R1 Suspension Upgrade For Christmas! (W/ Pics)

I've been collecting parts for my suspension and brake upgrade for a few months now and I nearly have everything. Just need some 2" longer SS brake lines but I'm holding off for those since I found out last week I'll be leaving Jan. 18th for another deployment to return August 15th. Love the Navy!! I have my new JDM shock to install also.

2005 Yamaha R1 front end w/ 1k Racetech springs and JDM shock

dscn3089h.jpg

I figure I'd rather spend my last few weeks/days riding than wrenching so it's all going on the shelf until I return. Sucks but what ya gonna do.

Until then I squint at my bike and try to vizualized the purdy new front end.

dscn3091p.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice looking bike, and great looking project. Our'87 has a gsxr front end on it, along with the rims and brakes.

Stay safe over there!

Nice looking bike, and great looking project. Our'87 has a gsxr front end on it, along with the rims and brakes.

Stay safe over there!

Oh yeah??? I don't believe you without pics!!!!!!!!! (aka, I'd like to see pics of that please!)

Thanks guys. I'll keep everyone posted when I get it all together.

• Member Contributer

Feel free to run the bike and all parts up to me. I'll get it all together and as a favor to you, I'll ride it all summer just to make sure everything is working properly. :tongue:

Should look cool.

Feel free to run the bike and all parts up to me. I'll get it all together and as a favor to you, I'll ride it all summer just to make sure everything is working properly. :tongue:

Should look cool.

Ha! You know, if you weren't all the way up north I would probably take you up on that because as soon as I get back in August I'm just going to want to ride and if there is anyone I'd trust with a wrench on my bike it'd be you or Seb or VFRCapn, RS and a few others on here.

• Member Contributer

I'm sure after a summer deployment, riding would be tops on my list as well. Stay out of Yemen and stay safe!

• Member Contributer

Stay safe over there!

Oh yeah??? I don't believe you without pics!!!!!!!!! (aka, I'd like to see pics of that please!)

Thanks guys. I'll keep everyone posted when I get it all together.

OK, something for you to look forward to during your deployment. Here you go:

post-25409-0-01324100-1356387071.jpg

post-25409-0-19300900-1356387087.jpg

post-25409-0-42252900-1356387106.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice!!! Thanks for the pics. I've never seen a 2nd gen with USD forks on it.

No problem. I'd like to be able to tell you more about it, but we bought the bike like that. I was just happy to find the bike. The modifications were a nice bonus!

Okay, I'm a liar!!!!!!

Well, the weather this week has been shit. Upper 30's and rain so I decided on New Years Day I would install the Jamie Daugherty rear shock since I had nothing else to do. Well, that went easy. 2 hrs. and done. So, I decided that I would start my forks on Thurs. 1 pm on Friday the new forks are installed and I did 40 miles with them in today. It only took about 7/8 hours start to finish. No hiccups and pretty easy install. Can be done faster but I took my time and double checked torque on bolts, etc. etc. I went with HEL front brake lines +2". I think they are the perfect length.

Completely different bike with the suspension done on both ends. The front brakes are incredible but not scary like I thought they would be. I think I have to raise the forks up a few mm. Right now the are currently flush with the top triple. I took it easy in the twisties due to cooler temps and a brand new front tire. Seems to handle well enough though and talk about a smooth ride One negative, U-turns and pushing around the drive way/garage are definitely not fun. Talk about 10 pt. turns.

Anyway, here's some pics.

dscn3143d.jpg

dscn3140h.jpg

• Member Contributer

It looks fantastic.

I never got used to the limited steering lock on my swap. I hated it every day. I would have gone back to stock if I didn't get a set of triples made.

That white and red is striking!

• Member Contributer

Looks great. What's the limiter on the turns, is there a steering stop or are they just hitting the frame? Any pics of the install?

• Member Contributer

Looks awesome! Sorry you had crappy weather, but you sure made the most of it. Our '87 had pretty limited steering when we first got it, but that was due to the clip-ons hitting the gauges. The PO had them angled too far forward. A little adjusting helped a lot. After swapping the GSXR clip-ons with a set from an RC51 things are much better. (Thanks again vfrcapn.)

I hope you get to ride it a little before your deployment.

The steering limit is pretty restrictive. Not much fun making a U-turn in the driveway or pushing around in the garage. No stops currently, it'll touch the frame. I'm not sure it's to big of a deal. Not once on my ride yesterday did I notice it. Just getting out of the driveway is when it appears.

• Member Contributer

Bravo Zulu on the swap. Thanks for your service.

The limiter on the steering is the different offset of the fork centerline as it relates to the steering stem centerline and that is why I have yet to complete a USD swap. Maybe this winter will find me successfully solving that issue.

Smackdoogle, when you return we should go for a fall ride.

Thanks guys. I raised the forks into the triples about 12mm this morning to help with the "lite" feeling while on the highway. We'll see how that works out. While in there I look closer at my steering stops. Seems as thought the forks are hitting the front sub-frame. Again, I don't yet think it's to big of deal but time will tell.

Corner Carver - I'm all for fall rides. I'm also open to winter, spring and summer rides!!!!!

Archived