What Do You Use To Clean Your Helmet?

Guest VifferDude

Guest VifferDude

Hi Guys,

It's come to to give my helmet a clean. You know the drill, get the bugs and other crusty bits of and have the visor spotless. I use to use "Helmet Cleaner" made buy Shell. You just spray it on and it foams up, the you just wipe it off. Works well at getting bugs of. My last can ran out, so before I rush out and buy more I was going to see if any of you guys know of better claners.

The inside is starting to get a little rank too. I'd like to soak the helmet in "Napisan". It's got those Bio cleaner thingys in it. This stuff works well for smells and stains etc. But I don't know it it's harmful to the outer shell?

• Member Contributer

I have use this stuff for years . Works good on the DRAGON.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=TUC_53-1100

beatdeadhorse.gif Beat that horse.

:excl: I love that stuff!!! I use it on my helmet visors with microfiber towels and they last sooooo much longer now!!

I keep a big can in the garage, and the middle sized version in my backpack...don't even mess around with the little one, it's too expensive for the quantity. Most dealerships will carry it(cheaper) and you won't have to pay shipping!!

I prefer a spit polish.

Or Honda Polish.

:fing02:

Gee some people really are die hard Honda fans! :excl:

Pledge works good too, but it doesn't smell as good as the Honda stuff. :blush:

• Member Contributer

I use water only on the helmet, nothing else. I carry a wet cloth in a ziplock bag in my tank bag, and it stays soggy wet for weeks. Soap and water on the liner (after removing, of course).

• Member Contributer

I use water only on the helmet, nothing else.

+1

Even better than tap water is distilled water because it won't leave any spots or streaks. It does a great job of cleaning off bug guts too. I have an old silk shirt that my GF threw away that I cut up into squares. Silk won't scratch the face shield if you don't rub in the bug guts but just let them soak and fall off with the silk.

20 years ago I bought some of that blue anti-fog crap they sell at motorcycle shows (you know the guy -who comes up and wants to clean your glasses with his stuff). It's good stuff and comes in a little 2oz spray bottle with a little cap so it won't spray in your tank bag. I use this stuff VERY sparingly. I have two of the bottles -one is the anti-fog cleaner stuff, and the other is filled with distilled water. 9 of 10 times I just use the distilled water spray. If I notice that the shield isn't getting clean with the water or is starting to fog I put the anti-fog cleaner on and it makes it look like new.

This is my 4th season on my Shoei TZ-R and the shield is like new still other than where it touches the gasket on the helmet when it is closed. Whenever the helmet is off my head it goes directly into the little soft drawstring bag it came with. This protects the helmet from scratches and dust.

The inside I wipe out with a soft wash cloth soaked with distilled water every once in a while and sometimes I'll drop in an unscented dryer sheet which soaks up any light stank that might build up and makes it smell fresh and clean.

Distilled water is the trick. The stuff is "hungry" to soak up stuff because it doesn't have any dissolved minerals or crap in it.

• Member Contributer

I found this article to be helpful...

Maintaining Your Helmets

shoei-cleaning-maintaining-your-helmet.jpg

Use the following instructions and guidelines to maintain your motorcycle helmet. This includes HJC, Shoei, KBC, Cirus, Cyber, Nolan, Skid Lids, Suomy, Fox Racing, Oneal, Troy Lee Designs, Thor MX and our entire line of helmets.

Motorcycle DOT and Snell rated helmets are designed to provide safe and comfortable rides for many years. To keep your helmet looking new and feeling comfortable, it is recommended that you follow these guidelines when cleaning your helmet. Please remember that your helmet is constructed of a variety of materials, so it is important to clean the various pieces in a manner to suit the given material.

The Outer Shell:

Only commonly available helmet or plastic cleaning products should be used to clean the exterior surface of your helmet. Automotive wax can be applied to protect the paint finish, but other harsh chemical should be avoided to keep from damaging the high-gloss finish.

Plastic Parts (including the shield)

Plastic parts should not be cleaned with anything containing solvents, including petrochemicals, as these agents are absorbed by the plastic material and may cause them to deteriorate and weaken over time. Acid or alkaline based corrosive cleaning agents, such as window cleaners containing ammonia, should also be avoided. The shield should only be cleaned using a soft cloth or a cotton swab with cool water.

Comfort liner

Removable padding should be removed and washed by hand in cool water using a neutral cleaning agent or in a washing net in the washing machine. Fixed padding should be wiped with a damp cloth containing a neutral cleaning agent. After cleaning, all parts should be thoroughly dried out of direct sunlight in order to prevent the development of unpleasant odors.

EPS Liner

The EPS (expanded polystyrene) liner is neither solvent nor heat proof, so the liner must be treated with particular care during cleaning. It should be cleaned using only a damp cloth in order to avoid scratching.

These guys are the manufacturers of the now discontinued Pro Honda Spray Cleaner Polish. Works great on most any painted surface...except flat black:

http://www.originalbikespirits.com/products.aspx?pid=667

Ok, but how can it be the original "stuff", if it's 50 state VOC compliant? :unsure:

I use lemon Pledge Spray. Works wonders.

Lemon Pledge has been found by the State of California to cause birth defects in Pregnant VFR's.

Gee, lots of good answers there. I think I'll give the Plexus a go for the outer shell. Some distelled water for the visor, and occasional anti fog spray for stuburn bugs. I don't think we have Pledge here in Austray-lee-ar. But what about the inner liner?,.....hmmmm I know the cheek pads come out of my helmet, but I'm not sure about the rest. It looks like it just pulls out, but I'm worried that once I pull it out I wont be able to get it back in?. Its a Shoei XR 1000. It cost me $900. Only the best protection for my skull!. I'd prefer and Arai, but a decent one is around $1400, and I don't think they are $500 safer than the Shoei. In fact I think they rate the same in safty. With Arai I beleive you're paying for a name. what's your opinion?

I never clean the outside of my helmet. Is this something those who can't ride year round do?

It's somthing that people who have paid 2 weeks pay for a helmet do. We need to make it last and look good. Same as washing and servicing your ride :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I never clean the outside of my helmet. Is this something those who can't ride year round do?

It's somthing that people who have paid 2 weeks pay for a helmet do. We need to make it last and look good. Same as washing and servicing your ride :fing02:

My helmet isn't some disposable Wal-Mart Bell* POS that costs $75! I'd like my Shoei TZ-R to last more than 2-3 years so I take care of it. Bug guts eat paint if left on for more than a few months -you can see the pitting after they've been cleaned off. What do they do to the helmet shell below that once they get all the way through the paint?

I'll clean my helmet every few weeks or so or after a long ride so that it doesn't have acidic bug guts burning their way through the finish and attacking the shell.

*Bell used to be a great brand and I remember in the 70's and early 80's when they were the premier maker of helmets. But once they start selling at Walmart in the bicycle aisle it's time to find a company with more commitment to making high-tech modern helmets instead of big-box junk. My head is worth more than the protection offered by a <$99 helmet. I hear Bell is trying to make a comeback. When I stop seeing them at Wal-Mart and at Pep Boys next to the cheap $999 250cc Chinese disposable cruisers I might take them seriously again.

• Member Contributer

I have an Arai. I take care not to scratch if possible and not drop it but I guess not so much bug guts here in the southwest just road grime but still I can't remember ever washing the outside of it besides the visor.

Archived