Ok, it's a whale!

Guest Sneakers

Guest Sneakers

I got to ride a 2006 Yamaha R1 Limited Edition with factory Ohlins Suspension.

It was super light! It was like a bmx bike. One toe down when at stop lights..What weight?

It fit like a glove and handled sweet! Power was different, more rev happy.

I even liked the seat and the riding position wasn't too bad. Just a little more cramped up front.

After the short ride I got back on shamu and thought "oh boy, I bet this is why the 6th gen and previous vfr owners are so upset!"

Our bike is more touring than sport. It's sporty yes, but in a Cadillac Escalade way vs Ferarri way.

I felt like I had just hopped on a big scooter when I rode my bike home. Slow turning and you feel the bikes weight working against you.

That said I love my bike and enjoy it's comfort on longer highway rides.

It's heavy yes, but, brakes are great, wind protection for me is awesome, handles speed very well and is not tiring to ride all day!

Sport bike nope.. Hmm maybe a CBR600R would be a nice second bike..mmmm

Looking at the Honda USA website I can understand the confusion. In the rest of the world the veefalo is not positioned as a sport bike, because it isn't, but as a sport tourer.

Sport bike nope.. Hmm maybe a CBR600R would be a nice second bike..mmmm

Although it is s true sport bike, it is low on power compared to your VFR. Why not get that R1 instead, or a Fireblade, ZX10 etc?

Two of my friends have R1's so I hear you on the power. I guess a CBR1000RR would be better suited to keep up with those two. I don't want them wondering where I went off to again..

I better get a radar detector for it. The VFR is hard enough to keep at legal speeds.

I just coundn't get over how light his R1 was. It was so smooth too. Good for short hour or two rides as it was a little short up front.

Bit harsh comparing VFR1200 to any sportsbike, even a 6th/5th gen there not in same bracket. The VFR1200 in my opinion shouldn't have the sports tourer tag, just tourer. The VFR1200 is just to heavy but on saying that I have had a ride on the 2012 ZX14 which is a little heavier than the VFR1200 but boy what a bike. I have never ever ridden a bike with such smooth power & fuelling from factory that is perfect, you can be in top gear doing 40kph & it doesn't protest with shudder or even poor throttle response, yet open it up & it will rip your arms off. It isn't much heavier than the VFR1200 but boy does it handle so much better. Do yourself a favour go test ride one just to see what is possible & how far Honda got it wrong with the VFR1200.

A Basketball Player cant beat a Baseball Player at his own sport and vise-versa. If a Litre bike is a Basketball Player and a full ST is a Baseball Player then I'd like to think of a VFR12 as a BASEketball player.

That said, I do like the zx10-abs a lot lot. Maybe its time to start thinking about changing my sports career to basketball. :tour:

Like the saying goes its like comparing apples to oranges.

+1. There are many differences between newer VFRs and true sportbikes. VFRs have their strengths and weaknesses, just as all other bikes do.

You want an almost R-1 but with comfort!

FZ-1 is your answer.

Or the FZ8S, had them on my radar when I was looking for a new bike. Still glad I got the VFR though. R1's are like arse holes, everyone has one.

I must admit that the bike the OP is talking about, the bumblebee livery R-1 LE with the factory Ohlins suspension, is a pretty sweet ride. The later Fiat Yamaha rep did not have the Swedish boingers.

2006YZF-R1LE.jpg

• Member Contributer

Lots of great bikes on the markets these days.........something for everyone.

I have a 6th gen VFR, a litre bike, and a 600. Guess which bike is fastest on a twisty road.........the 600 by a good margin. Horsepower is not that big of a deal unless you just want outright straight line speed.

That being said I would not mind having a ZX14!!

Bit harsh comparing VFR1200 to any sportsbike, even a 6th/5th gen there not in same bracket. The VFR1200 in my opinion shouldn't have the sports tourer tag, just tourer. The VFR1200 is just to heavy but on saying that I have had a ride on the 2012 ZX14 which is a little heavier than the VFR1200 but boy what a bike. I have never ever ridden a bike with such smooth power & fuelling from factory that is perfect, you can be in top gear doing 40kph & it doesn't protest with shudder or even poor throttle response, yet open it up & it will rip your arms off. It isn't much heavier than the VFR1200 but boy does it handle so much better. Do yourself a favour go test ride one just to see what is possible & how far Honda got it wrong with the VFR1200.

That's because the 14R is several pounds lighter than the VFR. 50 lighter than a DCT actually

If anything, even putting the VFR next to the R1 is a form of flattery in it's own.

