Un-modification

Guest kreinke

Guest kreinke

Although I've been very happy with my VFR (I can categorically say it's THE BEST motorcycle I've owned. Period) The previous owner had a Two Brothers carbon high pipe and power commander installed. I'm all for performance but not so much for noise. I prefer quiet but satisfying deep exhaust.

The Two Brothers pipe was loud. Obnoxiously loud. So loud I could hear it echoing off overpasses on the interstate. No joke.

I found a smoking deal on a perfect condition stock pipe on Ebay and was the only bidder. I got it without a scratch for 41.00. No joke. I then downloaded the proper Power Commander map from their website and downloaded via my laptop.

Performance wise? I can feel it's down a little. The power band had a little bit sharper hit when above 5000. Now it's a more well rounded gradual band. I don't have backfiring when engine braking anymore. My gas mileage also went up by a mile or three as well.

Difference in sound? I think the bike sounds even more badass. Quieter but not raspy and snappy as before. The exhaust note has more bass and when idling pounds on my chest a little. Most importantly, you can completely hear at all speed those magnificent timing gears and induction roar that make VFR's so endearing.

I much prefer the bike with the stock pipe....after all, it's the quiet ones you really need to watch out for.

For a while I thought I was the only one here who actually liked the sound of my stock exhaust! Now I know there are two of us. One more and it could become a movement....... :fing02: :goofy: :ohmy:

For a while I thought I was the only one here who actually liked the sound of my stock exhaust! Now I know there are two of us. One more and it could become a movement....... :fing02: :goofy: :ohmy:

Count me in. I have removed the Remus exhaust that came with the bike and refitted the stock item. Much better sound.

:fing02:

Did you happen to try repacking the 2 Brothers exhaust? As most aftermarket exhausts age from use, their packing material wears away making them louder. You could have tried that for about $20 first...

:cool:

Did you happen to try repacking the 2 Brothers exhaust? As most aftermarket exhausts age from use, their packing material wears away making them louder. You could have tried that for about $20 first...

Am I going to question what one of the world's largest companies with some of the finest engineers utilizing some of the most powerful supercomputers designed for one of the finest streetbikes ever made? I'm just an industrial electrician. I know nothing of combustion and the back arts of back pressures, etc. I'll trus Honda's judgment on this one.

Besides, quiet is better. Doesn't attract every LEO around. :huh:

• Member Contributer

That's why I like the partial gut. Just a bit more sound, but not too much. I'm thinking of only opening up 1 of the 4 rear pipes to keep it from getting too loud.

• Member Contributer

Make it 5! I removed the 2Bros Stash about three months ago, just too darn loud for me. Prefer stock, and I bought wine with the money I got from the exhaust. :huh: Much better deal to me.

ppm

:beer:

Am I going to question what one of the world's largest companies with some of the finest engineers utilizing some of the most powerful supercomputers designed for one of the finest streetbikes ever made? I'm just an industrial electrician. I know nothing of combustion and the back arts of back pressures, etc. I'll trus Honda's judgment on this one.

Besides, quiet is better. Doesn't attract every LEO around. :huh:

Um, yes, you could - depending on what you want from your bike. If you want performance, you ditch the stock exhaust. The engineers with their supercomputers are still bound by EPA noise & emissions regulations. Those dips and surges in your fuel map - guess what they are? They are designed that way to fall into some regulations about the amount of emissions coming from the exhaust at a certain RPM. Don't you think that with their supercomputers they would otherwise design a fuel map that is smooth throughout the entire rpm range?

The muffler is made heavy, so that it will last the life of the bike - per government regulations. The muffler is built with baffle after restrictive baffle for the same reason as above - it has to meet noise regulations for the life of the bike. Most aftermarket exhaust manufacturers implement materials which need to be replaced every 2-4 years(with the exception of Staintune, they use stainless steel wool).

If you like it quiet & don't mind the extra weight, great! You save money on mods! :cool: Just don't go thinking it's the best thing out there if you want your bike to perform at its best.

