Reached a milestone today!

• Member Contributer

I started today's ride at 159,880 km - that's 120 km shy of 160K km or 100K miles. It's 50 km from Kaslo to New Denver, and about another 10 km to the lookout point just south of Silverton on Hwy 6. Yeah, that should just about do it.

On arrival at the lookout:

IMG-20120812-01061.jpg

IMG-20120812-01062.jpg

At the highway pullout just outside of Kaslo:

IMG-20120812-01063.jpg

IMG-20120812-01064.jpg

And home - right on target:

IMG-20120812-01067.jpg

It was a beautiful day! :tour:

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the milestone!

I'm at 95k miles myself.

BR

Thanks, but you're on an '02 and I have a '95 (though purchased in '96). Regardless, just goes to show that Honda makes these bikes for the long run.

Congrats on the milestone!

I'm at 95k miles myself.

BR

Thanks, but you're on an '02 and I have a '95 (though purchased in '96). Regardless, just goes to show that Honda makes these bikes for the long run.

All miles are good miles especially on a VFR!

BTW forgot to mention how great your bike still looks!!!

BR

• Member Contributer

Congrats! I will be there soon! at 87,500 hopefully this year :tour: and what a nice road to go back & forth on!!

• Member Contributer

Well seems I was a little premature. I am only at 99,419 miles. It's 160,934 km that is equivalent to 100K miles. Got my conversion wrong. Darn!

• Member Contributer

No worries on the conversion, still a good mile stone! I have 90k, 55k, 20k, 12k (miles) on mine and still going strong!

• Member Contributer

No worries on the conversion, still a good mile stone! I have 90k, 55k, 20k, 12k (miles) on mine and still going strong!

That's quite the VFR collection you have there! Awesome. I sometimes think that's what I should do too....if I had any money.

• Member Contributer

Congrats! Just curious, any major maintenance performed or major engine work during all those miles?

Chuck

Nope, just regular oil changes, sometimes in spring and sometimes in fall. I haven't been particularly fastidious about them lately, though I do keep records so I know how neglectful I've been. A couple of years ago I had the same oil in there for 1 1/2 seasons. That's sacrilege I know for many here but I use a good quality oil (Motul semi-synth) with OEM or K&N filters. Intervals were probably on the order of 7-8K km. I'll have to check.

I did valve checks at 25, 50, 75 & 100K km but all in spec so don't bother doing them anymore.

It's on its second chain, OEM & DID, both with about 80K km. I've got new sprockets & chain on hand but haven't gotten around to installing them yet.

The electrics, a VFR weak point, have been very reliable. Heck I don't even have a voltmeter! Now having said that the R/R died in year 6 or 7 but the OEM replacement is still working. I've replaced the battery 3 times, a couple of headlight bulbs (H4 with bent tabs) and a taillight bulb. And that's about it.

Well seems I was a little premature. I am only at 99,419 miles. It's 160,934 km that is equivalent to 100K miles. Got my conversion wrong. Darn!

But still...Congratulations!

• Member Contributer

Not far off 50,000Km on my 4th Gen. Yours looks shiny and nice for 160k. Nice work!

LOL! Truth is there are lots of scratches, broken tabs and repaired cracks. Worst is around the grab handles which has Plastifix'd cracks. I sanded on the good side down to bare plastic which you can see clearly. And not so clear is the red electrical tape on the tail section to keep it from rattling apart. The fuel tank lived under a Bagster cover for most of its life so is scratch free and shiny. I have to fix a strap on it which is why its naked in the pics.

That is impressive! Glad to see you can do so many miles on the bike without much major issues. Thanks for sharing.

Added one other question about maintenance...did you have to take any extra care for the carbs or add anything to the gas to keep it clean?

• Member Contributer

That is amazing. Your plastics & tank still look great too. I'm curious what you did to take care of your chain to get 50,000 miles on both of them?

I recently sold my '94 750 with only a little more than 20,000 miles on the ODO. Before I sold it, several people commented that they loved it but the miles were way too high--they wanted something reliable. LOL. I love these posts.

• Member Contributer

That is impressive! Glad to see you can do so many miles on the bike without much major issues. Thanks for sharing.