It's a completely different bike that doesn't even pretend to be about the same things.

To me the VFR is more than fast enough, just like any 600 or litre bike would be, but on top of that it's very comfortable, easy to load up, comfortable two-up, has tonnes of low-down grunt so allows for lazy shifting, looks distinct (I take my black one to customers all the time) and sounds like almost nothing else because of the V4.

In short, I love it and it does all the things I want. Comparing a VFR to a R1 is like comparing a Caterham to a Cayman. One is great fun, the other one is a compromise of fun for practicality and everyday use. Neither will appeal to all people.

That's because the 14R is several pounds lighter than the VFR. 50 lighter than a DCT actually

ZX14R Kerb Weight 268 kg

VFR1200 Kerb Weight 267 kg / DCT 277 kg

The ZX14R is actually 1kg/2.2pounds heavier that the VFR1200F

• Member Contributer

I haven't had any interest in the litre's but I love the look of the R1.

I love riding my VFR8, but I got a silly grin when I tested a GSXR600. I am very very keen on buying a GSXR750 as it's the same size bike with the 750 size that I love. I've also ridden the Ducati Streetfighter 848, but really didn't enjoy it. Lastly I've also ridden a Hayabusa recently and while it was really nice, I didn't come away with the silly grin like its smaller cousin.

I have an '08 CBR1000RR that is great for shorter rides in the twisties and track days. But, on a long ride or a 2-up ride the VFR is always my bike of choice. In fact, the VFR gets ridden more than the CBR and MV put together. The bike's weight isn't the issue that spec sheet studiers claim it to be.

ZX14R Kerb Weight 268 kg

VFR1200 Kerb Weight 267 kg / DCT 277 kg

The ZX14R is actually 1kg/2.2pounds heavier that the VFR1200F

I wonder if the weights are different in the US then. Here the ZX14R is listed at 584.3 lbs. and the VFR1200F is 591 lbs. I believe the DCT adds another 30 lbs on top of that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

zx14 have notorious roll on fuelling issues. there are fixes for them. kinda like the vfr.

i highly suspect the zx you rode had those issues resolved, as well as suspension work done to it. i found the stock zx a one trick wonder... pull the trigger and hang on. once the susp is worked over, it becomes a much, much better motorcycle.

Hell my vtec felt like a dirt bike after climbing off a 1200. Pretty heavy steering feel at lower speeds, but the faster you go the better/lighter it felt. :ph34r:

My vtec also steered much better than the 05 GSXR1k I road. :huh:

BR

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Don't be so harsh, Mr Club Racer....I have an 05 FZ1 and a 2012 VFR. Similiar bikes with similiar intent (Sport Touring) when they were introduced, Also I had an 86' FJ1200 which is a little closer to the VFR, than the FZ...but

anyway. The VFR is much more refined, and purposeful. Strong as hell, and very capable in any area, but don't expect it to be a Sport Bike, or a Goldwing, especially an R-1. I have had my bike on the 1/4 track, in the twisties, 4,000 miles in 45 days. Now that its cooler in Vegas I ride it to work and back every day. Yeah, it's a little porkier than it needs to be but that adds to the stability, and confidence. It's finish is gorgous, I get compliments all day, every day, and with the Two Brothers Pipe, at 10k it sounds like a Blown V-8. An article came out when the 7th Gen was introduced. It mentioned how Honda should have managed expectations better. Many wanted a V-4 CBR...what they got was the next version of the VFR. Shaft Drive, single sided swingarm, a few more bells and whistles, but still a VFR. I love mine, its unique, fast, and a 700 mile a day bike, no issues. It will most likely be the last bike I get, unless a succumb to the Harley marquee as a midlife crisis.....no, probably not.

Bit harsh comparing VFR1200 to any sportsbike, even a 6th/5th gen there not in same bracket. The VFR1200 in my opinion shouldn't have the sports tourer tag, just tourer. .

I have to disagree. A sport-tourer is exactly what it is. A sportbike for the road, with shaft drive, with virtually identical specs and performance to a K1300S, the other sport tourer benchmark. Sportbike handling, sportbike brakes, sportbike accelleration but on a bigger more comfortable bike that is more accomodating for long rides.

It has a far superior power to weight ratio and better brakes than a 5th or 6th gen.

Sportbikes: R1, CBR, GSXR, ZX.

Tourers: FJR, ST1300, Concours, K1600

Sport Tourers: VFR, K1300, Ninja 1000, FZ1, etc.

Archived