RV4?

Guest gate2hell

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure yet, I haven't weighed anything since the project began. I'm still trying to decide what to do about the tank and bodywork since there should be some weight to save there. I'll be happy if I can get it down to 350lbs/160kgs wet. I still need to remove the stator and rotor as well.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure yet, I haven't weighed anything since the project began. I'm still trying to decide what to do about the tank and bodywork since there should be some weight to save there. I'll be happy if I can get it down to 350lbs/160kgs wet. I still need to remove the stator and rotor as well.

I did that that saves about 4 kg on, go for carbonfiber , saves you alot and aluminum tank, and use the fiberpart as cover! that steel tank is awfully heavy.

I'm curious how this ends, looking forward to see finished, post pictures!

• Member Contributer

I did that that saves about 4 kg on, go for carbonfiber , saves you alot and aluminum tank, and use the fiberpart as cover! that steel tank is awfully heavy.

I do have a 600RR tank cover and have been debating fabricating an aluminum fuel cell. Once the chassis and exhaust have been figured out, I'll be tackling the tank and the bodywork.

Once I have the bike sitting on its wheels with the dogbone clevis welded in, ill start a thread on the project. The wheels are currently at the powder coater, and I've stripped the swingarm down to the bare aluminum. Once I get everything back then I should be able to get the chassis sorted pretty quickly.

I do have a 600RR tank cover and have been debating fabricating an aluminum fuel cell. Once the chassis and exhaust have been figured out, I'll be tackling the tank and the bodywork.

Once I have the bike sitting on its wheels with the dogbone clevis welded in, ill start a thread on the project. The wheels are currently at the powder coater, and I've stripped the swingarm down to the bare aluminum. Once I get everything back then I should be able to get the chassis sorted pretty quickly.

You will be surprised how well it behaves, rocksteady...

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I don't know, but anything 350lbs or under would be pretty special, which these bike are (RV4's, the 340lb RC30). I was curious as to what my VFRR and stock 94 weighed, so I took the bathroom scale to the garage and my mostly stock 94 weighed 256lbs front + 270lbs rear wheel on scale = 526lbs wet. Its stock except for a Corbin seat and backrest, gel pad on seat, yosh slip on, 954 shock, speigler kit w/ k+n superbike bars, and a gold valve in front forks. I then measured my 94 VFRR, I measured 218lbs front + 208lbs rear= 426 lbs wet (w 3/4 tank of premium) or 100lbs less than stock. It is far from stock in that it has Airtech RVF race fairing and tail, GSXR forks, Kosman Adjustable triples, PM 6 piston calipers biting 340mm full floating iron rotors, CBR600RR front wheel, polished frame thats had the steering stem steeped 1 degree, tapered bearings, BLS hand made rear sets, BLS one off non cush rear srocket carrier and rear brake brake for 2 piston pm cailper, RC45 rear wheel and 120/ 190 PP2CTs and an extensively modified eng. (approx. $6K to build motor= approx 125-130 HP) Losing an additonal 100 lbs!!! would be awesome but extremely expensive, but getting down to 390-400lbs could be easy for track trim ( Remove headlight assy and bracket, side stand, license plate, bracket + frame, plus could put on the aluminum tube rear sub frame, remove the rotor/ stator assy and starter and the stock wiring harness and run full loss and I think I'd be between 380-390 lbs wet)) lossing much more would be big $$$

post-17506-0-81339600-1317067916_thumb.j

post-17506-0-92442200-1317067984_thumb.j

post-17506-0-90043500-1317068036_thumb.j

post-17506-0-33311800-1317068161_thumb.j

post-17506-0-54120500-1317068260_thumb.j

• Member Contributer

Thanks for posting the weight of your bike! I weighed my old 5th gen a while back, 520 lbs with a full tank and a TBR slip on was the only mod. Do you have a stock tank on your bike? Switching to a double sided swing arm would probably save you a few pounds as well, but you're probably most of the way there with that custom rear hub.

• 2 weeks later...

How's goin on your project, my trackday rained away, yesterday. and had to cancel the Mugello trip, so it's finished for this year, Back to the Drawing board , new project : VTR 1000 SP 1/2 Colin Edwards Replica. ( RC51) In stars and stripes livery , Nice bike !!

• 2 weeks later...

The exhaust works very good with a stock engine , a little loud, 105 db

I'm glad to hear the exhaust works well with the stock motor.

Hey guys, nice to see some movement on this topic. This is turning into a really nice thread! I've been a bit slow but have a 5th Gen project in the works along the same lines. I'm looking at a GSXR1000 K8 front-end, CBR954 swingarm and a host of other goodies (will reveal as they are actually installed). I will also need to go to a split 2/1 system on a stock-ish Gen5 engine, with the same problem as you; namely no room to package the exhaust around the new swingarm. Is anyone willing to disclose runner lengths on a 2/1 system? Obviously we can't even use the original lengths as they join diagonal cylinders, not adjacent ones. Some info on this would be a huge help in designing a custom system - something I'll have to do but know nothing about... RV4 - since you have the experience, any limitations with a split 2/1 system? Traditionally a 4/2/1 system helps eliminate torque holes by spreading the scavenging zone across the rev-range (or something...) It would be nice to get a target length so we don't end up with a peaky pipe design. Kostritzer, did you have any plans/solutions for this?

