Tires- please provide input

All,

I just found the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT for 273.xx and would like to know if this tire should fulfil the duties of heavy commuting. I've searched the forum and can't really get a solid feel if this tire will give me mileage and traction (for the rare days I mess around). Link is below. Thanks- ps

Also- I'm a weinie and will not deviate from the 190/55 rear, so any tire without that option... is not an option.

http://www.compacc.c...ackage-Specials

• Member Contributer

I would think the Road 2ct would be a better commuter tire... doesn't give up all that much (if any) in grip, and should last a little longer in theory.

The best all round tyre for me is the PR2 ....... Good grip dry or wet ........... I get 8000m + f/r ........ The size is up to you if they make them.

It's a good deal but you'll likely only get about half the mileage/distance of the PR2 or PR3 tires. The Power is a more pure sport tire that is really sticky rubber, the Road 2/3 have a harder centre for more mileage. The PR2 is an excellent tire and I can consistently get about 18,000 kilometres per set.

I had always Metzeler tyres installed in the past. They never let me down (on average I had 200 days of rain were I used to live). For the first time installed some Pirelli Angels (wouldn't be surprised these Angels are Metzelers, because they are made in Germany), because a lot of Haybusa owners like them. (grip, endurance..) Very pleased with them.

• Member Contributer

(wouldn't be surprised these Angels are Metzelers, because they are made in Germany)

Pirelli bought Metzeler in the mid 80's.

I am more than sold on PR2. They actually do it all, but another option is the Diablo Strada. Not as much grip as the PR2 but a very nice tyre that gets great mileage.

+1 for PR2. Its my favorite tire so far, and I'm primarily commuting on my bike. I ended up getting some Dunlop Roadsmarts this time around because they were on clearance at a price too good to pass up. 1000 miles so far and they are OK, but PR2 still my favorite.

I know you said you are not interested, but FWIW, i did go with 180/55 in the rear, and it feels no different to me at all.

• Forum CEO

I have been using pr2 for the veefalo 7th gen the 190/55 tire in the back, its got a tall profile and is difficult to get to the edge I actually get to the edge of the front tire before the rear. Way better mileage then the oem dunlops that came with it by about 2k miles! Much more sticky for those weekend rides in the hills too. Cant beat that better milage and more grip then OEM tires. Pilot Road 2 are cheaper then the 3's and do better in the dry IMHO but if you live in seattle or any other very wet place the pr3 might be a better option. Consider the milage and price over just a cheap pair of pilot powers. commuting with those will just eat them up quick go with roads over powers if you intend to do a lot of commuting.

PP 2ct's would be a complete waste of money IMO unless your doing track days only!

Standard PP's would be much better suited to your needs than the PP 2ct's but as mentioned the PR2 or PR3 would last twice as long while provide very good grip(better in wet) and much longer life!

No better Grip/Life combo than the Pilot Road 2's. :smile:

BR

Thanks guys, great stuff. PR2s seem to be in order. BTW- I did manage to get through a nasty Oregon winter on the OEM tires. I never really felt unsafe, but now that the front tire has 4800 miles I've felt uncomfortable a few times.

• Member Contributer

I'm a 365 rider myself and wanted the wet performance of the PR3's... I'm delighted. Total change for the bike. You'll love the PR2's, let us know how they work for you.

• Member Contributer

pr3's for a few thousand klicks, and they are awesome. great commuter with great wet grip.

just finished with a few sets of pp's, and althought they offer tons of grip, i found the pr3 turns in very, very nicely. and edge to edge grip has been great. i think if ridden hard they will wear out fast(i think that is how they make this tire work... hard middle, very soft outer tread). been on a few weekend jaunts, and the edges are showing it. i highly suspect a pr2 will out last a 3. never had a pr2, but my bro's been though a few sets.

as a perfomance commuter, i will be buying these again. these things rail in the wet.

If I were going to use the bike for a commuter then definitely PR2s would be the way to go. Maybe a PR2 rear PP front combo.

For my purposes my M3 Metzelers have been holding up well at 3k+ miles and I will buy another set. I'm just gonna stick with what they put on heavier street bikes. K1300s, Busa, ZX14, etc. Anything 560lbs +.

• Member Contributer

I'm on a 4th gen....but I'm on the Bridgestone BT-023's. Over 10,000miles and they are almost worn to the wear bars. Great grip wet or dry for a commuter bike. No unusual wear, and they held up great in heavy rain on my trip through the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I'm probably going to get another set

They also sell a version of the BT-023's for heavier bikes.

If I were going to use the bike for a commuter then definitely PR2s would be the way to go. Maybe a PR2 rear PP front combo.

For my purposes my M3 Metzelers have been holding up well at 3k+ miles and I will buy another set. I'm just gonna stick with what they put on heavier street bikes. K1300s, Busa, ZX14, etc. Anything 560lbs +.

I liked the M3's, but only got 1600 miles out of the rear. Triple the miles and equal grip from the PR2 for me.

BR

Haven't tried the PR2's. However, the PR's (original) and now PR3's (3 weeks) are my favorite tires. Ever. Period.

They rock.

Ride safe

Mark

PS. Oh, any Michelin motorcycle tire is my favorite. Bridgestone and Dunlop suck. Just my opinion. Pirelli ain't bad either. Michelin's best.

I liked the M3's, but only got 1600 miles out of the rear. Triple the miles and equal grip from the PR2 for me.

BR

I've heard of others getting poor mileage on them. I wonder if it has to do with heat or road conditions or riding style. Mine just turned 3k and show very little wear. Had PR2s on my C14 and they would have lasted a long time. Just kept putting nails in them at 2k.

M3 at 3k mi.

Photo0449-1-1.jpg

PR2 at 2k+ with yet another nail in it.

Photo0451-1.jpg

• Member Contributer

Next week I will install the new Metzeler Z8 sport touring tire. I actually wanted to try the new Dunlop Roadsmart2 but the 190/55 won't be available until the end of June, so maybe next time. I also considered the Bridgestone BT23 but unfortunately 190/55 is not an option. I've already gone the PR3 route, the rear had a lot of life remaining even after 6K miles but the front was bald on the sides after 4K miles making the bike very difficult to steer and I don't want to go thru that again, I've commented on it in another thread.

I recently posted about how much I like my bike. I stated my mods. The PR3's are good enough that I consider them a mod on my VFR. I'm just sayin'.

Ride safe

Mark

Next week I will install the new Metzeler Z8 sport touring tire. I actually wanted to try the new Dunlop Roadsmart2 but the 190/55 won't be available until the end of June, so maybe next time. I also considered the Bridgestone BT23 but unfortunately 190/55 is not an option. I've already gone the PR3 route, the rear had a lot of life remaining even after 6K miles but the front was bald on the sides after 4K miles making the bike very difficult to steer and I don't want to go thru that again, I've commented on it in another thread.

\

Solo- I'm with you on the front/back tire issue. My back tire (BT021) still has 85%+, i swear, on it and my front is completely shot. It looks as though I could run another 4800 miles on my rear; replacing only the front. This makes no sense to me at all. I'm still considering just getting another BT021 front and keeping the rear until it actually starts showing wear. The thing looks brand new.

From your experience- could you run a 2 for 1 on your PR3s? or anyone with PR2, would that be possible for you? I don't want to throw a perfectly good tire (argument understood) away when there is little wear.

I've herd that the 12 Eats fronts, if that's the case just replace them as needed and keep running whatever rear that still has lots of life!

Archived