Sprocket Sizes - Decisions Decisions

phoenixfire

What sprocket configuration do you ride?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. What type of sprocket configuration do you ride?

• Member Contributer

Okay, I've got an '06, and I'm ready to go -1 on the front, do I also need a new chain, or will stock do? And If I do, any reccomendations on brand/type of chain?

My understanding is an '06 is a sealed o-ring type? What's a good place to pick up a 16t front?

Thanks in advance!

The 6th gen has a 16T as standard, 5th gen have 17T.

Not sure I would go a 15T as it makes the angular velocity very high.

Better off adding 2 teeth to the rear.

• Member Contributer

The 5 & 6th gen internal ratios are different, so as the original poster has a 5th gen, then you need to work from the OE of 17/43.

16/43 or 16/44 will give the best compromise of faster acceleration, but with minimal effect on mpg. I

f you want the best of both worlds as stated, then you need a Rapid Bike fuel module with custom tune or MTB with 13.8 or 14-1 AFR across the board, or only in the cruise rpm range & richer elsewhere or use the fuel accelerator pump setting to get richer when you wind the throttle on & lean burn at all other times.

• Member Contributer

Okay, I've got an '06, and I'm ready to go -1 on the front, do I also need a new chain, or will stock do? And If I do, any reccomendations on brand/type of chain?

My understanding is an '06 is a sealed o-ring type? What's a good place to pick up a 16t front?

Thanks in advance!

I used a DID ZVMX 530 - very stout chain. Overkill for the VFR, but it should give good service life. Whatever the brand, I would go with plated - though it costs more, it will look better and resist corrosion better than bare steel.

• Like 1

Don't be too scared about going smaller on the front. VTEC came with a 16T front from the factory.

I went -1, +1 on my bike and I love it. If mpg were my goal, I'd own a scooter. Seriously, what's a few mpg going to do for you? Still better than driving just about any car...

seb, is that on your 6th gen?

• 3 months later...

I have used the oem (16/43 530) chain and sprockets, a DID 15/43 520, a DID 15/46 520 and now a 17/43 520.

OEM combination was okay, nothing really worth noting. Speedometer is slightly optimistic.

The one down up front 520 DID was great with good acceleration and decent highway cruising. MPGs are not really effected. 80mph indicated is 70mph on gps.

The one down / three up 520 was insane, enough torque to pull a house off its foundation, but terrible highway cruising. City MPGs are a little better, while high speed highway MPGs suffer somewhat. 60 MPH indicated equals 50 on GPS.

The one up in front/ factory rear and 520 chain is pretty boring, acceleration is still okay, it just requires more clutch slip. It will still power up in first and clutch up in first fine, but it requires more effort to stand up than the other combos and will not wheelie second unless you are already up. It is great for long distance highway cruising though and has better high speed highway MPGs. I believe the speedometer is dead on accurate with this combo, maybe even a tad under actual.

Edited by CandyRedRC46