what wheels?

otmaximus

I'm looking for new wheels for one of my 4Gs.

I know the 90-93 rear rim will fit a 4G.

Are there any other years that can be swapped on to the 4G?

Will a 98-01 front or rear fit on a 4G?

Thanks!

Paul in SoCal

I'm looking for new wheels for one of my 4Gs.

I know the 90-93 rear rim will fit a 4G.

Are there any other years that can be swapped on to the 4G?

Will a 98-01 front or rear fit on a 4G?

Thanks!

Paul in SoCal

all the 3rd 4th 5th and 6th's wheels are interchangable

Thanks Guys!

Looks like i have some options for the rear, 3G all the way to 6G.

What about the front wheel though?

Am I stuck with the 94-97 only?

Paul

post-578-0-93746500-1295317591_thumb.jpgpost-578-0-62313600-1295317616_thumb.jpg

Here is all the info you need!

• Member Contributer

Thanks Guys!

Looks like i have some options for the rear, 3G all the way to 6G.

What about the front wheel though?

Paul

post-578-0-93746500-1295317591_thumb.jpgpost-578-0-62313600-1295317616_thumb.jpg

Here is all the info you need!

http://www.vfrdiscus...all-discussion/

Wow - you definitely had two flats. Did you manage to keep it upright after the impact? If all you need are two new wheels, I'd say you were really fortunate.

You might find useful info in this post (scroll down a ways) though I don't know that it directly answers your 4/5/6 gen front wheel interchangeability - but it looks like there are many options.

Wheel thread

If you need a 4th gen rear wheel quick I'm in SoCal (MoVal) and I have a straight one laying around from when I swapped to an 8 spoke. Pick it up and its yours.

Paul, a CBR600F3 wheel is a direct swap and your rotors will bolt right on to it. If you're in a pinch, a 16" CBR900RR wheel will also bolt right in, again, with your VFR rotors.

You can also use a 98-09 VFR800 front wheel, however I have not personally tried to fit the VFR750 rotors to one yet. If yours don't fit the VFR800 front, you'll need to buy a set of VFR800 or CBR600F4(not F4i!!) rotors.

Guys, thanks a bunch for the info!

I'm glad my front wheel options have opened up a bit.

For the record, I was on the freeway on my way to work monday morning at about 5:30a, when a car in front of me to the right hit a wood pallet and spit it out directly in front of me.

I nailed it hard, but by the Grace Of God, kept the bike up. It was definitely one of *those* monents. The car ended up with 4 flats, according to sigalert.com.

Thanks again guys!

Paul in SoCal

Paul, a CBR600F3 wheel is a direct swap and your rotors will bolt right on to it. If you're in a pinch, a 16" CBR900RR wheel will also bolt right in, again, with your VFR rotors.

You can also use a 98-09 VFR800 front wheel, however I have not personally tried to fit the VFR750 rotors to one yet. If yours don't fit the VFR800 front, you'll need to buy a set of VFR800 or CBR600F4(not F4i!!) rotors.

You Rock! PM sent.

Paul

If you need a 4th gen rear wheel quick I'm in SoCal (MoVal) and I have a straight one laying around from when I swapped to an 8 spoke. Pick it up and its yours.

Just curious, why do you say in a pinch the 900RR wheel will work?

Is there any modification needed? It looks to me to be the same exact wheel...

Because, while they look the same, the 900RR front wheels are 16" vs 17".

I stuck one on Yoshi's 4th gen after he showed up to my place on a horribly worn tire; I couldn't see letting him leave on it.

This is it on his bike, with his VFR rotors mounted to it. You can see the gap between the tire and fender.

WrenchSession6-13-09009.jpg

Ahh, interesting I forgot the 17" VFR wheel.

I could live with that...

Thanks!

Because, while they look the same, the 900RR front wheels are 16" vs 17".

I stuck one on Yoshi's 4th gen after he showed up to my place on a horribly worn tire; I couldn't see letting him leave on it.

This is it on his bike, with his VFR rotors mounted to it. You can see the gap between the tire and fender.

WrenchSession6-13-09009.jpg

• Member Contributer

Although they both have the same axle diameter, I think the VFR800 wheels are too wide for the forks, in addition to having different discs. Remember, fork spacing is wider on the 800, and that required either a wheel with a wider hub, or the use of discs with greater offset (which I don't think they used).

Ciao,

Thanks man, I'm going to stick with the 4G VFR or the 600F3, or 900RR if I have to, just to avoid any of those issues.

Paul

Although they both have the same axle diameter, I think the VFR800 wheels are too wide for the forks, in addition to having different discs. Remember, fork spacing is wider on the 800, and that required either a wheel with a wider hub, or the use of discs with greater offset (which I don't think they used).

Ciao,

Archived