, as the laptop I had used to download and load the map has been repurposed! I believe that you can "retrieve" the map from the PCV and save it so you always have a copy, which is something you might want to do for backing up what you currently have. That is unless the PO gave you an electronic copy or the link to the download. I installed a toggle switch on my dash by using one of the holes that one of the push clips was in and took about 15 minutes to install, switch and wiring.

Oh yeah, not sure about the amount of gas that is left when the light flashes, on my bike i equate each bar to about 20-25 miles, so that's what I use for how far I have left to go!

A good and simple idea is to fill your tank, reset your trip. Then at the next fill up take note of the miles done and the amount of gallon used.

Then you divide your miles done by the amount of gallon = mpg easy.

But then you take your fuel capacity: lets say 4.8 USgal on a 6th generation and subtract the gallon of your last fill up.

Lets say your calculation are 38mpg, and you have 0.978 gallons left in the tank. 0.978 multiply by 38mpg = 37.164 miles left in the tank. You are probably really safe to run an extra 15-20 miles.

A good site to register your vehicle (car and motorcycle) is Fuelly.com http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/vfr800%20interceptor

With that site, you register your cell phone to your account, learn how to text your stats, then at each fill up you text your stats: miles, price and gallons. You receive instantly your mpg after that and the site is keeping track of all your stats and you can see others also and compare or customize your stats...

To see your VFR spec go to; http://www.motorera.com/honda/h0800/intercep.htm

The disappearing first bar is normal for 6th gen.

I've gotten 250mi with 50+ mpg on a tank- but that was doing 60-65mph range on the highway for several hours so it doesn't get much more perfect scenario than that. You still have plenty of gas left when that bar starts to blink- don't let it scare you!

-Drew

I have Staintunes and K&N installed on my '02. I always TOP it up, wiggle the bike and TOP it again. This yields 20 miles for the first bar. Then roughly 150 miles until the last bar, black. 12-15 miles until the red blinking begins. In areas I know well (along my commute route, HWY.101) I will venture another 30 miles. Net, 210 to 215 miles. I generally have a couple of tenths of a gallon left in the tank. I ride medium aggressive 35-85 MPH on the commute. When sporting around or out my "known" area I generally start looking for gas when the red blinking begins.

I have switched to 87 octane regular and this has increased my MPG by probably 5%. These figures have been very consistent over 30,000 miles.

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

I understand this is a 6th gen thread. On my '01 fifth gen I have confirmed repeatedly that the last bar starts blinking with one gallon left in the tank. I'd imagine the same for 6th gens but I could be wrong.

• Member Contributer

Just picked up on this thread.

My 08 has the same 1st bar low mileage, usually around 15 miles before I lose it. Thereafter much better and more consistent.

I average 45mpg (that's proper gallons) or around 10 miles per litre which should give me around 220 miles to an empty tank. On my routine commute (170-mile round trip) the flashing last bar comes on around 165-170 miles and with approx 1 gallon remaining, that gives me over 200-mile tank range.

The only way I can get the fuel consumption to significantly worsen to well below 200+ miles/tank is to sit in the Vtec range a lot more so unless a bike is setup poorly, low tank mileage must be due to throttle handling (using full a lot?) or where the revs spend a lot of time.

JMHO of course.

Archived