Most aftermarket exhaust manufacturers implement materials which need to be replaced every 2-4 years(with the exception of Staintune, they use stainless steel wool).

I'm pretty sure my Satantune is about 5 years or so old, and I'm also reasonably sure it's got louder over the last year.

Not too loud - I can't stand that. With no restrictor in, I can put up with it for a few days of rding, or maybe only one long ride. With my cut-down restrictor, it's fine. Louder than stock, but not loud enough to attract negative attention. Possibly too loud for race track noise limits, and probably too loud for the six-monthly WOF test, so I put the quieter restrictor in for that. BTW - the tester checked the engine noise: the cam gears, sundry rattles etc are around 79dBa at ~5k rpm.

• Member Contributer

There's no accounting for taste, they say...

A freshly packed carbon TBR has an exquisite, throaty rumble. They do get harsh when the packing's burned or blown, so periodic re-packing is part of the deal. I have installed "Quiet-tip" baffles in some of my TBRs, which do quiet them somewhat without ruining the sound.

If you actually prefer the "sound" of OEM, perhaps you are going deaf? :happy:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
If you actually prefer the "sound" of OEM, perhaps you are going deaf? :happy:

Or is it vice versa?

Maybe not deaf so much as old.... JUST KIDDING!

• Member Contributer
For a while I thought I was the only one here who actually liked the sound of my stock exhaust! Now I know there are two of us. One more and it could become a movement....... :goofy: :cool: :blush:

I believe the movement is called the AARP. :happy:

• Member Contributer
So loud I could hear it echoing off overpasses on the interstate.

That's the best part! :happy:

• 3 months later...

Make it 5!

Call me Number Six!

Just look at that beautiful OEM muffler.....

RobVisit002.jpg

And a second view, for those of you who don't know what a stock muffler looks like. :fing02:

RobVisit003.jpg

I've ditched my 7 lb, banshee-wailing Erion and went with the big, fat 12 lb stocker. Sounds soooo nice, in it's own quiet way. I love to be able to whack the gas without drawing attention from every cherrytop in the area. I haven't reworked the PC yet and I'm sure power will be down due to all that quiet flow restriction, but it still power wheelies with no problem....quietly. And the VFR sees a lot of two-up riding, so toning it down is a good idea for that, too.

That Erion that I disassembled and hard-packed with glass and SS wool a few years ago sure does sound sweet, I'll admit. When executing a pass around some Harleys or a few cars on the Cherohala Skyway and the engine is pulling hard at 11K....wow! But at some point a man has to know his limitations....has to realize that his love of internal combustion sound ends at other people's ears and sensitivities. After all, I hate Harley's poor, smelly blatt-blatt-blatt, so it's easy to assume that others might really hate the earsplitting shriek from my VFR during wide open throttle shifting.

And if I need an exhaust noise fix, I'll take the RC out for a ride and listen to rumble-roar of those twin high-mount Jardines! :unsure:

Most aftermarket exhaust manufacturers implement materials which need to be replaced every 2-4 years(with the exception of Staintune, they use stainless steel wool).

I'm pretty sure my Satantune is about 5 years or so old, and I'm also reasonably sure it's got louder over the last year.

Not too loud - I can't stand that. With no restrictor in, I can put up with it for a few days of rding, or maybe only one long ride. With my cut-down restrictor, it's fine. Louder than stock, but not loud enough to attract negative attention. Possibly too loud for race track noise limits, and probably too loud for the six-monthly WOF test, so I put the quieter restrictor in for that. BTW - the tester checked the engine noise: the cam gears, sundry rattles etc are around 79dBa at ~5k rpm.

It's probably sooted up good. Try removing it and rinsing it with mineral spirits next winter. Clean'er out and you can use the leftovers to rub the tar off the outside of the can too; just wear gloves when you do it. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Make it 5!

