VFR800 Titanium Headers

Guest in2rusty

Guest in2rusty

Has anyone had any titanium headers made for the VFR800 Vtec? If so how much were they?

Also does anyone know a good titanium exhaust fabricator in Sydney Australia?

I looking into my latest mods for my 2002 VFR. So far ive done all the usual. Staintune Exhausts, PCIII, O2 elims, K&N filter, Braided lines, 3 Way adjustable Ohlins rear shock. Now i'm looking into cutting down some of the weight.

• Member Contributer

The exhaust is going to be a pretty expensive place to lose weight from. That, and losing weight on the 6th gen isn't exactly easy. Might be better off buying forged wheels for it. Or do a front end conversion on it, and then get a forged front wheel.

I understand a set of titanium headers isnt the cheapest way to lose weight, but as i still have the stock headers, i was going to upgrade to the motad headers. Also I would like to put a side mount MV F3 exhaust on it.

Rather than pay $700 for the motad headers, i though why not sell the staintunes and do the whole lot. So if i can sell the staintunes for say $750 and the new fabricated system costs $2,500 them im only out of pocket by $1750 ($1000 more than i was gonna pay anyway) and i lost a few kg's.

• Member Contributer

I understand a set of titanium headers isnt the cheapest way to lose weight, but as i still have the stock headers, i was going to upgrade to the motad headers. Also I would like to put a side mount MV F3 exhaust on it.

Rather than pay $700 for the motad headers, i though why not sell the staintunes and do the whole lot. So if i can sell the staintunes for say $750 and the new fabricated system costs $2,500 them im only out of pocket by $1750 ($1000 more than i was gonna pay anyway) and i lost a few kg's.

It'll cost you more than $2500 to get a set of titanium cans made up, the complexity of the headers and a custom 1-off job would see you up around the $3.5 - $4k mark... Is $6k plus really worth it on a bike worth the same $$$

Priced all materials for headers $1000 delivered. So that that leaves $1500 for fabrication.

I figure a good exhaust fabricator should charge $80/hr. Therefore $1500 of fabrication is 20 hours. I only deal with onsite fabricators in my job, so im not too sure on timings.

I rang around and spoke with a couple of exhaust shops regarding it, one seemed reasonable.

I'm not worried about over capitalising my bike.

• Member Contributer

Not sure if they is a supercharger for a 6th gen, but if you make the bike more powerful you will care less about losing the weight.

:warranty:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/62726-aa-performance-6th-gen-supercharger-kits/

If you're going to forge ahead with this, it won't cost you too much more to make 2. If there's another crazy soul out there you might recoup more of your investment by making a second set.

That is NOT saying I'd be interested, btw.

I just thought of another option. But it isn't Ti.

Two Brothers, Erion Racing, and Borla all made stainless steel headers for the 5th gen. If you could find a used set (good luck) they would also fit a 6th gen.

How about the Delvic stainless headers they have on ebay? 279.00 or so. Will those do the same thing?

Two Brothers, Erion Racing, and Borla all made stainless steel headers for the 5th gen. If you could find a used set (good luck) they would also fit a 6th gen.

How about the Delvic stainless headers they have on ebay? 279.00 or so. Will those do the same thing?

I have looked at those myself. I was wondering if anyone here had used them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Priced all materials for headers $1000 delivered. So that that leaves $1500 for fabrication.

I figure a good exhaust fabricator should charge $80/hr. Therefore $1500 of fabrication is 20 hours. I only deal with onsite fabricators in my job, so im not too sure on timings.

I rang around and spoke with a couple of exhaust shops regarding it, one seemed reasonable.

I'm not worried about over capitalising my bike.

I hope you find joy with this - titanium is a bitch to weld, 99.999% pure argon must be used to ensure no impurities in the weld, welded parts must be immersed in the inert shielding gas until they cool, internal and external shielding is required unless you are welding in an argon enclosure... I think your guestimate of 20 hours in fabrication may be closer to about a third of what is required by the time satisfactory patterns are made up, parts cut and assembled and lets not forget the actual cutting... You can't just throw an angle grinder at titanium without work hardening it and making fabrication difficult, you'll need to laser or water cut it...

If you do follow through, I'd love to see the final result, well fabricated titanium is a beautiful thing to behold :smile:

If you do follow through, I'd love to see the final result, well fabricated titanium is a beautiful thing to behold :smile:

Yes it is. I get to see it every day at work. Unfortunately we don't do any Ti tube work! :sad:

You will be hard pressed finding an exhaust shop that will be able to weld titanium professionally. I don't see any benefit on a 6th gen at all going titanium headers with the minimal amount of weight you will lose compared to the weight everywhere else. Now if it is weight lose your really after for a much better overall value for your money then here are some suggestions. Sell the staintunes & buy carbon or alloy mufflers with motad headers, replace the standard battery with shorai battery, replace the complete steel sub frame with a fabricated alloy sub frame, replace the front end with inverted forks & lose the link brakes so you can remove all the link brake gear. All that will make allot of difference as it has with my bike except I couldn't be bothers fabricating a replacement sub frame.

• Member Contributer

There's a thread on here or on vfrworld on those headers. Piss poor quality control. Guy showed pics where they just torched holes into the piping then welding on the other piping. So you go from what ever the I.D. is of the tubing to two small holes you can fit your thumb into.

Archived