Added one other question about maintenance...did you have to take any extra care for the carbs or add anything to the gas to keep it clean?

I add fuel stabilizer (Stabil or Seafoam) to a full tank for winter hibernation. Sometimes I drain the float bowls but that's about it. Though one year I did both and it wouldn't start in spring until I replaced it with fresh fuel. Meanwhile I totally ignored the wife's CBR600 and it fired right up, so sometimes it's a crap shoot.

• Member Contributer

That is amazing. Your plastics & tank still look great too. I'm curious what you did to take care of your chain to get 50,000 miles on both of them?

I recently sold my '94 750 with only a little more than 20,000 miles on the ODO. Before I sold it, several people commented that they loved it but the miles were way too high--they wanted something reliable. LOL. I love these posts.

WD-40 every 200 km or so or after wet ride, and that's it. I'm all about keeping the chain clean. I think the dirt that chain lube attracts acts like sandpaper and just kills chains. I used to use chain lube on the CBR600 but hated the mess it left behind on the white wheels and the short 12K km chain life. So I switched to WD-40 after reading about it in Motorcyclist. I give the chain a quick spray and wipe down the swingarm & wheels. It takes a couple of minutes post-ride and gives me a chance to examine the tire for damage too. But I have to admit I've gotten lazier with the VFR because the black wheels don't show the dirt and I don't ride in the rain anymore.

Just shy of 50K (miles) on my 1994. It's had 2 R/R's (the last one being a MOSFET) A few bulbs, and the rear master cylinder rebuilt. That's it other than maintenance. Somewhere along the lines I think it had a chain and sprockets before I got it, they are too good to have 50K on them.

Cosmetically it's great other that the cracked and patched tail plastics, and the seat cover is on its last legs.

• Member Contributer

WD-40 every 200 km or so or after wet ride, and that's it. I'm all about keeping the chain clean. I think the dirt that chain lube attracts acts like sandpaper and just kills chains. I used to use chain lube on the CBR600 but hated the mess it left behind on the white wheels and the short 12K km chain life. So I switched to WD-40 after reading about it in Motorcyclist. I give the chain a quick spray and wipe down the swingarm & wheels. It takes a couple of minutes post-ride and gives me a chance to examine the tire for damage too. But I have to admit I've gotten lazier with the VFR because the black wheels don't show the dirt and I don't ride in the rain anymore.

Just curious as to how many k's you get out of a chain with only WD-40? I continuously hear people alternately claim that they lube stuff with WD-40 and then the next person will claim that it has no lubricating qualities. I've always felt that things moved easier after a squirt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Just curious as to how many k's you get out of a chain with only WD-40? I continuously hear people alternately claim that they lube stuff with WD-40 and then the next person will claim that it has no lubricating qualities. I've always felt that things moved easier after a squirt.

It's on its second chain right now, the original plus DID replacement, so that's about 80K km. And yep, the chain moves easier afterwards. Another big benefit is that the swingarm and wheels stay much cleaner. If I had white wheels I would use it instead of lube for that reason alone, like on the wife's CBR.

I recently sold my '94 750 with only a little more than 20,000 miles on the ODO. Before I sold it, several people commented that they loved it but the miles were way too high--they wanted something reliable.

That is so true. For people who ride a lot, at 20K you have to decide to either sell now, keep it forever, or take a hit selling it with more miles on it. This also works in our favor since you can also buy bikes with more than 20K on them for a lot less money.

I have 80K miles on my current 97 and counting. I sold my 91 with 75K miles on it, plus a few other non-VFR high milers in between. Even after logging tons of miles on much newer and bigger bikes I have found nothing that compares to the VFR. These are truley the most over-engineered motorcycle ever built. If you can keep up with the cosmetic blemishes there is no reason a VFR can not go for a few hundred thousand miles and look great doing it.

Oil and filter changes at 6K miles intervals, tires at 10K miles and chain/sprockets every 25K miles are my only maintenance items. How you get 50,000 miles out of a chain is a mystery to me. I am going to give up chain wax and try WD-40 or equivalent.

Archived