6th Gen Suspension Upgrades, starting point?

46alpha

• Member Contributer

I'm finally getting to the point where I feel I might benefit from upgrading the suspension on my 06. The thing is, where do I start? New springs? Forks? F4i forks?

If you were looking at a BASE LINE for a suspension upgrade, with a moderate ($500-$700) budget, what would you do?

Also, if anyone can recommend a shop that does all this, I'd be grateful.

• Member Contributer

As a first step, I would contact a professional suspension shop and get an estimate from them.

The benefit of this approach is that you are taking the guesswork out of this process. And the process is more of an art than a science (though some may disagree). If they get your setup wrong, you can always go back to them and describe the issue and they will eventually get it right. If you go looking for wisdom here, you will find lots of it for sure, but there is no guarantee that you will like the results.

If the shop gives you an outrageous estimate, then the VFRD family will hook you up :fing02:

• Member Contributer

For that budget, you're either going all out on the front or the back. You're either getting a new rear shock, or a CBR front end and odds.

Not sure what the price is going on them, but you might be able to get a 929 rear shock and upgrade the fork internals.

• Member Contributer

With that budget I'd get an f4i rear shock and have it and your forks rebuilt by someone like Jamie daugherty.

+1

I got sonic springs and racetech valves through Jamie for a bit under $300, then spent another $550 on a Wilbers Performance rear shock from Ted Porter's Beemershop. Trying to do it on a budget, I'd still do the fronts and try find a stock shock off another bike that has a more appropriate spring rate and more adjustment, and use that instead of the WP.

With that budget I'd get an f4i rear shock and have it and your forks rebuilt by someone like Jamie daugherty.

couldnt agree more..... $350 will get you the f4i shock and rebuilt/resprung and springs up front or springs and valves.....will make a WORLD of difference.

• Member Contributer

Soooo. Just buy a used F4i rear shock off of ebay and send that and my forks to Jamie? That sounds easy enough. Anything I should look for on the F4i shock? Just any old one?

Stupid question, and forgive my n00b-ness. Why the F4i shock over the one I have now. What would be the difference between having my stocker rebuilt vs the F4i?

Soooo. Just buy a used F4i rear shock off of ebay and send that and my forks to Jamie? That sounds easy enough. Anything I should look for on the F4i shock? Just any old one?

Stupid question, and forgive my n00b-ness. Why the F4i shock over the one I have now. What would be the difference between having my stocker rebuilt vs the F4i?

No dumb questions! :blush:

The F4i shock to start with is a better shock and it will provide you with both REBOUND and COMPRESSION adjustments and a remote reservoir to help prevent shock fading. :fing02:

You could have the stock shock done, but spending the extra $50 to start with a F4i shock will end up providing a far superior results!

BR

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am also looking to upgrade the rear shock on my 2006. I want to be sure I am clear before ordering a shock off ebay. Does the CBR 600 F4i shock fit the vfr without modification or is there any other parts I am going to need? Is there a particular year of F4i I need to be looking for?

Any info on this process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi guys,

I am also looking to upgrade the rear shock on my 2006. I want to be sure I am clear before ordering a shock off ebay. Does the CBR 600 F4i shock fit the vfr without modification or is there any other parts I am going to need? Is there a particular year of F4i I need to be looking for?

Any info on this process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

All F4i shock and most likely F4 shocks are the same! The F4i shock is close to 1/2" shorter than a VFR shock so you would need a top mount spacer between teh frame and shock to make-up the difference.

Also it's not easy to adjust pre-load on bike, but once set U shouldn't need to mess with it.

Also the F4i shock is sprung(14.3kg) lower than a already soft VFR shock (15.3kg) so unless you weigh 130 lbs you'll HAVE to install a stiffer spring on teh f4i shock before installing it! :blush:

So no, it's not really a bolt in shock! :biggrin:

BR

• Member Contributer

My suggestions for a great street setup would be the following:

Forks - Springs and compression valves. This would run you $305.

Shock - New spring and complete revalve. The cost for this would be $295.

So, for right at $600 you would have a properly setup front and rear suspension. In fact, this would be a great performing setup. Swapping over to CBR parts has some advantages, but for the street rider on a budget you just can't beat the above upgrades.

Hopefully this helps!

• 4 years later...

James Dougherty CBRf4 shocki.... and do the front forks and seals as new. Spend the rest on good Road Pilot tires and rip it up.

This shock is worth every cent. Stability, trackable, maneuverable, and fast stopping. He even sets it up for you at the shop before shipping.

Archived