V4 Chopper

Guest knucklehead

Question

Guest knucklehead

Hey guys,

Ive been wanting to build a chopper for quite some time now, (dont worry im still keeping the VFR) but i thought a good way to set it apart would be to use a V4 Powerplant, so i need to know if any years were air cooled, (purley for simplicity) and anything i should watch out for in this particular application of the VFR powerplant? the parts i would be using is the motor and wiring. thanks in advance.

• Member Contributer

They were all liquid cooled. I don't think an an air-cooled V4 would be a good idea, they tend to run hot as it is. Plus it's a compact engine with not a lot of surface area to disperse the heat. You'd need a really good oil cooler at the very least.

• Member Contributer

Check this out, a VF1000f. He used something other than a radiator...transmission coolers, can't say how it would be in traffic. Google Vf1000 chopper.

2007%20easyriders%20show%20sacramento%20chopped%20vfr%20002.preview.jpg

• Member Contributer
Or start with a Yamaha Royal Star (which uses the V-Max powerplant).

That was my first thought. At least for power plant.

• Member Contributer
Check this out, a VF1000f. He used something other than a radiator...transmission coolers, can't say how it would be in traffic. Google Vf1000 chopper.

2007%20easyriders%20show%20sacramento%20chopped%20vfr%20002.preview.jpg

Man, I love that exhaust!

And my GF actually owns a super magna (in Candy Wave Blue). But, I don't think any of the Honda V4's were ever air cooled though. The super gets pretty fricken hot in traffic, can't imagine being stuck on that thing moving 2 miles an hour...

Actually, modern transmission (oil) coolers have come a long way. The one Toro includes in his supercharger kit is a good example.

Actually, modern transmission (oil) coolers have come a long way. The one Toro includes in his supercharger kit is a good example.

Radiator, condesor, oil cooler, they are all the same in principle

Ducati made an air-cooled V4 concept bike in the 60's I believe. They aimed it at police forces, but the tires of the time weren't up to the horsepower and torque it produced. Someone out there has also mated 2 Harley Evo motors into an aircooled v4. I don't have pics of any of this, I fail :blink:

Think hard before you cut. You could end up with an unholy abortion like this. It is so bad, that even though it is flat black, I want to shoot it. With a shotgun. Alot.

• Member Contributer

Think hard before you cut. You could end up with an unholy abortion like this. It is so bad, that even though it is flat black, I want to shoot it. With a shotgun. Alot.

:blink: Wow. Just "wow."

• Member Contributer

What Tha??? :blink: :fing02:

While the overall fit and finish of that piece left something to be desired, I think that bike looked like a neighbor annoying good time :blink:

<edit> O yea, and this

A VF1100 Sabre or Magna motor would be a great start. The machined "fins" on the cylinders would look awesome if you polished it all up.

Of course there is always the VMax as well.

• Member Contributer

I just watch that unholy video and I fell sick :blink:

This is what happens when they stop teaching sex ed in 5th grade motorcycle classes....I think someones Trail50 needs to understand birth control.

• Member Contributer

I like the horn.

And the alarm.

• Member Contributer

"THAT" is "TERRIBLE" Timmy....and, I can usually Like Most Anything in Bikes..... :biggrin: :blink: :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Now THAT is super nice... :blink: ...hate to see the Total Price Tag though.... :biggrin:

Archived