Powercommander for VFR1200f

Installed a PCV yesterday and the bike is much smoother down low and rolling on and off the throttle in traffic around town is no longer jerky and annoying.

I spent an hour trying to unplug the O2 sensors in place until I found a forum thread where someone said you can slide the whole connector forward off the bracket that holds them to the frame and once off the bracket unplugging is much easier. Once I knew this it only took about 10 minutes to unplug the sensors and plug in the "optimizers".

Next step for me is an Akropovic. Anybody have a PCV map for an Akropovic to share?

Leachy.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Installed a PCV yesterday and the bike is much smoother down low and rolling on and off the throttle in traffic around town is no longer jerky and annoying.

I spent an hour trying to unplug the O2 sensors in place until I found a forum thread where someone said you can slide the whole connector forward off the bracket that holds them to the frame and once off the bracket unplugging is much easier. Once I knew this it only took about 10 minutes to unplug the sensors and plug in the "optimizers".

Next step for me is an Akropovic. Anybody have a PCV map for an Akropovic to share?

Leachy.

Yes i have PB me your email adres and i send you the custom map i use.

Leachy.

Dutchgixxer your a good man. Thanks

Just put a PC V onto mine and, like the others have said, it is a real improvement. The low end (2000-4000) throttle response is now perfect (for me). 100% better than stock. It's totally linear and silky smooth. Very happy (just like I was when I put a PCIII on my '02, only this time its an even better result).

Combined with the Penske shock and the Traxxion front end, this thing is damn near perfect for what I want. Once I get my hands on the Bazzaz derestrictor, I'll be set. Can't wait to head down to the Gap area in 3 short weeks! (Couldn't get down there for T-Mac although I sure wished I could have).

Edit: Forgot to add: Is it just me or was installing the O2 sensor things the biggest pain in the a@# or what! I don't think Honda could have tucked them in a more inaccessible spot!

Put mine on last night and was only able to take a short ride. I agree that it made a tremendous difference in low end throttle response. I have a 2 bros exhaust and am using the map from the Dynojet site. I plan to get a custom map, after the BMC filters are available. +1 on the O2 sensors....took longer to get them installed than removing the fairings!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest manfred

Leachy.

Good Morning Dutchgixxer,

is it possible to get the map too?

I own a VFR1200 and have a bos-exhaust mountet, i thing your map would be

better than the on from pc for stock exhaust.

it would be very kind if you send it to me.

Many thanks in advance!

Manfred

Leachy.

Good Morning Dutchgixxer,

is it possible to get the map too?

I own a VFR1200 and have a bos-exhaust mountet, i thing your map would be

better than the on from pc for stock exhaust.

it would be very kind if you send it to me.

Many thanks in advance!

Manfred

Pb me your email adres i will send you the map.

BTW do not apply the O2 optimizers. The wil cause a mill 21/22 to be generated.

I installed an Akrapovic exhaust today and loaded Dutchgixxer's PCV map. It's running well and the improvement has been about the same agian as when I first installed the PVC with the OEM exhaust map. The bottom end torque and throttle response is now much better then stock.

I've got the O2 optimizers installed and don't get any error codes. I have read on other forums that some of the early early VFR1200 O2 optimizers had the pins wired incorrectly and would cause errors.

Leachy

I installed an Akrapovic exhaust today and loaded Dutchgixxer's PCV map. It's running well and the improvement has been about the same agian as when I first installed the PVC with the OEM exhaust map. The bottom end torque and throttle response is now much better then stock.

I've got the O2 optimizers installed and don't get any error codes. I have read on other forums that some of the early early VFR1200 O2 optimizers had the pins wired incorrectly and would cause errors.

Leachy

have you tryed to ride the bike hard ? ride it 190 km/h or harder i will bet the Mill will come on. If you ride it moderate no mills are generated.

Leachy

You're correct, check your pin alignments on the optimzers according to the picture Dynojet sent me. I had the MIL error codes 23 and 24 because of incorrect alignment of the pins.

post-20934-0-56999100-1308179313_thumb.j

Leachy

You're correct, check your pin alignments on the optimzers according to the picture Dynojet sent me. I had the MIL error codes 23 and 24 because of incorrect alignment of the pins.

`

With the false wired plugs you will get the 23 - 24 error lambda heating not present.

With the "good" wired plugs you wil get 21-22 error O2 signal false this is differend error.

