Ok, it's a whale!

Guest Sneakers

Bit harsh comparing VFR1200 to any sportsbike, even a 6th/5th gen there not in same bracket. The VFR1200 in my opinion shouldn't have the sports tourer tag, just tourer. .

I have to disagree. A sport-tourer is exactly what it is. A sportbike for the road, with shaft drive, with virtually identical specs and performance to a K1300S, the other sport tourer benchmark. Sportbike handling, sportbike brakes, sportbike accelleration but on a bigger more comfortable bike that is more accomodating for long rides.

It has a far superior power to weight ratio and better brakes than a 5th or 6th gen.

Sportbikes: R1, CBR, GSXR, ZX.

Tourers: FJR, ST1300, Concours, K1600

Sport Tourers: VFR, K1300, Ninja 1000, FZ1, etc.

It seems that some say it is too sport some too tourer. So it seems to be a perfect compromize. I wouldn't put luggage + wife on a R1 :tongue: .

Personally I'm just missing a Ducati -name tag, but that's another story... :happy:

• 2 weeks later...

Bikes are like women. The 1200 is like "Christina Hendricks". Voluptuous, curvy, with some nice junk in the trunk. You can ride her all day and she looks great wearing one of your T-shirts while she's scrambling your eggs the next morning......

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Wondering why the comparisons? An R1 vs VFR. One is a race bike with lights, one is a very sporty tourer. I have an FZ1, and wanted something with better long range skills, and better with a passenger. A Goldwing was out of the question, and the FJ1300 was more touring than sport. I owned a 83, and a 97 VFR, in between both was an 86 FJ1200, it was stolen in 1994, and found 3 months later totaled. That motorcycle was perfect. Great on the long road, great as a sport bike, and great with a passenger. Now, fast forward 25 years. Honda updated the VFR with an updated motor, a no kidding shaft drive, ABS, 160 HP, and 620 lbs. My VFR is simply the best, and most refined sport bike I have ever owned. I think it is a mix of adult sport bike, and modern updates, with the amenities that a 49 year old man needs. It's smooth, well mannered, and plenty sporty. The weight is a non issue, it makes the bike stable, smooth and predictable. As soon as its underway, it's mass and weight are gone. When I'm on the North Shore road in a 90 mile an hour sweeper, there is nothing better. VEEFALOE, no way, if you think it's that bad, you should sell it, and get something else. For me and my money, there is nothing that even comes close.

• Member Contributer

When I'm on the North Shore road in a 90 mile an hour sweeper, there is nothing better. For me and my money, there is nothing that even comes close.

Ride a K1300R and you *might* be persuaded. :tour:

• Member Contributer

Oh no you didnt!.. Blasphemy!!! Just kidding. The comparisons, or lack there of, you bring up are exactly why we all need a three car garage with a couch and a wood stove. A collection of bikes for all moods, occasions and roads. The YZF750r for those nostalgic rips less then 2 hrs. The FZR400 for non competitive track days. The BMW R90/6 for the short ride to the vintage meets. The R1 to release pure mayhem on the tristies. The RZ350 to feel like Kenny back in the day. The... You get the idea. Comparisons are missing the point that each bike is what it is and is to be appreciated for what it is. For me right now the VFR is a bit of all those in one bike, but not really lacking in any category. BTW, cruisers are for suckers! :laughing6-hehe:

I'm surprised folks continue to whine about the weight of the vfr. I mean are those folks dropping their bikes all the time or something? The market is FULL of uncomfortable teeny weeny lightweight wonders that handle far beyond what 99.9% of riders are capable of. Nice machines no doubt ( had a '06 cbr1000 ) but the folks that want something sporting but more capable of long rides need choices as well. VFR is one of 'em.

VFR1200 is no litre sportbike. I've had 2 - ZX10R and RSV1000R. Fun as they are, I cannot ride them for any more than a couple hours before either wrists or back hurt. I just recently traded in the RSVR for an SV1000S, which has same V-twin character I love, but with better reliability and ergos.

The 1200 is best compared to the Triumph Sprint ST - weight-wise, and in terms of sporting intentions and ergos. I had an '09 Sprint ST 1050 and the VFR1200 feels very similar. The Triumph's packaging leaves me wanting, so I traded it for a Concour 14. The C14 splits Sport and Touring about 40:60. VFR1200 splits them about 60:40. As much as I like the packaging of the C14 (saddlebags, motorized windscreen, keyless ignition, TPMS, etc.), I'm finding out that I still prefer more Sport in my Sport Tourer. At 700 lbs, the C14 is the whale, and makes the VFR1200 look like a dolphine.

I wouldn't take a VFR1200 to the track, any more than I would the C14. That's what the track bike is for. But for everyday commuting, back roads carving, and the very occasional 3-4 day tours that I do, the VFR1200 is perfect.

Archived