Powercommander for VFR1200f

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it sounds like this bike could benifit from a tre (timing retard eliminator). not for advancing timing, but just for tricking the bike into thinking that its always in say third fourth or fith gear .(which ever gear is not limited by the throttle possition). this is what they do on the busa's (which are limited by timing instead of throttle) to regain the power in the lower gears, as well as erase the top speed limit...

its a fairly simple and cheap mod.

I sent an email to power commander about the 1st & 2nd gear limiting & there response wasn't conclusive on the way honda have gone about doing the limiting, my guess is fueling will have no effect so fitting a pc alone won't help the 1st & 2nd gear limiting & it is performed with the timing. What you have said makes sense but it would be nice to know exactly what Honda have done.

I found this dyno map that has a 2nd gear run over layed onto 3rd & 4th gear run, you can plainly see the dip & 20hp odd less power in 2nd gear.

dyno001h.jpg

yeah that dip doesnt look like fun...

funny this who time i thought the limiting was done with the throttle bodies, not just pulling back igniton timng.

well it makes sence, honda does it to the cbr1000rr and 600rr.

anyways if its timing its a simple fix that any of these companies can make for the vfr...

just look up :

dyno jet ignition module,

TRE

bazzaz z bomb.

all the tuning companes have solutions for this.

almost every suzuki bike has restricted timing.

and honda pulled almost 10 hp off the top of the new us model cbr1000rr to meet noise emissions:

http://www.motovation-accessory.com.sg/index.php?act=article&id=6

http://www.bazzaz.net/bz1/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_genx_img1.tpl&product_id=138&category_id=26&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=181

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/tre.htm

In looking at your hp chart I noticed that you tq and hp did not cross at 5252 rpms, That leads me to beileve that there is some issue with the valididy of this chart.

Hp is defined as (tq X rpm)/5252, therefore the TQ and HP lines must cross at 5252 rpms.

it sounds like this bike could benifit from a tre (timing retard eliminator). not for advancing timing, but just for tricking the bike into thinking that its always in say third fourth or fith gear .(which ever gear is not limited by the throttle possition). this is what they do on the busa's (which are limited by timing instead of throttle) to regain the power in the lower gears, as well as erase the top speed limit...

its a fairly simple and cheap mod.

I sent an email to power commander about the 1st & 2nd gear limiting & there response wasn't conclusive on the way honda have gone about doing the limiting, my guess is fueling will have no effect so fitting a pc alone won't help the 1st & 2nd gear limiting & it is performed with the timing. What you have said makes sense but it would be nice to know exactly what Honda have done.

I found this dyno map that has a 2nd gear run over layed onto 3rd & 4th gear run, you can plainly see the dip & 20hp odd less power in 2nd gear.

dyno001h.jpg

because there is two different scales. the one on the left goes to 150 hp and the one on the right

yeah that dip doesnt look like fun...

funny this who time i thought the limiting was done with the throttle bodies, not just pulling back igniton timng.

well it makes sence, honda does it to the cbr1000rr and 600rr.

anyways if its timing its a simple fix that any of these companies can make for the vfr...

just look up :

dyno jet ignition module,

TRE

bazzaz z bomb.

all the tuning companes have solutions for this.

almost every suzuki bike has restricted timing.

and honda pulled almost 10 hp off the top of the new us model cbr1000rr to meet noise emissions:

http://www.motovation-accessory.com.sg/index.php?act=article&id=6

http://www.bazzaz.net/bz1/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_genx_img1.tpl&product_id=138&category_id=26&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=181

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/tre.htm

In looking at your hp chart I noticed that you tq and hp did not cross at 5252 rpms, That leads me to beileve that there is some issue with the valididy of this chart.

Hp is defined as (tq X rpm)/5252, therefore the TQ and HP lines must cross at 5252 rpms.

thats because there are two seperate scales. one for toque that goes to 90 ft lbs and one for horsepower that goes to 150...

I have cut n' pasted Chris's response from PowerCommander in here before:

The PowerCommander box does not interface with the Honda computer to alter timing, it only alters fueling.

:beatdeadhorse:

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, here's my dyno chart from PowerCommander. It compares the stock with the Jardine, both with the box installed.

There was no K&N filter installed at the time of testing. The bike had about 1400 miles or so on it at delivery.

