What am I trying to correct?

CornerCarver

• Member Contributer

Reading back, there should have been no reason why your fork tube spacing changed. 1mm is a big miss when it comes to a machine shop. For reasons of paranoia, did you check all the dimensions for each for tube to make sure they also aren't at an angle or any other misalignment?

How much do those triples weigh, out of curiousity?

• 9 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Bumping this old thread... calling Mr Carver. Any updates? Did you get the spacing sorted out? Are these after market triples the elusive USD fork dream parts?

• Member Contributer

Well, I can give you a definite maybe for input.

I am thinking of sending a spare 5G frame to Italy to ask them to modify the triples for me. I may have to purchase a run of them to get them made this way but we would know for sure the yare the factory offset and would be perfect for 54/50 USD forks.

I have the triples in the spare frame right now but don't like the way I had to hack the bottom to clear the frame and stops....

What does a decent set of used Honda triples for a USD conversion go for now?

• Member Contributer

What does a decent set of used Honda triples for a USD conversion go for now?

about $250 for the 929/954/RC51 sets... '04 - '07 CBR1000 are about $50 cheaper but I haven't heard of anyone using them.

I just bought a set of 54/50 USD for my 5th gen project. What year ZedX14 did you go with when you bought yours?

• Member Contributer

IIRC it was a 2003 ZX...I have the clip ons (bolt ons?) and the switch gear from it as well as the complete brakes and clutch from master to caliper/slave cylinder...

• Member Contributer

Please let me know if you get anything going with custom triples that have the correct geometry. I just picked up an '09 ZX forks/lower triple/and wheel.

It has the 310mm rotors and I wonder if I can use the 6 piston '07 - '08 R1 calipers. Anyone know what the mounting bolt spacing is on the '07 - '08 R1 calipers?

• Member Contributer

I am thinking of sending a spare 5G frame to Italy to ask them to modify the triples for me. I may have to purchase a run of them to get them made this way but we would know for sure the yare the factory offset and would be perfect for 54/50 USD forks.

Wait. You're going to mail the entire frame to italy to have triples made? Sounds a bit excessive. Hell, I've had triples drawn up for a while and planned to machine them. Except the one small CNC mill needs a new screen before we can test it, the other small one was wired wrong by the electrician and doesn't work right either, and the two big ones always have work on them.

What is the end goal? Steering stops correct, ignition mount, 50/54 bores, VFR offset, VFR spacing? I always thought it would make more sense to leave the fork spacing to whatever the donor forks were.

• Member Contributer

What is the end goal? Steering stops correct, ignition mount, 50/54 bores, VFR offset, VFR spacing? I always thought it would make more sense to leave the fork spacing to whatever the donor forks were.

IMHO... I think the 50/54 bores with the VFR offset is the most important... spacing is easiest if left the same as the donor fork/wheel/brakes combo, but this leaves too many options and makes it too specific. Most of the Japanese forks are Showa (Honda), so wouldn't using Honda spacing would allow a variety of Honda wheel/brake options and keep it more true to the brand?

• Member Contributer

Well, you either have to adapt the wheels/rotors/calipers to the VFR spacing, or just change the location of the bores when you are machining. If you are manually machining it, it is a slight nuisiance since you have to keep the wall around the forks consistent for all spacing values. But the other way you have to space rotors differently and adjust wheel spacers.

• Member Contributer

Well, you either have to adapt the wheels/rotors/calipers to the VFR spacing, or just change the location of the bores when you are machining. If you are manually machining it, it is a slight nuisiance since you have to keep the wall around the forks consistent for all spacing values. But the other way you have to space rotors differently and adjust wheel spacers.

Do we have an option where we can get triples manually machined to order at a poor man shade tree mechanic price?

I'd love to get a set of triples with the VFR offset and matched to my donor parts so I don't have to shim...

Can the steering stem be pressed out of a VFR or 929 triple and pressed into a different lower triple without damaging? Could a VFR steering stem be pressed into the IMA lower triple to get the correct length?

• Member Contributer

Yes, you can manually machine them. I actually designed mine with manual machining in mind. It just takes longer. Also have to be careful of who's doing it. Might find another shop who's going to miss machining the triples by 1mm.

• Member Contributer

Do we have an option where we can get triples manually machined to order at a poor man shade tree mechanic price?

I'd love to get a set of triples with the VFR offset and matched to my donor parts so I don't have to shim...

Can the steering stem be pressed out of a VFR or 929 triple and pressed into a different lower triple without damaging? Could a VFR steering stem be pressed into the IMA lower triple to get the correct length?

I quoted 5 shops for a set or two of manually machined triples before I purchased those Italian Jobs...they ranged in price from $1,475 to $2,300 per set and that was three years ago...

• Member Contributer

a custom set of triples, one off, should be between $400-$600, depending on how fancy you get.

I can measure and calculate but how do you translate that into a usable format for a machinist? CAD drawing, illustration, sketch on a napkin?

... and how do I find a magician to create this masterpiece? I've got no connections or experience in this area of expertise.

• Member Contributer

You have to have a full drawing or they can't do anything. Just google search for a machine shop. And be warned that half of them do not know what they are doing.

• Member Contributer

Also, last time I glanced at them, I thought you could get a set of 929 triples for closer to $150 if you were patient.

Yeah but everyone has one of those , gotta be different .

I quoted 5 shops for a set or two of manually machined triples before I purchased those Italian Jobs...they ranged in price from $1,475 to $2,300 per set and that was three years ago...

I've heard there is a guy (Douglas Machine) in Athens that will do them for about $400-500 just depending on how quick you want them and his work load. i've never used him, but know someone that has. Might be able to eye his set if you wanted confirmation before having him make you a set.

• Member Contributer

Also, last time I glanced at them, I thought you could get a set of 929 triples for closer to $150 if you were patient.

CC asked for pricing for a "decent" set of triples. The pricing I offered was based on what I consider a decent set in good shape; plus, I've been looking at the RC51 lowers with 929/954 uppers. For the past several weeks they have been priced high... I think the sellers might know what we are up to... Right now, the best price on the bay is $180

It is almost cheaper to buy a complete set with the forks

I've heard there is a guy (Douglas Machine) in Athens that will do them for about $400-500 just depending on how quick you want them and his work load. i've never used him, but know someone that has. Might be able to eye his set if you wanted confirmation before having him make you a set.

If you could provide some feedback on the quality of his work that would be great. I'm not in a rush, my forks won't be here until next week...

Edited by Rush2112