Please let me know if your experiences are different.

Leachy

`

With the false wired plugs you will get the 23 - 24 error lambda heating not present.

With the "good" wired plugs you wil get 21-22 error O2 signal false this is differend error.

Please let me know if your experiences are different.

I just went for a ride and tried to induce the 21-22 errors but nothing.

Leachy.

Dutchgixxer,

Dynojet is sending me new optimizers with correct pin alignments, I'll let you know after I installl them. Cheers.

• Member Contributer

I had the 23 and 24 errors, too, but Dynojet sent me new sensor eliminators and they solved the problem. I'm just hoping that I never have to get at those sensor plugs again! What a pain...

:tour:

Did anyone install the Power Commander yourself and have your throttle position read anything other than 0% at closed throttle?

Mine is at 4% and I am not able to safely calibrate it without placing it on a dyno since it have throttle by wire. The bike runns really good, although if it is at 4% at idle it is never at the proper 0% throttle mixture since it is already greater than 2%. If you have looked at the PC software, the PC is mapped at 0, 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100%. It seems minor but the most important part of the map when it comes to drivability are the 0-20% settings and that is why they are closer together than the mid and high area where there are 20% increments.

I am taking it to a shop tomorrow to set the calibration while on a dyno. At the same time we will see what the output looks like. I have a custom exhaust and PCV with switchable derestrict for the 1st and 2nd gear Honda restriction. It would be interested to know if anyone else installed a PCV themselves and to learn what their TPS calibration was sitting at for closed throttle.

• Member Contributer

Very interesting. I hadn't actually run mine with a computer attached. But now I have, and I get the same result you do. I'll call tech support tomorrow to see what they have to say. I'll post their response here.

I'm curious what you find out from your trip to the shop, too. Please let me know what you learn. Thanks...

Did anyone install the Power Commander yourself and have your throttle position read anything other than 0% at closed throttle?

Mine is at 4% and I am not able to safely calibrate it without placing it on a dyno since it have throttle by wire. The bike runns really good, although if it is at 4% at idle it is never at the proper 0% throttle mixture since it is already greater than 2%. If you have looked at the PC software, the PC is mapped at 0, 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100%. It seems minor but the most important part of the map when it comes to drivability are the 0-20% settings and that is why they are closer together than the mid and high area where there are 20% increments.

I am taking it to a shop tomorrow to set the calibration while on a dyno. At the same time we will see what the output looks like. I have a custom exhaust and PCV with switchable derestrict for the 1st and 2nd gear Honda restriction. It would be interested to know if anyone else installed a PCV themselves and to learn what their TPS calibration was sitting at for closed throttle.

Yep, mine reads 4% with the throttle closed. Once I get it to the dyno shop I'll have them reset it. Even with the error the mine seems to run fine - much better than standard.

Leachy

If you connect the PC-v to the computer you can set trottle opening at idle to 0%. Its a buttun in the software. Very easy.

OMG............How and the hell are you guys getting to the O2 sensors?? Do you have a machine that shrinks your hands or something?? Im having the damn-est time trying to get to those sob's :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: . Other than that Im done.

• Member Contributer

OMG............How and the hell are you guys getting to the O2 sensors?? Do you have a machine that shrinks your hands or something?? Im having the damn-est time trying to get to those sob's :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: . Other than that Im done.

Yeah, it's a job I hope never to have to do again. Although I did actually get pretty good at it after three times. Yes really. The first time I had all the bodywork off, and actually ended up taking the radiator off to get the job done. Foolishly, I put everything back together before I tested it. When I fired it up for the first time I got 23 and 24 error code lights blinking. Finally found out that Power Commander had shipped several kits with faulty o2 sensor eliminators. Mine were faulty.

On a Wednesday morning Power Commander promised to overnight the correct sensor eliminators. I dived back in on Wednesday evening, this time only removing the radiator mounting bolts and gently pried the radiator forward with a 2x4 block. By now I knew where the bracket was that held the o2 plugs, and that it was held in place with an 8mm-headed bolt. It took some doing, and my hands may never be the same, but I finally got the bolt out, pulled the bracket forward, and the faulty sensor eliminators out without actually taking the radiator off. Good enough. The right parts would arrive on Thursday, I could spend Thursday evening putting them back in, and still head off for the Hells Canyon Motorcycle Rally on Friday morning as planned.

