2011 Catskills Fall Ride - Heads up!

SEBSPEED

Well, I can guarantee that the ride routes will be quite different from years past - there are many roads still closed and out, will be doing a lot of scouting to try and piece a good ride together.

On the upside, Midlifevfr is working on getting us a very nice deal at a posh resort, hope to work that out very quickly so we can get you guys locked in for the trip!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Well, I can guarantee that the ride routes will be quite different from years past - there are many roads still closed and out, will be doing a lot of scouting to try and piece a good ride together.

On the upside, Midlifevfr is working on getting us a very nice deal at a posh resort, hope to work that out very quickly so we can get you guys locked in for the trip!

How's about that place with the naughty lesbian librarian??? :wub:

• Member Contributer

Whoa there Jimmy! Remember, she was there to dance with the elderly gentleman (although, you are getting up there... :owned: )

• Member Contributer

Whoa there Jimmy! Remember, she was there to dance with the elderly gentleman (although, you are getting up there... :owned: )

• Member Contributer

DPW crews are hard at work.........one bridge has already been replaced with a temporary span and some roads will be freshly resurfaced :bliss:

POSH???? hold on there sportsfans.........nobody said posh. Now I see how this works.........blame the roads on Irene.........blame the lodging on Brian............Seb shows up with good :beer:

and is a superhero :blink: . Hmmmmm................ I guess that works :fing02:

DPW crews are hard at work.........one bridge has already been replaced with a temporary span and some roads will be freshly resurfaced :bliss:

POSH???? hold on there sportsfans.........nobody said posh. Now I see how this works.........blame the roads on Irene.........blame the lodging on Brian............Seb shows up with good :beer:

and is a superhero :blink: . Hmmmmm................ I guess that works :fing02:

HVR looked pretty posh to me... at least compared to last year's motel...

• Member Contributer

Always wanted side bags to go with my topbox but like you didnt want to loose the highmount. Could you post up pics on your setup if you go that route? Thanks

and we are looking at some soft luggage options or possibly a set of hard bags for one of the two bikes...i hate to lose my high mount though.

I'm looking into PL257 from GIVI, but I'd have to modify it for my high mount. I don't have my stock exhaust anymore, so low mount is not an option for me...

My 5th gen w/ high mount and givi side racks

My weekend project...

• Member Contributer

tick... tick... tick

22 days

546 hours

32779 minutes

1966789 seconds

until the Catskills ride...

(But who is counting)

So guess we just ride into NY and look around until we see other VFR's?

In the Catskill Mtns right now you will have to look beyond the excavators and the bulldozers. Also, according to reports a good number of roads are partially no longer in place so you may want to consider a KLR or other dual sport machine. Hopefully the roads will be sorted out by then. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Well, looks like I'm out. A fairly good friend of mine is getting married that Saturday.

Might sneak down for a thurs/friday deal, if things don't get any worse at work and in general.

Guest DelawareSteve

Count me in. Anyone gonna be riding by Delaware/Phillie... wouldn't mind some company riding up... has a location, etc. been announced yet?

Due to Hurricane Irene, many of the roads in the general vicinity of our previous rides have suffered damages. This area is (as I type this) suffering from the effects of another storm and after 4 days of steady rain we are experiencing more flooding.

THE SHOW WILL GO ON!

As a result of all this, we are compiling new routes that include the same type of roads you all keep coming back for, year after year. We have shifted the entire ride south to avoid the worst of the damage.

Ultimately, I will not be able to post routes and gps tracks prior to the event. I will try my best. As always, I will be requesting volunteers to cover some lead and sweep duties - this year these kind folks may carry the extra responsibility of leading their groups with printed turn-by-turn directions.

I apologize for the somber tone this post might convey, I think the weather may finally be getting to me... but have no fear! VFR people are the best people, and we always manage to have a great time!! I look forward to seeing lots of faces both new and old!! :fing02:

Cheers! :beer:

-Seb

Well, looks like I'm out. A fairly good friend of mine is getting married that Saturday.

Might sneak down for a thurs/friday deal, if things don't get any worse at work and in general.

Very sorry to hear that, hope you make it down for a little while at least.

ride icon is a cat in a submarine?

2011 Catskills RAINFALL Ride... :computer-noworky:

We got 6 days of sunshine after Irene, we are now on Day 4 of steady rain and the areas hardest hit just 10 days ago are once again on flash flood watch with voluntary evacuation in place. :sad:

However, based on the progress made in those 6 short days, I think I can safely say that over the next 3 weeks we'll have a clear riding path once again.

• Member Contributer

ride icon is a cat in a submarine?

2011 Catskills RAINFALL Ride... :computer-noworky:

We got 6 days of sunshine after Irene, we are now on Day 4 of steady rain and the areas hardest hit just 10 days ago are once again on flash flood watch with voluntary evacuation in place. :sad:

However, based on the progress made in those 6 short days, I think I can safely say that over the next 3 weeks we'll have a clear riding path once again.

My submission for Catskills Ride Icon:

wet-cat.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'm looking at travel routes and depending on departure, I'm contemplating an I78, I287, I87 route like last year... begs for a meet and greet at Hot Dog Johnny's in Butzville, NJ.

Archived