A little color scheme change to the VFR. Silver deletion.

TiN

You might like it. You might not. I just wanted to show what the bike looked like with the silver parts replaced by matte black. Blacked out the shield while I was there. Thought the shield was too much since the black made it look big. Just got done putting the rear hugger and seat cowl on and i think it evened out the bike nicely. Sorry for the phone pic. It was all I had at the time.

d821b53e5edb__1317206293000.jpg

• Member Contributer

The scheme makes the wheels and pipe seem out of place to me. Blacken the pipe and powder coat the wheels bronze or matching red and you have a winner there. :fing02:

The scheme makes the wheels and pipe seem out of place to me. Blacken the pipe and powder coat the wheels bronze or matching red and you have a winner there. :fing02:

I been kinda thinking about the wheels thing. Maybe taking them, rider and passenger pegs in over the winter for some black powdercoat. You change one thing and it leads to another :sad:

• Member Contributer

Makes more maintenance once you get paint on your wheels and pipe...you will get chips in them. If not from tire changes, from stuff on the roads. But you already know that...

Makes more maintenance once you get paint on your wheels and pipe...you will get chips in them. If not from tire changes, from stuff on the roads. But you already know that...

I've never done a powdercoat on the wheels before. I'm guessing thats what people do with those areas that get alot of wear and tear. I've seen people paint wheels and pegs but they scratch and chip so easily. Is there any other way to change the color of the wheels? The panels were an easy strip/sand + rubberized base and a light finish with this undercoat like paint to match the frame finish. It has held up and hasnt chipped but I wouldnt do that with wheels or rearsets.

• Member Contributer

Like you say...the only treatment I've heard of for the wheels and such is powdercoat. You might PM Sebspeed...he seems to a bunch of painting and modification experience.

What "tank protector" panels did you use on the gas tank side covers?

... and interesting take on the paint scheme. Props for some individual vision and making it your own.

I like the little bit of red at the back, but the flat black center section looks great. I think using an epoxy paint on the wheels might be better than standard spray but isn't going to last as long or be as durable as powder coat or the original finish. I've been going to try it on my '99 just haven't got around to it yet so can't give you any durability report. Seems like some member tried it on their wheels but don't remember who. You've improved the 1200's looks either way.

Powdercoating the wheels is the way to go Vs paint. More durable.

Just be ABSOLUTELY SURE that NO POWDER goes onto areas of the wheels that are not already coated in paint from the factory.

What is bare must stay bare.

The shop must mask that stuff off totally, or surfaces that are supposed to mate perfectly will not, like your brake rotors.

Powdercoat is very thick, and not terrible uniform, plus it causes your dimensions to "grow", so you probably would not be able to get the rotors on anyhow.

100 1103

100 1106

Definitely have some winter projects lined up. Powder coat black the wheels, swingarm, pass pegs, rearsets. thx for the input. i was on the edge of doing the wheels too. I'm kinda waiting for the black body panels i've been seeing on the '11's to become available in the US so I really dont want to put anymore red in it.

i like it tin, maybe add a little color to the rear hugger?

if i get a new one, im going all white like vfrobb....possibly paint my 97 white if it runs ok after new valves

Archived