Shortening Scorpion mufflers

Aegisranger

• Member Contributer

The mufflers on my Scorpion Exhaust just seem too long for me. I'd like to shorten them a bit, like 4 inches or so. I played a bit with Microsoft Paint and like the look. What do you all think? Should I put this on my winter project list?

Compare the images...

post-23306-0-60387200-1318326313_thumb.j

post-23306-0-07395400-1318326344_thumb.j

• Member Contributer

I think the shortened ones look better.

Is that the proper Scorpion application or are these a retrofit?

Seriously....

I would be surprised if they were made for this bike and that is the best they could come up with.

Shorter is much nicer! :fing02:

Would chopping the pipes short affect exhaust flow/scavenging, as I thought exhaust system designers usually want a bit of volume on their end cans to get best tune out of the engine.. Is there any way you can pull the cans farther forward under the tail, by cutting the pipes in front of it shorter so you don't have to chop too much off the cans?

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Would chopping the pipes short affect exhaust flow/scavenging, as I thought exhaust system designers usually want a bit of volume on their end cans to get best tune out of the engine.. Is there any way you can pull the cans farther forward under the tail, by cutting the pipes in front of it shorter so you don't have to chop too much off the cans?

Beck

95 VFR

+1

• Member Contributer

Seriously....

I would be surprised if they were made for this bike and that is the best they could come up with.

This is the correct system for the VFR. The Scorpion mufflers are long because they are EU noise legal. So they are long and quiet. I want to make them shorter, which will also make them a bit louder... but since they are so quiet to begin with I don't think it will be a big deal.

• Member Contributer

Beck

95 VFR

No way to pull them in more. This was a 'system' from Scorpion, not just individual 'slip on' mufflers.

• Member Contributer

Seriously....

This is the correct system for the VFR. The Scorpion mufflers are long because they are EU noise legal. So they are long and quiet. I want to make them shorter, which will also make them a bit louder... but since they are so quiet to begin with I don't think it will be a big deal.

I agree with your assessment that they would look better shorter but they don't need much. Another thing to consider is adding a topcase in which case they likely would look great the way they are. Then you just have to decide whether you like the look of the topcase. :rolleyes: Unfortunate that there is no way to test what they will sound like when shortened as it's a little difficult to go back. Tig welder anyone?

Beck

95 VFR

No way to pull them in more. This was a 'system' from Scorpion, not just individual 'slip on' mufflers.

So there's no slip-on joint between the end can and the pipes going up the seat?? If there are, you might be able to cut part of the straight pipes under the seat, going towards the can to pull them in forward. That's what I was suggesting.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Beck

95 VFR

So there's no slip-on joint between the end can and the pipes going up the seat?? If there are, you might be able to cut part of the straight pipes under the seat, going towards the can to pull them in forward. That's what I was suggesting.

Beck

95 VFR

Oh, I'll have to look at that... could maybe gain a few inches there. I'd just have to be careful that the can does not touch the bodywork.

I don't think shortern the canisters is good idea. There are lots of stuff inside the canisters and it cost you lot of work.

The best idea is shortern the conection pipe and push the canisters forward as Beck rec'mended.

I have cut mufflers before and had no ill affects on either my R6 or VFR. The hard part is cutting everything perfectly straight and riveting the endcap back on. I love shortened cans because they sound so much better and throatier than the long cans. I have an 8" delkevic shorty on my 4th gen and love it. I have checked the plugs multiple times and have put 8,000 miles on it with no ill effects or flat spots.

There will be no issues with chopping the cans... It will be a bit louder but he''s only chopping a few inches, those cans are pretty long. It will be a mostly cosmetic surgery. Chop them, you'll be glad you did.

Shorties for sure!

I've never liked any of the long looking aftermarket exhaust out there, I think Remus made some sweet looking shorties and once seeing that I chopped mine down immediately, think there 9" long now if I remember correctly.

Sorry don't have any pics on the computer.

Actually my avatar shows how short mine are! :tongue:

DO IT!!!!!!!

BR

I have that exact same exhaust on mine BUT they don't stick out that far not even close. You just need to cut/shorten the exhaust pipes where they are connected and move them down closer as others have suggested.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

So... what 's outcome? Or waiting util end of winter?

This is on my "Winter to-do List" along with new tires, heated grips, rear tire hugger, louder horn, 12v power outlet, Power Commander V, maybe a gearing change, and some other minor things.

Archived