my @$$ hurts

OliverTwisted

Question

• Member Contributer

I don't know about the Sargent or Corbin, but there is a guy in Albany, OR that has been making custom seats since the 60's. Mr. Ed's Moto Seats at http://www.mredsmoto.com

I developed a siatic nerve issue last year, had Don at Mr. Ed's build me a seat and the issue has gone away. He does amazing work--$450 for a VFR seat. I'm not sure how or if he can do mail order but I thought I would throw it out there--it's the most comfortable seat I've ever sat on and I've been on quite a few bikes. I have no association with Mr. Ed's except for being a one-seat customer.

Good luck!

I'd like to know if anyone has owned or used for a significant amount of time both, the Sargent, and the Corbin seats and which one you prefer, (backrest aside)?

I'd say I've had about 80k+ on A Corbin..... and about 10k on a Sargent(This wins, hands(butt)down).

• Member Contributer

I had a Corbin for a number of years in the past. I just bought another one late last year for the VFR. If Sargent had the backrest option available, I likely would have gotten that instead. I've read a lot of people who have had both and say the Sargent is better, and more comfortable, by far.

My biggest complaint with the Corbin is the "non-slip" carbon fiber look material. It's about the most slippery seat I can recall sitting on. I'm not sure about Sargents but the Corbin is significantly heavier than the stock seat, and I mean significantly. But I only use it when I know I'm going to take my gf along. I leave the stock seat on with the cowl until then.

• Member Contributer

I'd like to know if anyone has owned or used for a significant amount of time both, the Sargent, and the Corbin seats and which one you prefer, (backrest aside)?

I had a Corbin on my ST1100. Didn't like it, replaced it with a Travelcade seat, much better. Based on that experience and the advice of others here, I went straight to the Sargent seat for my '04 VFR. Love it! Did a 500 mile day in October with no issues.

• Member Contributer

I've had both and prefer the Corbin for comfort, just my butt's preference. The Sargent is a much lighter seat and fits perfectly just like the original. Corbin's customer service is pretty atrocious too.

Me thinks that anything over stock foam will be more comfortable for long rides. I finally swapped over to Sargent and my ass has never been happier. I can ride 200+ with no issues. Never even have to get off unless I am getting fueled up.

Sargent has good delivery, Sand Hills powersports has great prices and quick delivery. The seat will be slippery for the fist bit but after a month or so, you will wonder how you ever did without it.

Here is a link for Sand Hills and a link for a UK custom seat builder.

UK LINK http://www.motorbike-seats.co.uk/GALLERY.htm

Sand Hills http://www.sandhillspowersports.com/sandhills/OnlineStore.do?DSP=200&PCR=1:5:50016&IID=sargent_hondavfr800i_08

Having ridden with both Corbin (on previous bikes) and the Sargent on my current '03 VFR, the Sargent is clearly a more comfortable seat. I've even added a small piece of sheep skin to add to the comfort.

• Member Contributer

After spending time on ambulances and ER's for the past 25 years, I was so glad to see this was a seating post.

It seems most people that I've talked to have a Corbin butt or a Sergeant butt. I've never sat on a Sergeant, I have a Corbin that I've had for about 4 years and it has been a good saddle. It is much better than the stock seat I like it. Some have had problems with Corbin's customer service, I had a small issue when I received the seat and it was promptly resolved, Corbin really took care of me. I've heard nothing but good about Sergeant's customer service though.

• Member Contributer

Slight hijack; has anyone had a Sargent custom made? I've got a Sargent on my '04 and while I like it, I think I want to have something different, specifically something taller and more flat instead of slanting downward into the tank like it is currently. I would also like something a little wider. I know this will make it a bit harder to stand flat footed while at a stop but since I've got a 36" inseam I don't really care. I love the Sargent materials and such so I would like to stick with them and either have my existing seat rebuilt or get a new one and sell the old one once it shows up.

Building up a list of tasks for a possible project in the spring.

Slight hijack; has anyone had a Sargent custom made?

I had one custom made for my 1992 VFR. I didn't like the Corbin's and Sargent didn't make a World Sport seat for the 1992, so I bought a used seat off eBay and had them make me a new seat off the old pan. It wasn't cheap, but it was no worse than a new Corbin. Give them a call and tell them what you want and they'll work with you to make the right seat.

I've felt the benefit of a taller seat and that is the extra leg room, no constantly stretching the legs out forward of the bike. These seats are expensive and neither to my satisfaction is worth buying as is, so I run a modified stock seat.

If the sargeasnt was a taller seat, I'd be apt to go that direction, its softer foam, more rain proof cover and non slip.

By far Sargent is a superior company hands down and actually has customer service of which Corbin has got to be one of the WORST customer service companies in the world!

The reality is that our butts are built and made differently and one of these aftermarket seats will be far better for you than the other over the long haul because of these differences.

I Always recommend that everyone try each seat if possible before buying one! There are many members here that would have no problem swapping seats with you for a little test ride while riding along with you, try both if possible and buy the best butt fitter you can find! :unsure:

The POS Corbin might be the one for you! It's Sargent for me though. :wheel:

• Member Contributer

Good question. Everyone seems to own one or the other. Also important is whether the Corbin was customized to fit the rider's body/seating position (Corbin will customize the seat to fit you when you order it. A seat made to fit someone else could result in skewed results.

For what its worth, I only own a Corbin (mostly for the backrest) but I like the look of the Sargent better.

• Member Contributer

Sargent for sure, over 20,000km. Likely the best mod I did; you won't know how good it is unless you try...

Stock comment: when I said the new seat was softer and wider, the office gals said it should fit!) Good finish, too, and I sold it later to another member here for a decent price.

No idea about Corbin, though I waited over 8 months for bags, then got grief when I cancelled.

• Member Contributer

Can't say enough good things about my Sargent seat and their customer service! Both are top-notch in my opinion... :wheel:

• Member Contributer

I've got the OEM, a Corbin with back rest for the pillion, and a Sargent. I have very few miles on the first two, but a ton of miles on the Sargent, so I can't give a fair comparison. All I know is that the Sargent is a great seat.

I asked Corbin to do a custom seat for the wife's VTR250 and they wanted bike, rider and seat in their factory in Hollister, CA.

No other way would they do it. Fugheddaboudit.

Not really an option for us, living in Alberta.

Asked Sargent the same thing, NO PROBLEM, send us the stock seat, tell us what you want.

When the seat arrived, I had drawings to go with it, and a request for them to phone before working on it.

They phoned, looked at the drawings, explained the options, I told them what we needed (a lower seat for a short rider) and they did an absolutely fabulous job. Better than OEM.

:wheel: :goofy: :fing02:

I also have a Sargent on my Viffer and it rocks. :wheel:

• Member Contributer

.....................either one is an improvement over stock. Both will make your ass smile. :wheel:

Archived