Call me Number Six!

just waiting for it to come around again on the guitar...

"you can get

anything you want

at Alice's Restaurant..."

"you can get

anything you want

Yep!

"......Just log-in and say "Miguel, you can get anything you want, at Alice's restaurant.". And walk out. You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and they won't take him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both faggots and they won't take either of them.

And three people do it. Three. Can you imagine, three people walking in singin' a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out? They may think it's an organization. And can you....can you imagine fifty people a day...I said fifty people a day walking in, singin' a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out? Friends, they may thinks it's a movement.

And that's what it is....the Alice's Restaurant Anti-Eardrum-Massacre Movement, and all you got to do to join is sing it the next time it come's around on the guitar....."

With apologies to Arlo Guthrie!

• Member Contributer

I was impressed with the heft and weight of the stock exhaust. I think it was designed to be the last surviving part of the VFR.

I'll admit I'm partial to quieter aftermarket exhaust for the most part.

To repack the 2 Bros you'd have to drill out pop rivits and then have a rivit tool to re install. You can also purchase a street baffle if the can you have has a race only type in it. For an extra measure of quiet I know Jardine and maybe 2 Bros sells an add on baffle that fits into the exhaust tip that makes the pipe quieter as well.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the stock exhaust. Like I said its about indestructable. I think overly loud exhaust are nothing but obnoxious adding maybe a single pony to a part of the powerband you have no business using on the street.

• Member Contributer

"you can get

anything you want

Yep!

"......Just log-in and say "Miguel, you can get anything you want, at Alice's restaurant.". And walk out. You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and they won't take him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both faggots and they won't take either of them.

And three people do it. Three. Can you imagine, three people walking in singin' a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out? They may think it's an organization. And can you....can you imagine fifty people a day...I said fifty people a day walking in, singin' a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out? Friends, they may thinks it's a movement.

And that's what it is....the Alice's Restaurant Anti-Eardrum-Massacre Movement, and all you got to do to join is sing it the next time it come's around on the guitar....."

With apologies to Arlo Guthrie!

That just made my day :unsure:

Occasionally I'll quote Alice's Restaurant in conversation but people just stare at me like I was dropped on my head as a child.

Make it 5! I removed the 2Bros Stash about three months ago, just too darn loud for me. Prefer stock, and I bought wine with the money I got from the exhaust. :goofy: Much better deal to me.

ppm

I have the Stash on mine and love the sound. It's not terribly loud. Believe me, I know terribly loud having owned a CBR with a D&D pipe on it. I even had a Harley guy compliment me on the sound of my VFR . . . :huh:

OK, maybe it is too loud. :unsure:

You don't need approval from the board. I've heard (barely :fing02: ) the stock exhaust and it barely sounds like it's running. I've also followed a gutted exhaust around for, oh, 1000 miles or so, and like the sound. The point is, it's your bike and you mod it the way you like it. If you like the stock exhaust good for you man! :goofy:

I've often removed other peoples' mods to make my bike just right for me. Nothing wrong with it.

But Seb's suggestion to repack wasn't that far off the wall. You could try that too.

I ran the stock exhaust for about 10 years,

then put on a Jardine pipe I got from VFR Capt Bob. :unsure:

Looks a lot better than the scuffed up old stock pipe.

It's a little louder, but not South Park Harley loud.

Brumrrumrumrum. :fing02:

Noticeably lighter when you hold 1 can in each hand.

But I couldn't tell any difference in weight while riding.

Underpasses and tunnels are for revving! Brumrrumrumrum. :goofy:

• 2 weeks later...

My recently acquired 5th gen has a TBR pipe on it and I'd like something quieter also.

Are the stock pipes the quietest? I am planning on riding to work pretty early in the morning on quiet streets, so the quieter the better as far as I am concerned.

• Member Contributer

Wish I needed an aftermarket pipe!!! :biggrin: I can see the classifieds being loaded up with a lot of used pipes for sale. :fing02:

Archived