Aerostich - One piece RoadcrafTer - or Two piece?

KanadianKen

I have a one piece Aerostich Roadcrafter - and have worn it only at TMAC last year (just after I got it). It didn't fit me perfect - but it was ok. (As giant Strawberries are.............)

However - I didn't wear it again last summer due to the fit in certain areas.

Anyway - I've talked with Aerostich and they will work with me on returning the suit - and getting something custom done.

So - I'm asking for opinions - should I go with another One piece suit - or go with the two piece combo??

I'd like to be able to wear this to work once in awhile - and also for day trips or weeks like TMAC. Summer time is hot here - and in the US - so heat is present. I'm a fairweather rider - meaning not in the cold - but I 'll ride in the rain if need be.

If I had the cash - I'd go with the leather Transit two piecer - but thats not an option for me right now.

So - what say you Stich owners - what do you recommend?

thanks in advance.

There are so many advantages for both. I now have 2 one piece leathers and 1 two piece. If I had to choose, I would go..............................2 piece. If nfor nothing else, for the ability to wear just the jacket for a short hop and to take off the top when we are shooting the breeze at the Gap Store.

• Member Contributer

I have had a two piece for several years now. I like the option of going pantsless. It has never leaked in the rain and I've ridden in some gully-washers. There are times on the road that I walk to someplace and use just the jacket. Saves space of a street jacket. My error was to try on a one piece in size 42, then decide to go two piece in a size 42. Should have ordered the pants in a size 34 waist. Now there's room for two in my pants. Which can be handy sometimes. :-)

One piece. The 'stich is just for riding the motorcycle. I have the clothes I want to wear at my destination on underneath, whether it be the beach, a resturaunt, work or even a funeral. If I'll need a jacket or fleece or whatever at my destination I'll throw it in the trunk along with the footwear I'll need.

• Member Contributer

I agree with the stitch being motorcycle only gear. I had the pants joined to a leather jacket years ago (custom zipper). I'd wear the leather jacket without the bike, but not the stitch jacket.

If you need flexibility, go two piece, but if you have the funds AND they can get a one-piece to fit you, I'd go one-piece.

• Member Contributer

I rode with a two-piece Aerostich for many years and liked the ability to ditch the pants (going out to lunch with people from work, after work, etc) where the aerostich pants would be hot and uncomfortable. I did have the extension piece which fits between the pants and jacket which helped with the fit in "certain" areas!

Good luck!

• Member Contributer

I have both: an 88 one-piece, and a mid-00s two piece. I have the optional back armor & hip armor in both, too.

I used to wear the one-piece year round. I still wear the one-piece occasionally, but it has mysteriously "shrunk" around the midsection over the years, so I cannot layer under it the way that I once did. It was also acceptable gear for a California Superbike School that I attended in 2008.

I picked up the two-piece suit in the next size up. Correction: I got the jacket in the next size up, but I ended up getting the pants in the same size as my one-piece. (The two-piece suit connects with a zipper, and the two sizes in quesion use the same-length zipper, so it works for me. YMMV.) I can layer underneath again (which is nice in the winter) and it feels more comfortable in warmer summer weather (as it is not as snug as my older one-piece). I also have the bib converter for the pants (which is like a set of suspenders that attach to the pants); in cold weather, I wear the pants that way, which seems to allow me to add another layer under the jacket. And as someone else has posted, you can get a zip-in ellipse adapter that zips between the pants & jacket, and which gives you more comfort in a forward lean.

I like that I feel more secure in the one-piece suit, but I attribute that more to the snug sizing than to the one-piece design.

I like that I feel almost as protected in the two-piece suit, but with a lot more temperature flexibility. I also like being able to get somewhere & still wear a jacket, without a need to pack an additional jacket. I also like being able to unzip the two and store the two separately. And from a style perspective, I like being able to have the jacket & pants in different colors; it's not quite as obvious that I'm wearing a full-body riding suit. (Of course, you can get them in the same color if preferred.)

If someone broke in & stole both of my Roadcrafters, I'd replace the two-piece. (Or, at least, I would first replace the two-piece...)

Good luck with the decision,

Ron

PS - Either way you go, Aerostich also has optional velcro for knee sliders. Unless you are planning to use the 'stich to regularly run track days & grind knee sliders, you can probably skip those. I upgraded my one-piece several years after the purchase, and the knees in the suit are no longer as flexible as they were before (which I attribute chiefly to the additional velcro material).

A two piece definitely offers more flexibility. It is nice to stop at lunch and be able to take off your jacket without having to strip down.

I like the feel of the one-piece better though. I have enough extra in my mid-section without having 2-4 layers of material overlapping each other and binding. The one piece also forces you to into AGATT. You can't just decide to wear the jacket one day if you feel like it.

I had a Stich for a while and figured out it was just too hot for GA weather. I ended up going with the Motoport Mesh Kevlar suit. I added the rain liners and thermal liner too. It has served me well from 30F to 105F.

• Member Contributer

I've had the two piece for about 5 years. Most of my riding is longer distances, so YMMV.

I usually wear both pieces, and always zipped together, so just taking off the jacket isn't really an option. I may be riding down south this summer, so I will probably see about getting a mating zipper sewn into my mesh pants.