Arriving home from work Thursday evening my worst fears were realized. There was no package waiting for me on my doorstep. [Don't get me started on Dyno Jet customer service!...] Rather than miss the rally, I decided to plug the stock sensors back in and ride. I had a great four days on some of my favorite roads, so I'm not sorry for my decision. But it meant, of course, that if I really wanted a Power Commander I would have to do the job one more time once the parts finally arrived. If they arrived. [insert words here that HS doesn't want me to use.]

The parts arrived while I was at the rally, and with all my practice I managed to get them installed and put the bike back together again in a single evening. I hope I never have to go there again!

I wish I could tell you that there's a secret that makes the job easy. Or even easier. If there is, I didn't find it. All I can say is with some perseverance and an 8mm box end wrench it can be done. It would have helped at times if I'd had a second pair of hands, or at least someone to hold a light for me. With the radiator moved as far forward as I dared, i was able to get a hand to the bracket straight up from below, or over the top of the radiator and down and back and get the job done. All the while, I didn't even know for sure that it'd be worth the effort. But on that score I can help you: it was...

I did what ddr did to get my hands on the O2 sensors; remove the radiator bolt to move the radiator approximately 1 inch forward to gain exta room. But I didn't revmove the bracket bolt because the O2 sensors will slide off the brackets (sorry can't remember if they slided downward or upward to get them off the bracket). Onec they're off the brackets, you'll have a little extra wiggle room in there to unplug the O2 sensors. Yes, it's a pain the arse!

I did what ddr did to get my hands on the O2 sensors; remove the radiator bolt to move the radiator approximately 1 inch forward to gain exta room. But I didn't revmove the bracket bolt because the O2 sensors will slide off the brackets (sorry can't remember if they slided downward or upward to get them off the bracket). Onec they're off the brackets, you'll have a little extra wiggle room in there to unplug the O2 sensors. Yes, it's a pain the arse!

After some dinner and an hour brake or so, I went back at it, and realized that you could just lift the tab, and slide em forward right off the brkt. After I did that, I was able to pull em out and unplug em. I didn't have to pull the radiator completely off, just took out the mounting bolts and pulled it forward an inch or two. I looked at my O2 "optimizer" caps and compared them to the pics that someone posted on here and they were the correct ones, so lets hope I dont have to tear apart the faring again? I did notice a strange noise, almost like an alarm, coming from within the bike. Not sure what thats all about, but I actually haven't even started the bike yet, so maybe once the bike is hot and running it will go away. And like others my throttle was at 5%. Thanks for all the great info, this forum rocks!

OMG!...........What a difference! Its amazing what a PCV & 2 Bro's exhaust will do. If your unsure about the 1200, and its low rpm hesitations, add these two mods, you won't regret it! It will awake the sleeping dragon :biggrin:

Chalk up another satisfied PC-V owner/installer. Those O2 sensors are SO nasty. I've got pretty large hands, so I called out Mrs. BrandX, and got her to lie down on the driveway and pull the sensors off the bracket while I levered the rad out of the way. What a pain in the buttski.

Anyway, I went out and did some stop and go riding, and the difference is fantastic. Why, oh why did my bike not come like this from the factory, Mr. Honda? Oh well, I got to tear the bodywork off the bike on put it back together with only one extra piece left over - LOL! I was quite intimidated doing that - I'm somewhat of a klutz when it comes to working on vehicles, but I was too cheap to pay somebody to do it. I was sure I was going to break something, but it worked out OK.

Note my custom fuel tank elevation unit - pretty special!

post-22241-0-06784900-1309575199_thumb.j

Anyway, I went out and did some stop and go riding, and the difference is fantastic. Why, oh why did my bike not come like this from the factory, Mr. Honda?

A little government agency called the EPA prevents Mr Honda from releasing bikes that run properly from the factory. Write your congressman!

A little government agency called the EPA prevents Mr Honda from releasing bikes that run properly from the factory. Write your congressman!

For both of us, we'll have to write our MPs instead. ALthough with my bike being imported from the States, that puts me in a position where neither one of them would care

So why can cars be produced without this problem when bikes apparently cannot? I've spoken to a couple of Ducati owners who say they have the same issue. I don't get it.

BTW Phobe, props for the video explaining the removal of the plastic - that helped me a lot.

Archived