I brought the stock exhaust with me at their request.

post-21194-0-17380400-1293296857_thumb.j

That's an amazingly flat torque curve. Let us know if you feel the rear tire squirting out on you on those 2nd gear roll-ons coming out of a nice lean.

Brian

Okay, here's my dyno chart from PowerCommander. It compares the stock with the Jardine, both with the box installed.

There was no K&N filter installed at the time of testing. The bike had about 1400 miles or so on it at delivery.

I brought the stock exhaust with me at their request.

That's a hell of a lean spot at the bottom of the stock curve.

Two Brothers racings shows a fuel controller for the VFR1200 on their website, but they have not responded to my e-mail trying to verify this.

I went to their site. I only saw a VALE exhaust, nothing for the "Juice Box."

They are in Santa Ana with an 800 number. Why don't you call this week?

401 South Grand Avenue

Santa Ana, CA 92705

(800) 211-2767

Open Weekdays 9am-5pm

http://www.twobros.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=001-287

Power Commander makes the Juice Box Pro for Two Brothers Racing. So, I guess it is in the "beta" stage, with you being one of their highly paid test pilots!

I went to their site. I only saw a VALE exhaust, nothing for the "Juice Box."

They are in Santa Ana with an 800 number. Why don't you call this week?

401 South Grand Avenue

Santa Ana, CA 92705

(800) 211-2767

Open Weekdays 9am-5pm

• 3 months later...

I am still waiting for my PC-V for the VFR1200. Any news concerning delivering scedual ?

I don't mean to tease but I got mine within 10 days of ordering from Indysuperbikes, at a discounted price from Dynojet's too. Have not got around to have it installed but will report back soon. Cheers.

PC is installed. 2 different map are loaded. what a difference !! Low ref fueling improved a lot. Acceleration is much sharper. Next week i am going to a tuning center to sort out the fueling for my bike. Now i am using the Jardine map.

PC is installed. 2 different map are loaded. what a difference !! Low ref fueling improved a lot. Acceleration is much sharper. Next week i am going to a tuning center to sort out the fueling for my bike. Now i am using the Jardine map.

post-20539-0-96152500-1303847782_thumb.j

Its ready. No jerking anymore. Fine by me :biggrin:

Looks very smooth but doesn't mean a lot without a baseline run plotted over it! ;)

If you search around a little, you'll find the one I posted that has the baseline.

When PC did the evaluation, I had funished both mufflers for the testing.

:fing02: to Dutchgixxer, welcome to the PC club!

Looks very smooth but doesn't mean a lot without a baseline run plotted over it! ;)

When i came to the tuning centre i had installed the PC with a jardin map and a oem exhaust map on it installed. It was just fine tuning what was needed. I saved me a lot of expensive dyno time. 45 minutes and the VFR was ready to go. Thanks MSGTR

Dutchgixxer,

If that was a sixth gear pull then forget the following .

If the dyno results wasn't a pull using 6th gear , suggest looking over your VSP mod and perhaps even your first/second gear mod wiring .

Torque reading is OK to 9000 rpm but HP should climb past whats shown up to the 10250 limiter. HP is nosing over in your chart and laying flat so either it was a sixth gear pull and the throttle blades are closing down as designed for top speed restriction or it's a lower gear and the the throttle blades are closing for some other reason .

In the future if you check the air fuel upstream of the cat box you will note a marked difference in air fuel ratio after blocking the two pair valves with need to retune. Aftermarket plates are not needed to defeat the PV's in order to obtain best overall tuning results.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Just put a PC V onto mine and, like the others have said, it is a real improvement. The low end (2000-4000) throttle response is now perfect (for me). 100% better than stock. It's totally linear and silky smooth. Very happy (just like I was when I put a PCIII on my '02, only this time its an even better result).

Combined with the Penske shock and the Traxxion front end, this thing is damn near perfect for what I want. Once I get my hands on the Bazzaz derestrictor, I'll be set. Can't wait to head down to the Gap area in 3 short weeks! (Couldn't get down there for T-Mac although I sure wished I could have).

Edit: Forgot to add: Is it just me or was installing the O2 sensor things the biggest pain in the a@# or what! I don't think Honda could have tucked them in a more inaccessible spot!

Archived