Another problem I have is dealing with a 25mm swingarm axle shaft. As the 5th gen pivots through the rear of the cases, there are two steel inserts to support the swingarm pivot bolt. I'd like to keep the 25mm axle, and am wondering if I can get away with boring out the steel inserts in the cases, this would be a good way to go, only problem is removing 2.5mm from the insert wall thickness is probably a bit brave... I wonder what minimum wall thickness I can get away with? I might be able to use a HS-steel that could work... Has anyone had experience with engine-case swingarm pivots?

General problem with VFR steering headstock bearings - I was about to go and order a set of tapered roller bearings then realised the bearing seats in the frame are only 8mm deep. These are designed to provide enough seating depth for a angular contact spherical ball bearing with a very narrow outer race - as are the original Honda bearings. If you push a tapered roller bearing into this, using the bottom bearing as an example, a standard size tapered roller for the bottom is 30x55x17mm. This means that when seated, the outer race is only supported to 8mm depth - 9mm, or more than Half the depth of the outer race, sits in air, unsupported. Has this ever been considered by anyone, or been an issue before? To me it defeats the whole purpose of going to tapered rollers - it sounds scary that more than half my LOWER headstock bearing is not seated... Any thoughts? Is this the same on the 4th Gen frames?

Thanks all.

General problem with VFR steering headstock bearings - I was about to go and order a set of tapered roller bearings then realised the bearing seats in the frame are only 8mm deep. These are designed to provide enough seating depth for a angular contact spherical ball bearing with a very narrow outer race - as are the original Honda bearings. If you push a tapered roller bearing into this, using the bottom bearing as an example, a standard size tapered roller for the bottom is 30x55x17mm. This means that when seated, the outer race is only supported to 8mm depth - 9mm, or more than Half the depth of the outer race, sits in air, unsupported. Has this ever been considered by anyone, or been an issue before? To me it defeats the whole purpose of going to tapered rollers - it sounds scary that more than half my LOWER headstock bearing is not seated... Any thoughts? Is this the same on the 4th Gen frames?

Thanks all.

No worries. See here:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/28433-rc51-front-end-swap/page__view__findpost__p__336321

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

How's goin on your project, my trackday rained away, yesterday. and had to cancel the Mugello trip, so it's finished for this year, Back to the Drawing board , new project : VTR 1000 SP 1/2 Colin Edwards Replica. ( RC51) In stars and stripes livery , Nice bike !!

Well, sad to say that I've abandoned my project, at least for the time being. I picked up a lightly used 2011 Daytona 675, and feel like this may be the bike I was trying to build. It makes power in the same manner as a VFR(although a little more peak actually) its light, and steers/handles like my old 600RR(maybe better actually). I may pick the VFR project back up if I have time, but with 15 yr and 3 yr old daughters to deal with, I just don't have the time for a project at the moment.

• Member Contributer

Hey now, I have two daughters, one is 13, and the other is 9. The bike helps keep me sane, as there are times when I must escape all the estrogen that's trying to take over the house!!!

EXACTLY! That's why I needed a running bike! It was hard to escape on the project bike!

Hey now, I have two daughters, one is 13, and the other is 9. The bike helps keep me sane, as there are times when I must escape all the estrogen that's trying to take over the house!!!

EXACTLY! That's why I needed a running bike! It was hard to escape on the project bike!

Fair enough!!! That's something that I didn't consider. Although being stationed in Germany, I'm not able to ride a good 4-6 months out of the year, depending on the weather, this is when I retreat to my garage, and complete my winter projects...

• Member Contributer

Fair enough!!! That's something that I didn't consider. Although being stationed in Germany, I'm not able to ride a good 4-6 months out of the year, depending on the weather, this is when I retreat to my garage, and complete my winter projects...

Yeah, we're pretty spoiled here in Southern California. The high today is going to be 76 degrees fahrenheit, we can pretty much ride all year round. I would love to tour Germany one of these days though!

I'm thinking of finishing my project up "on the cheap". Probably a 900RR swingarm and F4i front end or similar.

• 3 weeks later...

Btec: I haven't spotted any reduction in the Torque, but what I spotted it rev's higher 11500 before the engine mods, now it's revving 12500 and pulling to the limiter , (12500) I think it possible to experiment pipelenghts : the one set that I had manufactured are 40 cm long each and then joined in one 5 cm before entering the Silencer/muffler ! I considering diff. length of pipes before the Silencer

this will be tested next year. Now it is to cold !

Btec: I haven't spotted any reduction in the Torque, but what I spotted it rev's higher 11500 before the engine mods, now it's revving 12500 and pulling to the limiter , (12500) I think it possible to experiment pipelenghts : the one set that I had manufactured are 40 cm long each and then joined in one 5 cm before entering the Silencer/muffler ! I considering diff. length of pipes before the Silencer

this will be tested next year. Now it is to cold !

Ah, great. Thanks for that! I think I'll try these runner lengths and stick to the standard diameters. I thought of something the other night, I wonder if you could stagger the exhaust runner lengths between the two vee's - so you have one a bit longer and one a bit shorter. In theory to spread or smooth out the torque band - like they do with unequal length inlet trumpets on some inline fours (GSXR750 for example).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Yes I'm here!

and the weight is 140 kg which should be est 280 lbs, it has amercian Braketech rotors...

So, i'm not the only one that dreams a VFR as a really racer... Mine is renamed VFR 800 RR.

Congratulations RV4, great job!!!

Ciao, Luigi.

• Member Contributer

Of course it's modified!!! and I will not tell what for the moment, because its scheduled for something next year...

OK. Year is well up. Time to spill the beans.

:lurk: :lurk: :lurk:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived