Hello World, and a classic photoshop paint job

AtlantaVFR800

Hi everybody... this is my first post after reading this forum for a few months. Lots of great stuff here.

I finally acquired my first VFR, a 01' 5th gen in red that has been laid down, and so I've got it scheduled for my garage paint booth for late this fall. I've been toying around with the color schemes... I'd like to move away from the basic red (though it is nice) to something a little more unique, but will still be sellable when I'm ready to jump to a different VFR. I have always had a soft spot for the 1986 VFR750 blue/red/white scheme, so I figured I'd give it a whirl in photoshop to see how it might look on a 5th gen. Here's the original and the concept. You'll also note the blinker delete as I'd like to move to mirror/indicators (replacement OEM blinkers seem impossible to find without spending $100)

Let me know what you guys think!

-Robert

post-23505-0-90205000-1318403981_thumb.j

post-23505-0-17083400-1318403986_thumb.j

looks good, and something I was contemplating a few years back, also a rc30 type paint job.

The only thing I'd change on your photochop is that big expanse of white somehow...and a white front fender?

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD "proper" (with a picutre! :tongue: )

Like the concept but hard to judge the actual color. I'd make the blue a lillte less blue, more leaning towards the RC30 blue which (in my head) is a lighter tone.

• Member Contributer

gallery_5608_906_7950.jpg

I don't care much for the 25th Anniversary edition, but I sure like this one with the dark blue. It just flows better--something about the proportions... But that's just me...

98vfr800rwb.jpg

This bike looks great-- Yohsi: do you have any more shots of this bike?

There is a set of plastics on eBay that looks similar to this scheme: $525

http://www.ebay.com/...=item43a2cd5a33

Has anyone ever used these before? I considered this instead of doing it myself except for the fact I would have to color match the 3 colors for the tank... not worth it unfortunately.

In the mean time, the bike is in streetfighter mode with R1 blinkers to be street legal. Here's a peek from this weekend's blast through North Georgia's mountains:

post-23505-0-34385200-1318951979_thumb.j

• Member Contributer

This bike looks great-- Yohsi: do you have any more shots of this bike?

No. Pulled it from the photochop gallery, so no idea where I got it in the first place.

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I'd cast a vote for the white, gold and black (at the top without the emblem). It's similar to the white/black/white wheels 6th gens available outside the US. The gold wing on the tank looks really good against the black background.

• Member Contributer

Make that two for Red/Black/White; White Wheels. My first pick would be red/white/blue w/ white wheels but that seems to have been done so many times before. BE ORIGINAL.

Speaking of original, how about this? :idea3:

Well, I'd personally love to do the 86' scheme. It was the original idea, but I'm trying to keep the bike sellable... and I've had quite a few folks scoff at the older look. . Those weren't diehard VFR folks though.

post-23505-0-66859600-1334215045.jpg

And still no RC30 scheme chop! LOL

Red white and blue with the white wheels is a fav, digging on white with silver wing although the rear number plate could be more modern style to bring it all together.

Welcome aboard. I went with a Euro look with a Champagne gold (Porsche Kalahari Beige) with Beemresque black stripes and updated font on the badges along with an RC46 label.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks guys. Rob, I just re-did a more detailed version of the '86 scheme, and I like it much better. Identical enough?

Here it is, as well as a version with a gold pinstripe (I know it aint original... but it looks great I think).

RC30 to come in a bit. =)

-Robert

post-23505-0-87818800-1334351908.jpg

post-23505-0-52381400-1334351911.jpg

Thanks guys. Rob, I just re-did a more detailed version of the '86 scheme, and I like it much better. Identical enough?

post-23505-0-52381400-1334351911.jpg

I'm liking this much better, but of course its your bike and you gotta do what makes you happy.

Hard to tell from the photochop, but it looks like the red stripe that goes up the tank is a little low on the left.

IMO, it should be at but not below the hard crease in the tank where the knee pockets are.

By lifting that stripe, it makes the entire stripe head more downhill, which looks faster. And it's all about lookin' fast, right? :tongue:

JM2¢

Like so:

gallery_554_345_38288.jpg

Archived