GPS trip planning

Guest spyder

I want to be able to plan a trip on my laptop and download that trip onto my GPS. Cheaper car GPS's don't seem to have this capability like the pricier motorcycle units. Anyone know of a cheaper car GPS that will allow trip planning. One with bluetooth would be nice.

• Member Contributer

If your gps has an sd card, I can prob help. Routes are saved in a file and I know of a tool that will convert many mapping software files to a .gpx or .kml or whatever file structure you need. what brand and model gps?

• Member Contributer

I know that with my TomTom One $50.00 refurb, I can operate it & plan destinations through my iMac with there TomTom Home application.

Good Luck

Garygallery_8073_5169_325342.jpg

IMG_0070.JPG

• Member Contributer

Just a quick look at GPSCity shows a Garmin 765t for about $250. Has Bluetooth, route mapping, not waterproof though. I use the Nuvi 750 on my bike and it works like a champ. No problems so far.

• Member Contributer

I want to be able to plan a trip on my laptop and download that trip onto my GPS. Cheaper car GPS's don't seem to have this capability like the pricier motorcycle units. Anyone know of a cheaper car GPS that will allow trip planning. One with bluetooth would be nice.

I use a cheap TomTom One (refurbished) and TYRE Trace Your Route Everywhere software (http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php). TYRE allows you to plan your route on your computer and upload it to TomTom as an itinerary. There's a little learning curve with the software, but once learned, its fairly easy to use. Good luck with whatever you do.

• Member Contributer

Be careful with the TomTom One though. If you get one of the newer ones which have the new firmware (v8.xxx), you can't get the itinerary planning or any of the other goodies that you could once do. And it won't let you flash it back to an older firmware either. Well, at least I haven't been successful.

• Member Contributer

If I had to save big $$$$$ ...right now I would get the Nuvi 500/550. It is waterproof and will hold your tracks well as well your routes. Plan your routes in Mapsource or the new 2010 Street & Trips.

THe major negatives are no sound output via 3.5mm or BT. No MP3s either.

• Member Contributer

If I had to save big $$$$$ ...right now I would get the Nuvi 500/550. It is waterproof and will hold your tracks well as well your routes. Plan your routes in Mapsource or the new 2010 Street & Trips.

This is why I'm getting a Zumo 550 next week. I've looked at others, but have yet to find one that's waterproof, has Bluetooth (going to get a Bluetooth intercom also) and trip planning. The $600+ price tag of the Zumo keeps me looking, but I have yet to find anything comparable at a decent discount.

• Member Contributer

This is why I'm getting a Zumo 550 next week. I've looked at others, but have yet to find one that's waterproof, has Bluetooth (going to get a Bluetooth intercom also) and trip planning. The $600+ price tag of the Zumo keeps me looking, but I have yet to find anything comparable at a decent discount.

I still love my Zumo 550 after 3+ years and counting. Look at the 660 too!

• Member Contributer

I still love my Zumo 550 after 3+ years and counting. Look at the 660 too!

I looked at the 660 but I like the real buttons on the 550. And yes, the 660 is the only one with stereo Bluetooth. The 550 has mono Bluetooth.

• Member Contributer

WARNING: Stay away from TomTom. I was recently given one as a gift, have had major trouble with it, and their customer support will hang you out to dry. I'm getting ready to trash can it since it didn't cost me anything but headaches. Let the buyer beware! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

WARNING: Stay away from TomTom. I was recently given one as a gift, have had major trouble with it, and their customer support will hang you out to dry. I'm getting ready to trash can it since it didn't cost me anything but headaches. Let the buyer beware! :angry:

Hmmmm.... :rolleyes: I own two TomTom's, a One and a 930T and both work just fine. On the bike I use the One, and the 930T in the cage and have used TYRE route planning program on both and have had very good success. I'm kind a thinking on using the 930T on the bike as well and selling the One, more features on the 930T. Can't speak to TT's customer support as I've never had an issue with either of them... yet. smile.gif

Be careful with the TomTom One though. If you get one of the newer ones which have the new firmware (v8.xxx), you can't get the itinerary planning or any of the other goodies that you could once do. And it won't let you flash it back to an older firmware either. Well, at least I haven't been successful.

If you don't mind if I brick your TT1 I can give it a shot...it should be possible to roll back. I know I looked at yours at the Summit, but of course was not a position to do any "adjusting" to it...

WARNING: Stay away from TomTom. I was recently given one as a gift, have had major trouble with it, and their customer support will hang you out to dry. I'm getting ready to trash can it since it didn't cost me anything but headaches. Let the buyer beware! :blink:

Let me know if you trashcan it...I will pay for shipping to throw it in my trashcan....

• Member Contributer

WARNING: Stay away from TomTom. I was recently given one as a gift, have had major trouble with it, and their customer support will hang you out to dry. I'm getting ready to trash can it since it didn't cost me anything but headaches. Let the buyer beware! :ph34r:

Let me know if you trashcan it...I will pay for shipping to throw it in my trashcan....

I don't need an enemy! My experience is what it is.... :blink:

WARNING: Stay away from TomTom. I was recently given one as a gift, have had major trouble with it, and their customer support will hang you out to dry. I'm getting ready to trash can it since it didn't cost me anything but headaches. Let the buyer beware! :ph34r:

you should see my collection of tinkering stuff....I can't help it, it's a compulsion. Not sure if binge drinking would be cheaper, but this compulsion at least keeps me from getting arrested (usually...there was that time...)

• Member Contributer

you should see my collection of tinkering stuff....I can't help it, it's a compulsion. Not sure if binge drinking would be cheaper, but this compulsion at least keeps me from getting arrested (usually...there was that time...)

I may tinker with it....find out what a shaped charge will do to it.... :ph34r:

I Have the Nuvi 550 and have only good things to say about it. It only has audio speaker, as indicated earlier, but when I've tried using the voice feature in the car, I usually end up putting it on 'mute'. I don't listen to music when I ride, I don't need the extra distraction, and I'm trying my best (with earplugs) to keep it as quiet as possible under my lid. Lastly, one of the GREAT things about riding (for me) is that I DON'T have to answer any phones, until I stop and check my messages. So it turns out that I didn't need BT anyway.

FTR, the touchscreen works perfectly well with gloves on, so I don't see the need for dedicated buttons.

Brian

PS. paid 279 for the Nuvi 550, new.

Archived