Tell Us Your Favorite Modifications.

johnmark101

Question

• Member Contributer

Cost aside, what is the one mod you have done to your VFR that you like the best.

Which one give the most "bang for the buck.

My number one mod is the suspension upgrades, but they were also the most expensive.

Bang for the buck is probably is the 45 tooth rear sprocket, although the Sargent seat runs a close second.

• Answers 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Member Contributer

Best bang for the buck? That would be Sally Sue Sassano, but that was many years ago.

There are a number of mods I just love, Larry's foot peg lowering blocks, Heli Bars, Gerbings, Pilot Roads IIs, Pro-Oiler, GPS, along with a few more; but, if $ is considered, the top four are, NEP throttle lock, "Dual Star" heated grip kit, Pro Gel grips and PAIR valve block with $3.00 O2 sensor by-pass.

• Member Contributer
Best bang for the buck? That would be Sally Sue Sassano, but that was many years ago.

Funny, I had one like that too, and I had to dump her when the ratio bang/$$ became too low. :rolleyes: :goofy:

ppm

1) Rivcycko Bug Buster

2) Sargent Seat

3) 06 OEM Windscreen - MUCH nicer than the 02 and performs better than the GIVI touring screen I had.

4) Stebel Air Horn

5) Solo Rack / Fender Elim

6) Battery Tender attached to battery

7) ZUMO 550 and mounting cradle - could'nt ride without it now.

8) 8 Spoke Rear rim - nice looking rim.

** Ohlins Rear now installed - haven't ridden much to see how good it is but I have a feeling it'll be "pretty good"

** Racetech Fork springs - same deal - no time yet to test them out.

WORST MOD so Far:

1) Powerbronze hugger - flimsy P.O.S.

2) Sargent Tank Bag - fell apart - literally the first ride, while not even OUT of my driveway.

3) Blue Sea fuse box - TOO bloody big. It works just fine - its just too big (IMHO).

Definately my Sargent seat.I've just ordered another one for my new ST1300.The stock seat on my ST1300 is almost as bad as the one that came on my VFR.

Sorry, I don't Believe you have a ST1300. It's not in your garage, and I don't see any Pic's.

Bang for the buck: Voltage Regulator from R1, plus computer fan... about $5 and some soldering. No more charging problems.

Favorite mod: Seat... all of my bikes end up getting them. Fork springs next, then shocks, then sprockets, some Oury Grips, bla, bla, bla...

• Member Contributer

1) Buell Ullysses lowered foot pegs - $40

2) wiring my garaage door opener to momentary switches mounted in the fairing - Free (since I had a spare opener that i could gut for the board)

3) mirrors with integrated turn signals & running lights - $55

4) HID Headlight conversion kit - $55

5) Smoke DB windscreen - $87

6) hard wired radar detector - $120 (detector & direct wire kit)

7) hard wired (mounted in waterproof & lockable box) GPS with traffic - $400 / detector - $60 / mount & box

8) Throttlemeister (would be higher, but longest trip so far is 100 miles:-) - $120

9) "eliminate" rear fender - free (due to factory saddlebags)

10) Green light trigger HP - $20

11) New Gel grips - $20

12) "frame sliders / bobbins" - $30

13) Cigarette lighters - $20 (for two along with wiring)

14) LED light kit in fairings & wheel wells to be seen from side at night - $60

15) Ventura Rack & bags - $500 (normal Rack & 2 bags along with sport rack & bag, and grab handle)

16) Bagster Bra & new "Rider" bag - $250

17) Speedo Healer - $115

18) GI Pro DS gear indicator - $150

19) Battery Tender - $20

20) Scala Rider Q2 multiset - $250 (although the ability to hear music / GPS / cell phone, and talk to your riding buddy = Priceless:-)

21) Honda cleaner / Polish - $3 (worth every penny)

22) GOOD quality riding gear & helmets - Cost way too much until I go down, then it will be considered cheap

23) "Freeway Blaster" horn replacement - $15

24) Do your own oil change - $45 for Honda Synthetic motor oil & K&N oil filter

25) Forgot My Cardo Scala Q2 Multiset - $250 Amazon

Just my semi complete list so far

favorite mod - the two phases of suspension work.

