Staintune Exhaust makes noise!

Guest Donnie1967

Guest Donnie1967

Funny thing happened on a recent ride... I'm zippin' around Lake Washington as I am wont to do. Out of the blue, it sounds like some rice-burner import tuned kid car is right on my ass. There's a loud exhaust note that isn't unpleasant. Look behind me, there's no one there.

So I pull off the road... well lookie what happened here; the right insert of my staintune exhaust must've blown out and away, cuz it's now missing!

Damn if it doesn't sound a hell of a lot better now, though! Nice low growl with that piece gone.

So... is the '02 gonna suffer any negative side effects from missing 50% of its exhaust inserts?

Picture is probably necessary here...

gallery_17738_4736_229778.jpg

gallery_17738_4736_280980.jpg

gallery_17738_4736_277001.jpg

Those inserts are each held in by one little screw. I guess it vibrated loose and dropped out. As you noted, the sound is better without the inserts. Might as well remove the other one!

• Member Contributer

I suspect most folks, me included, will adise simply removing the other baffle. That gives you a matched set and if you and your neighbors don't find the db level a problem you're good to go. I run mine this way most of the time and have no driveability problems.

If it turns out it's too loud for you, there are a couple of options. First, you can order a stock baffle from Staintune. Second, you can probably get one from a Vifferisti who has dumped hers/his. Or, third you can buy a set of "big bore baffles" from Staintune. They're a bit louder than the standard baffles, but won't set off car alarms.

jim

• Member Contributer

I had the exact same thing happen on my SuperHawk while running it up to redline in second gear. POOF! Jettisoned it like a mortar shell. It was partially my fault as I hadn't used locktite when putting them back in. That was over 10 years ago and that insert cost like $40 back then! CBT imports, the US distributor, wouldn't sell me the part and I had to go through a dealer for a proper raping. Yes, I did go back and find the original but it was too banged up and out of round to go back in plus it looked like poo.

• Member Contributer

If you like the dual tone exhaust note... leave it. You have a single pipe supplying both mufflers (4-1-2), so you won't have any exhaust flow imbalance from your cylinders so no negative mechanical issues I can see. You will get more exhaust flow through the un-baffled muffler and you may have to re-map your fuel injection if it is causing you to run lean. As rpms climb and the exhaust back pressure increases more and more exhaust will flow through the un-baffled muffler compared to the baffled one. One way to look at it is you have the best of both worlds... a little muffling at low rpms and basically an open pipe at higher rpms.

After a little more thought, you may have issues with exhaust gas scavanging and reflected waves in your exhaust system. Do you still have a cat converter? I'm no expert... does anyone know if the reflected exhaust gas pressure waves after the cat affect the scavanging effect? I would think the internal honeycomb structure of the cat would break it up... but what do i know, I'm a biologist not an engineer

:biggrin:

I had some issues when I took mine off my 99, it started to stall out occassionally while coming to a stop as it was too lean so I added the TFI (Techlusion module) to it which took care of the lean issue but then I had a issue while getting off the gas and it sounded like it was backfiring but that was corrected easily by removing the PAIR valve and capping it.

I don't think you are going to have any real mechanical issues aside from a slightly leaner bike.

I also have a K&N air filter which contributed to my lean mixture.

• Member Contributer

I had some issues when I took mine off my 99, it started to stall out occassionally while coming to a stop as it was too lean so I added the TFI (Techlusion module) to it which took care of the lean issue but then I had a issue while getting off the gas and it sounded like it was backfiring but that was corrected easily by removing the PAIR valve and capping it.

I don't think you are going to have any real mechanical issues aside from a slightly leaner bike.

I also have a K&N air filter which contributed to my lean mixture.

I suspect some other issue in this case. My '99 runs perfectly with the Staintune muffler sans spud, and no other mods to intake or exhaust. Airbox, flapper, PAIR, headers, fuel mapping, etc. all stock.

In other words, take out the remaining spud from the left can! :biggrin:

So... is the '02 gonna suffer any negative side effects from missing 50% of its exhaust inserts?

I'm running mine without those inserts, and have absolutely zero issues. I bought the bike second hand at 18,000 km with the unbaffled Staintunes already installed, and put an additional 30,000 km since then without any problems. The only "problem" I have is that everybody checks me out when I'm riding by, because my exhaust note is too sexy. :biggrin:

Thanks everyone for their input! I'm already on the neighbor's S-list, so I don't think I'll purposefully remove the remaining one. It sounds very sweet now, and I'll keep the tips about leaner running engine in mind. First backfire, though, and I'm on the horn with Staintune...

• Member Contributer

Thanks everyone for their input! I'm already on the neighbor's S-list, so I don't think I'll purposefully remove the remaining one. It sounds very sweet now, and I'll keep the tips about leaner running engine in mind. First backfire, though, and I'm on the horn with Staintune...

If that happens, you might ask about the BBBs (big bore baffles). I have a set and, although I don't have them in now, they are a nice compromise between the pretty soft spoken standard baffles and more "enthusiastic" bark of totally uncorked system.

The downside? They're not cheap.

good luck

• Member Contributer

that-sa not-a noise-a

That-sa sound!!!

........and my D&D is NOT loud.

Sure. And as I tell my wife. Smell? I don't smell anything. :fing02:

I'm surprised it came out. The 'spud' (insert) that came with my Staintune is a really tight fit, and the 'little screw' that came with it has a spring washer and plain washer, and never comes loose. Even the second one I bought (which is a loose fit) never works it's way loose.

• Member Contributer

Why hasn't anyone asked the critical question yet? WHY WAS THE SPUD IN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

You Americans are crazy. The rule is this:

1. Buy Staintunes

2. Throw spuds away

3. Listen to the PHAT sound. :laughing6-hehe:

I've had my 'tunes for 7 years and I think I've put the spuds in three times, and all of those were with the bike on the centrestand!

• Member Contributer

I don't use mine. 1) Because I like the sound and 2) Anything I can do to pissoff my neighbor is a good thing. They're A-holes!. If I can find them, I'll send you one free O' charge. PM me if interested.

Why hasn't anyone asked the critical question yet? WHY WAS THE SPUD IN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

1. Buy Staintunes

2. Throw spuds away

3. Listen to the PHAT sound. :goofy:

I've had my 'tunes for 7 years and I think I've put the spuds in three times, and all of those were with the bike on the centrestand!

When I got my 'tunes, I purposely put the baffles in and forced myself to first hear them with the spuds in - because I KNEW that once I took them out, I wouldn't want to put them back in. Wouldn't ya know, I was right! :fing02:

I am going to hang on to mine though, on the off chance that I ever get rid of them.

1. Buy Staintunes

2. Throw spuds away

3. Listen to the PHAT sound. :goofy:

When I got my 'tunes, I purposely put the baffles in and forced myself to first hear them with the spuds in - because I KNEW that once I took them out, I wouldn't want to put them back in. Wouldn't ya know, I was right! :fing02:

I am going to hang on to mine though, on the off chance that I ever get rid of them.

I run without the spuds in my Staintunes. Not loud at all and sounds bitchin. Just take the other one out and forget about it. Your bike will sound better, run better, and overall BE better.

Flash

• Member Contributer

My Remus has the same set up. The “spuds” are installed with pop riviets from the factory but you can drill them out and then use the supplied screws to remove/replace at your desire. I’ve thought about taking them out. I am sure it would sound even better and if I was only thinking about myself they’d already be out but my motorcycle is parked very close to my neighbors bedroom and I leave at 5:30 every morning…..

Archived