I haven't had any leaks around the midsection join. The groinal region will leak in a prolonged downpour if you end up collecting a puddle there.

The two piece takes slightly longer to put on due to the separate jacket and pants zippers. No biggie.

I've got the bib adapter. I don't use it much because it adds an insulating layer in front and an air gap in the back, and seems to leave me either hotter or colder (whichever I don't want to be at the time...). Also, I prefer the pieces to be joined if I'm going to go for a slide.

A big plus for the two-piece as far as I'm concerned is being able to unzip the bottom of the jacket 6-8 inches and get a nice blast of cooling air. Since I use them zipped together, the jacket doesn't flap around.

Glenn

I like my one piece roadcrafter, but I can't commute with it in the summer lest I be a sweaty pig when I get there. For touring I love it, especially with a few pockets full of ice in the middle of summer. Given the option again I would have bought a 2 piece.

Wow - great detailed feedback guys - thank you. Looks like a Two piece suit is getting more nods than the one piece - and all with good sound reasons.

I have a couple days to decide which to order. My suit is in the mail right now back to Aerostich. I have to say as well - they (Aerostich) have been awesome in working with me. Their customer service seems top notch!!

• Member Contributer

I live in Minneapolis and visite the store in Duluth quite often. They are all fabulous people and very devoted to their customers. Plus, going to the store saves 10%. And they'll take your picture. Who knows you might get your pic their catalog. I've been there when motorcycle groups make it a group ride destination. It's like going to the Mountain to visit the Guru. And Duluth is an interesting destination itsself. And I should mention Lake Superior's North Shore is one of Minnesota's best for scenery. Sorry to hijack the thread.

how does the Roadcrafer differ from the one I see in the catalog?

The Roadcrafter is Aerostich's top-of-the-line textile riding gear and is delivered as-billed in the magazine.

The Roadcrafter comes as either a one piece or two piece.

There is now a Roadcrafter Lightweight and a Roadcrafter Ultralightweight. I have not seen these in person but It is my understanding that they are unlined and unlined without abrasive reinforcements.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-suits/roadcrafter

Aerostich also manufactures other lines of riding gear...

Darien which sort of reminds me of high-end standard riding gear.

Transit gear which is the high tech, weather proof leather gear that Slammer has.

• Member Contributer

My 2-piece Roadcrafter is about to hit 10 years old and I'd order another in a heartbeat. For simple around town, slow rides like today it's nice to just put on the jacket, especially with a bunch of stops. I've never had a problem with water leaks on the full suit. It probably is more bunched up around the middle section than the one-piece but I've never considered it less safe because of the two part construction. My biggest complaint is the liner in the arms which is great in cold/wet weather but get very hot/sticky in 90F+ temps. A long sleeved shirt helps but if it's that hot I'd prefer not to be in long sleeves.

Aerostich also worked with me, taking the measurements I sent them to craft a custom suit that still fits me today. Although it has definitely shrunk around the middle over the years, :rolleyes: the jacket is adjustable and still mostly fits. I'd recommend the 2 piece suit.

• Member Contributer

I have a two piece. I like the flexibility and sometimes use the pants/jackets with other gear as need. i use the bib extenders now.

Another advantage of the 2 piece is that you can stagger the purchases.

med_gallery_2144_2004_383481.jpg

For anyone that is interested to deal with Aerostich - I wanted to pass along that I am impressed with them. Just off the phone with them, and they are giving me FULL value for what I paid last year on my one piece suit, and are sending me a new suit to try (I've chosen to go with a two piece) as a "fitment" tool. When I get the new two piecer, they want me to put it on, get on the bike - and then call in. From there they will ask for specific measurements from specific points on the suit.

Once they've gathered all my info from this trial suit - they then put into production a custom suit. I send the trial one back - they ship out the finished product.

I realize its a drag to have to pay shipping to send the trial suit back - but to get a perfect fit will be very enjoyable.

Thumbs up to this company - they sure seem to know how to provide customer service!

• 2 weeks later...

I still like my onesie. I have leather or breathable jackets if I don't want the bottoms. It is on and off in a flash and keeps my work clothes clean on the commute. I use a little Master Python cable lock to thread the helmet and suit to the frame if I don't want to space suit into my destination.

count the VFR's on the cover. we have them outnumbered.

http://www.aerostich.com/photos

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Resurrecting this thread...

Ken, what is the result of your custom suit? Review on two vs. one piece?

Resurrecting this thread...

Ken, what is the result of your custom suit? Review on two vs. one piece?

For me - two piece is the better arrangement. More flexibility for taking the jacket off when needed - easier to use for "bio breaks" on the road - or in facilities, and actually more comfortable.

I have inordinately oversized calves and Aerostich had to make some adjustments in that area - and over the phone, I'd say they got pretty close to perfect. It could be a touch bigger in that area - but everywhere else they nailed it spot on. The jacket was off the shelf sized - so no changes were made there.

I don't regret for a second getting the two piece. If I could do it all over again - and had more $$$$ I'd have gotten them to custom make the two piece leather suit like what Slammer uses. THat would be the best of ALL worlds, I think.

I don't ride in the cold anymore - so I haven't tested the warmth of the two piece suit - but I'm pretty sure its warm enough with proper layers.

Archived