Mity-Vac vs. cheap chinese. Recommendations?

skymon

• Member Contributer

Any suggestions on the best brake bleeding equipment? Is the MityVac brand worth the extra dough? (Like $55 vs $30 for Harbor Freight)

And while I'm at it...How about speed bleeders? If I've got a vacuum bleeder, is there any point in speed bleeders?

Bleeders & Vac's

If you want to change your bleeders, it's a pain in the butt to get air bubbles out.

With the Vac you can just drain the fluid change out though the speed bleeders and it's done... and any fluid change after that is a non issue, time or work.

Wow... I think I just sold myself on that....... :tongue:

• Member Contributer

Thanks Monk. Lemme see if I understand you correctly. You're saying:

"If you just change the bleeders to speed bleeders, it will likely introduce air into the lines and that's a pain (and kind of defeats the purpose.)

So if you change to speed bleeders-get a pump too."

I think I get that. I'm kind of interested in the converse:

If I get a Mity-Vac (or cheaper substitution) is there any point in speed bleeders too? I can only think that they would be a benefit when I don't have access to the vacuum pump.

And also I'm looking for recs on brand of pump.

• Member Contributer

There's nothing to say that the Mity-Vac is fool proof. The lid on mine wasn't very sealing well and would not create a vacuum, until I put enough pressure on the lid to help create a tighter seal. Once I did that it worked great. I would think that speed bleeders would be ideal for quick bleed jobs but that the vacuum bleeder would make replacing the fluid much easier. I would then think having both wouldn't be detrimental.

• Member Contributer

I'm a fan of speed bleeders. Havent needed to use the Mity-vac since I switched over.

• Member Contributer

Speed bleeders and MityVac are two different things in my opinion.

Speed bleeders are great if you are unable to bleed your system by yourself. They make the process a whole lot easier and faster. But, there are ways to do it solo, bikes and cars, without a speed bleeder. So it's only worth it if you're going to be doing it often, like if you're someone who bleeds it if it becomes the slightest bit spongy.

I use the MityVac more for just having something on the end of the nipple sucking all the fluid out when I open the bleeder. Makes sure nothing dribbles out and on the bike. The fluid chamber makes it really easy to dump into another container as well. I'd spend the money on the Mityvac. An extra $10 for a product you know is going to work vs getting frustrated with a cheap broken knockoff.

I'm a fan of speed bleeders. Havent needed to use the Mity-vac since I switched over.

What I'm wondering (I'd be changing it solo)........ Isn't a lot of air involved changing to speed bleeders? There-for warranting having a vac to replace fluid and get all that air out of the system............ where after having the SB's installed and with fluid done, it would just be a matter of sticking the tubes to the SB's and use the vac?

Not sure how the SB's work without the vac?

• Member Contributer

Howdy,

Speed bleeder work great! No vac is needed. No air will get in the lines if you don't open the fluid reservoir until you have the new bleeders in place. If any should, it will come out with the old fluid.

The speed bleeders come in a kit from our member, Tightwad, at http://www.wiremybike.com/

They are super easy to use, all you need to do is pump the brake or clutch, and keep adding new fluid to the reservoir, as you pump the old fluid out. Hope this helps.

Mac

Howdy,

Speed bleeder work great! No vac is needed. No air will get in the lines if you don't open the fluid reservoir until you have the new bleeders in place. If any should, it will come out with the old fluid.

The speed bleeders come in a kit from our member, Tightwad, at http://www.wiremybike.com/

They are super easy to use, all you need to do is pump the brake or clutch, and keep adding new fluid to the reservoir, as you pump the old fluid out. Hope this helps.

Mac

I'm missing something here... If I'm riding my bike and apply the brake nothing comes out the bleeder(if I had SB's).... but changing the fluid I pump the brake and add fluid and the old stuff comes out the SB....... how?

• Member Contributer

Monk

You "crack" the SB open about a 1/4 to1/2 turn to actuate the SB. Once you pump the brake it allows fluid and air excape. When through tighten SB and your done. I use a small length of tubing to direct the fluid into a jar or pan.

Monk

You "crack" the SB open about a 1/4 to1/2 turn to actuate the SB. Once you pump the brake it allows fluid and air excape. When through tighten SB and your done. I use a small length of tubing to direct the fluid into a jar or pan.

Thx, like doing a regular bleeder, w/out the tightening/loosening, repeat thing, sounds good, most have a ball and spring in it?

• Member Contributer

So after much (probably way too much) deliberation, I decided what I really need is speed bleeders. I'm really anal about any sponginess at all. The MityVac is probably in order for the full fluid change but the SB's are what I need for now.

I got them from Tightwad so he'll send me what I need for my 5th gen. I am interested though if anyone has specific info about using them with the linked brakes. Like, for example, I assume one goes on the proportioning valve? Will I need to pump the secondary master cylinder by hand? Should I go with the bleeding order that the manual recommends? Or does that matter?

A. right front caliper outer

B. left front caliper outer

1. right front caliper center

2. left from caliper center

3.PCV valve

4. rear caliper center

5. rear caliper outer

• Member Contributer

Monk

Thx, like doing a regular bleeder, w/out the tightening/loosening, repeat thing, sounds good, most have a ball and spring in it?

Its a basic check valve, so just crack it open, pump till the bubbles are gone tighten it up. - No tightening/loosening routine. Nice.

• Member Contributer

I made my own power bleeder with a 1hp wet/dry vac, compression fittings, some clear tubing, and a pickle jar. It works so good that I threw my MityVac away after using my own bleeder for the first time.

Rollin

I made my own power bleeder with a 1hp wet/dry vac, compression fittings, some clear tubing, and a pickle jar. It works so good that I threw my MityVac away after using my own bleeder for the first time.

Rollin

he said "pickle jar"

Archived