Make the bike, so much closer to all that it can be.

Best bank for the buck,

Well as far as a real mod, installing the heated grips.

They made the grips more comfortable for my battered old hands and keep them warm.

Heck on a mild day they can even dry out the gloves getting them damp.

As for a purely $$$ fix, learning how to install auto H4 bulbs instead of the those fecking Honda H4h's.

more light, easier to source, more choices, reduced cost, all for two tabs and some patience.

Howdy all, I would have to say sprocket as best bang per buck, I had better not say anything about the girl thing although I'd like to. Alot of you have stated that one of your best mods

has been modifying the throttle,with a throttle lock or throttle meister or some other throttle mod. Exactly what do these things do? eddie

Howdy all, I would have to say sprocket as best bang per buck, I had better not say anything about the girl thing although I'd like to. Alot of you have stated that one of your best mods

has been modifying the throttle,with a throttle lock or throttle meister or some other throttle mod. Exactly what do these things do? eddie

They're all for relieveing your hands of having to hold the throttle open for hours at a time.

One can allow you to hold the throttle open with the palm of your hand, instead of your fingers griping it.

The other can allow you to take your hand completely off the throttle without the rpm's dropping, so you can scratch your right leg.

Each one only cost a few bucks. (10 / 20).

Yeah, best bang = Crampbuster for $10. Favorite mod = Staintunes just to hear & feel the temple of V-TEC on transition. :laugh:

4) Stebel Air Horn

where may I ask did you hide the Stebel. Is it the dual horn and compressor in one unit. Have one from my silver wing which fit behind the headlightin the rats nest. No such room on my 07

thanks

• Member Contributer

Had my 5G for less than a year so far... Only a handful of mods to speak of. Love the 2BR slip-on for makin' the VFR sound "proper;" but as far as improved riding experience: 1. Corbin saddle that I got for dirt cheap has made all the difference in the world. 2. A cheapy 'crampbuster' has been awesome for long slab-hauls. 3. Hard-wire set up for the GPS.

Thinking the next mods will be: Helibars; passenger backrest; hardbags; and some proper graphics (or I'll just say to hell with it and paint her flat black).

Best Mod for Twisty performance- 1/dn front sprocket, cheap and made the bike come alive for me! :biggrin:

Best handling mod is not really a mod- TIRES, Pilot Powers completely transform the piggy feeling of a stock shod VFR in the twisties!

Comfort mod- Heated Gear, best of these were heated grips 1st(there always there no matter what gloves you have or what weather you get caught in) then Gerbing Jacket liner then Sargent seat, because if I'm warm I can put up with a lot more! :beer:

Best high end mod- Good suspension! :fing02:

BR

Cheap mods (<$20):

Cramp buster

Throttle Lock

Headlight mod (4 high beams, instead of 2 high, 2 low)

Garage Door Opener

Favorite mods (>$20):

Datel meter

GPS

Custom Lowered pegs, made for the VFR

Heated Grips

Heated Gear

Sargent Seat

Pro-Oiler

Radars Sliders

Powerlet outlet

Fuse Panel

Other Mods:

JC Whitney trunk mounted over back seat on custom mount

Heli-bars (not tested at length to be a favorite)

Bar Risers (liked em, but swapped for Heli-Bars)

• Member Contributer

4) Stebel Air Horn

where may I ask did you hide the Stebel. Is it the dual horn and compressor in one unit. Have one from my silver wing which fit behind the headlightin the rats nest. No such room on my 07

thanks

I used the bracket from my original horn and crammed it right back where it was. I will try to post a pic soon, I think that there is one on here somewhere. You can also find a Stebel clone at the local Walmart type store, they're even made in Italy too. We have them here at 'Meijers' which is just like a Walmart. I do recommend supporting your local bike shop though as long as the price is the same (it is) The big boys can handle the recession better than the little bike shops.

The only new addition that I can make to this thread is my powerlet plug. I have it wired directly to the battery so that I can just plug my trickle charger in on the fly. It's fused so that no one can stick foil in it when I'm not around without causing too much damage.

Archived