Sfarson, this one is for you! Rotterdam - *even more* new pics

• Member Contributer

04403f06.jpg

A flat topped windmill to match the flat topped church tower..

For the man that gave us these fantastic then and now USA shots.......

The Rotterdam area, where his familty roots lie, used to have a lot of medieval buildings in its city centre.

The http://en.wikipedia....Rotterdam_Blitz incendiary aerial bombing by the Nazis; wiped it of the map.

a7338928.jpg

This how it looked after the rubble was cleared...

The Laurenskerk had been there since 1525....

1c6a2d23.jpg

As you will see, need to perfect the angles.... :tongue:

bf9ace73.jpg

This is how the church looked around the 1640's..... The sphire was wood and was removed after 1645.

0a89de68.jpg

And now.....

d9f534e6.jpg

And confirmed fact, Dragons eat doner kebab too :tongue:

067eff3c.jpg

So do pigeons by the way....

d929ed60.jpg

With the church having a flat top, I had to look hard for the obligatory dutch windwill picture....

:laugh:

• Member Contributer

I can't imagine the destruction that was brought down on Europe during that war. Thanks for the picture and proof of resolve of the European countries.

Dutchy... Thanks and WOW. Talk about leveling a city. And that historic church crippled but seemingly in a way, still standing defiantly (and beautiful today). I wonder the extent the bombing was indiscriminate, and if residential areas felt the fury of the bombs as well, and thus, if the home from my mom's side of the family is still there. Thanks Dutchy.

• Member Contributer

Well, you give the adress and we'll have a look... :tongue:

I will try and sneak my bike in those pictures then as well

The city centre was targeted on purpose. To force surrender by "any means".

The Nazis (I always write that on purpose because I donot want to link WW2 to current Germany) invasion was halted at a few key spots in the Netherlands. The airborne troops that landed near/on Rotterdam airfields could not advance either. So an ultimatum was given. The surrender of Rotterdam was given late after some stalling tactics. By that time the squadrons were already airborne. The German troops near Rotterdam saw the planes coming, feared "friendly fire", so fired the "ABORT" red flares with success, one squadron peeled off. The other squadron didnot see that and created a Guernica, Coventry, Dresden.....

The subsequent Nazi threat to bomb more city centres made the Dutch capitulate.

Intresting. I have been to Rotterdam once, 1997 when passing thro on a motorcycle trip. Did stop to eat thro, nice city, but had no clue it was so totalled during WW2. I should had been more awake on the History lessions.............

• Member Contributer

Some more pictures...

What the area used to look like and what the square in front of the church looks like today...

front

d164f477.jpg

back

5ec82bfc.jpg

area (church in background)

ff2436e3.jpg

(Sphire was removed in 1645)

Today

(not a perfect stitch but there you go...)

22557a8e.jpg

Fine set of nose hairs Dutchy .............. :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Euro men don't clip their nose hairs as Euro women don't shave their armpits....it's a sexy kind of thing in the continent.......Right Dutchy?!

Beck

• Member Contributer

Euro men don't clip their nose hairs as Euro women don't shave their armpits....it's a sexy kind of thing in the continent.......Right Dutchy?!

Beck

Nah, that is old skool,

these days there is no more hair, anywhere......

:ph34r:

Beck

Nah, that is old skool,

these days there is no more hair, anywhere......

:ph34r:

Now that is TMI. :laugh:

J/K. Nice pics, I like the old architecture. :fing02:

How about reports on visits to the local "coffee" shops.

I've heard for years they serve up a relaxing menu. :goofy:

Our local shops have a nice menu, no coffee though. :ph34r:

Dutchy, Thanks for the update. Quite the change. Even noting years such as 1645 is quite the diff versus structures here no older than perhaps 200 years!

• Member Contributer

Likes the area I visited so yesterday toom my family there as well (there is also a large bicycle shop.....)

So here some more (cellphone) pictures from inside the church.

Being a protestant church, it is not as exuberant as some chatholic churches and they host some exibitions.

a6107fd7.jpg

de2fd13c.jpg

16d0ff8f.jpg

And for those who start doing stuff on their bike............

RTFM!!!!

be8fd536.jpg

Pick your Saint

298e3bf1.jpg

I like this motto:

fc768578.jpg

And this one too!

d8b238af.jpg

Dutchy, From a recent ride, and some relevance to where you are...

Paused at Barker Reservoir above Boulder, Colorado. It was built just over 100 years ago by the city of Boulder as a storage and flood control project. Good thing reservoirs such as these were constructed throughout Colorado the past 50-100 years, for during lean snow and dry times (note the fires throughout Colorado at the moment), they capture and store water from bountiful moisture years, like just one year ago when floods were the problem!

Looking east as construction continued and water started to fill the meadows... and cattle saw shrinking pasture land...

barkerthen1.jpg

The dam has been rebuilt since then...

barkernow1.jpg

Looking west before there was a Barker Reservoir...

barkerthen2.jpg

Ehhh, a bit of a change....

barkernow2.jpg

OK, the image above shows the historic mining town of Nederland in the distance, with the ski runs of Eldora up higher. Nederland was a consolidating kind of town, providing central services for the productive mines and now ghost towns up higher. Men from the Netherlands named it Nederland for the town was located on a somewhat small, but nevertheless flat piece of land reminding them of their European home. And how about this, a color "then" image from ~60 years ago...

barkerthen3.jpg

I had lunchtime chow down the street, and after some nice consumption strolled up the hill, turned around, strolled some more, framed things...

barkernow3.jpg

Archived