Front tire wearing funny, need help

tdchonda1

• Member Contributer

OK, sorry for the dumb question. But I have NO idea about setting up a bike.

First off its a 4th gen with stock forks that have been rebuild with gold vales, 1.0 springs , rear has 929 rebuilt (all by JDMotorsports). I weight about 235 ready to ride, and trying out the new Power Pures.

I think the bike handles great (but I do not know what it should feel like).

The problem is the front tires are starting to feather a good bit. (It was all from about 1200 miles from T-Mac last month.) I ride at a decent pace, but NO racer. I just want to get the most out of the bike and the tires.

I have NO idea what adjust what on the rear ( which is compression and which is rebound? top or bottom?)

Thanks for the help.

Travis

Sometimes it is just the tire brand and the bike, plus the type of riding you do/local road conditions, and nothing can be done except to switch tire brands.

Aside from checking your steering head bearings, wheel bearings, swingarm bearings, there's not much to do.

Watch your inflation pressures too.

I thought you and Brain VR-R1 set up the suspension last year?Remember I had the DVD on suspension for mortals.

Good luck call Michelin as to the correct air pressure on the pure.

Air pressure, SAG, and ride height/chassis attitude are what you want to check out, given good mechanical condition.

Pics would be nice, try and get a shot of the size of the chicken strip on the front and the back, if you have any. It will help to figure out if your chassis attitude is good.

• Member Contributer

I think you've already been given a lot of good ideas for things to check, hopefully one of those will give you insight into the funny wear pattern.

As for adjusting the rear shock, here are the three features:

Spring Preload - this is the large silver collar at the top of the spring. You'll need a spanner to adjust it. Getting in there when installed is usually the most difficult part.

Rebound Damping - This is the screwdriver adjustment near the lower mount of the shock. There are letters on the shock that show the soft (S) and hard (H) directions.

Compression Damping - This is the screwdriver adjustment located where the reservoir meets the shock body. Do not try to turn the gold holder! The direction is also shown on the shock.

Mine recently started to do this too. When you say feather do you mean a raised lip on the edges of the Rain sipes. I attribute mine to too much Comp( I recently added 1/4 turn but I like the feel.). Also its only the rear. The front and rear are almost shot as I might get 1 more ride out of them (Maybe)

1 trackday ( Basically) and 2000 miles but they grip really well in the twisties.. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I will try to get some pictures tonight after work. ONLY the front tire is feathering on outer edges. Not much chick strips front or rear.

All the bearings are good (all NEW), marid2apterbilt told me to try 34/40 psi for the tires when I first got the tires.

The bike seams to hold a line good. Brian (VF-1R) helped me set the sag last year and I have not changed a thing after that.

I guess I will start with setting tires back to OEM 36/42, and recheck the sag.

Thanks for all your input.fing02.gif

• Member Contributer

Sorry, I have been trying to down load a few pictures of my tires, but it will not up load.

Keep getting "This upload failed" I have tried different pictures and all doing the same thing. Will try again tomorrow.

• Member Contributer

TDC,

Dont forget to mention that you have an 8 spoke rear (5.5 inch instead of the 5 inch wide stock rear).

Have you checked the alignment with the front? Maybe stretch some elastic around the two tires front to back and see if both sides are contacted equally?

Keith

ps, I told you should have switched off on that Saturday ride after the meth addict dropped and the ambulance was called to Arby's... :laughing6-hehe: that way you can experience different set ups and compare.

• Member Contributer

I will try to get some pictures tonight after work. ONLY the front tire is feathering on outer edges. Not much chick strips front or rear.

All the bearings are good (all NEW), marid2apterbilt told me to try 34/40 psi for the tires when I first got the tires.

The bike seams to hold a line good. Brian (VF-1R) helped me set the sag last year and I have not changed a thing after that.

Okay - I'ma ask these questions and I'm not trying to be a smart-arse or anything... But, you indicated in one of your posts that you weigh in at about 235 lbs. I remember reading a thread on another forum that had suggested PSI for riders above the average 180 lb rider, or for running two-up. Should you adjust your PSI to accomodate?

I'm thinking that this might be just how it is when you put a big guy on a bike running low tire pressure... you wind up with some feathering.

Have you noticed any difference whatsoever in your ride quality? Any front end/bar wobble? Does the ride get a little choppy at certain speeds?

• Member Contributer

Okay - I'ma ask these questions and I'm not trying to be a smart-arse or anything... But, you indicated in one of your posts that you weigh in at about 235 lbs. I remember reading a thread on another forum that had suggested PSI for riders above the average 180 lb rider, or for running two-up. Should you adjust your PSI to accomodate?

I'm thinking that this might be just how it is when you put a big guy on a bike running low tire pressure... you wind up with some feathering.

Have you noticed any difference whatsoever in your ride quality? Any front end/bar wobble? Does the ride get a little choppy at certain speeds?

That makes a lot of since. (my big but and low tire pressure).

The ride quality seams great, BUT this is the my first time on the Power Pures. They have really good turn in. No choppy ride at all (but the tires are a little out of balance any thing above 65mph, I just had them put on the day before we left for T-Mac)

I am setting the tires pressure to spec and going to try the Dyna Beads. (not tried them yet).

I still can NOT upload my pictures.pissed.gif (I have even tried uploading some old ones that I have uploaded before with NO luck.) will try later.

Thanks for the info.

the lower pressure is good for the track, but i would go 36/42 on the street. you just dont need the grip for any street riding PLUS the heat will go up and the life will go down.

i see the pic, but dont really see a lot wrong with it. you might be getting a pinching on the edge with the low pressure.

• Member Contributer

the lower pressure is good for the track, but i would go 36/42 on the street. you just dont need the grip for any street riding PLUS the heat will go up and the life will go down.

i see the pic, but dont really see a lot wrong with it. you might be getting a pinching on the edge with the low pressure.

+1

Those tires look pretty good to me.

• Member Contributer

OK, I am just paranoid.

The pictures do not show the slight feathering, but I will not worry about it.

Thanks for the help!

Archived