Tell Us Your Favorite Modifications.

johnmark101

Question

• Member Contributer

Cost aside, what is the one mod you have done to your VFR that you like the best.

Which one give the most "bang for the buck.

My number one mod is the suspension upgrades, but they were also the most expensive.

Bang for the buck is probably is the 45 tooth rear sprocket, although the Sargent seat runs a close second.

• Answers 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Member Contributer

Does replacing your 04 non abs stock rear shock with 89,000 miles with an 02 (abs) with 14,000 miles for $50 count?? :fing02:

gallery_14545_4471_1472542.jpg

IMG_1615.JPG

gallery_14545_4471_722852.jpg

IMG_1623.JPG

gallery_14545_4471_599896.jpg

IMG_1622.JPG

Does replacing your 04 non abs stock rear shock with 89,000 miles with an 02 (abs) with 14,000 miles for $50 count?? :fing02:

IMG_1623.JPG

gallery_14545_4471_599896.jpg

IMG_1622.JPG

yes, except you installed the adjuster on the wrong side...

• Member Contributer

Can't say these are cheap or best bang for the buck:

1. Penske 8981 shock, from Lindemann

2. Front end re-valving and springs, by Lindemann

3. Remus Titanium slip-on (not to loud, just right)

4. PC2

5. K&N filter

• Member Contributer

Excellent post - so many of you mentioned 'cramp busters' - so I cx'd them out on ebay and ordered one immediately.

• Member Contributer

My bike, besides tires, ST1300 tank protector, tankslappers on tank sides is pretty much stock. I can make it do what I want it to do and it almost never rolls on straight line roads. I don't mod. much. If I can't make it do what I want it to do, I buy what will do what I want it to do as far as vehicles. That excludes the Mustang GT in the garage that will one day become a monster when it gets older. :lurk:

Best mod. I've made is gasoline. I've scouted out places where I usually ride and don't use ethanol but very seldom now. I ride in NC and N. Ga. from here on gasoline going, and while there. It's night and day difference over political corn juice additives. :fing02: :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Does replacing your 04 non abs stock rear shock with 89,000 miles with an 02 (abs) with 14,000 miles for $50 count?? :goofy:

IMG_1623.JPG

yes, except you installed the adjuster on the wrong side...

Ha ha, yes but on purpose! :blush: I don't ever have my passenger pegs on so, nothing on the right side to attach it too and the exhaust was in the way...it fit nicely on the left....and can be adjusted on the fly! (not that I really ever do)

Stainless steel brake lines for my 4th Gen, front and back with sintered pads. At $160, the best mod around!

A throttle lock looks interesting tho...

• Member Contributer

+1 for tires, 180 bucks for Pilot powers over the stock Metzler's is a phenomenal difference. Not to mention that wonderful 10 dollar piece of plastic know as cramp buster.

• Member Contributer

Inner fairing neon lighting, elongated the swing arm and slammed the suspension ostrich skin seat cover. Chicks at bike night think I'm awesome. Yeah I'm kidding.

Honestly, the best money I've spent is on good boots, leathers, helmet and gloves. Once that is squared away I'd go at the suspension. Race Tech forks and rear shock of your choosing. I went with Elka. Also for a cheap bang for the buck, universal fit grip warmers and new grips. Is nice I like. If you get a slip on get a durable quiet one. I went with Staintune w/spud installed. Sounds great but not annoying.

My bike came with Staintunes & stock cans. Sold the Staintunes for $700, bought $15 in cutting discs and did the semi-gut on the stock cans. The end result being similar tone & decibel level. Also bike came with mirror extenders, and having tried it both with and without, it makes a huge difference with them on.

Currently in the process of fitting Dzus clips to the bike fairings. The goal is to remove the plastics in less than 2 minutes to do maintenance.

Currently in the process of fitting Dzus clips to the bike fairings. The goal is to remove the plastics in less than 2 minutes to do maintenance.

I would love see pictures of the Dzus conversion when it's complete! And to hear how difficult it was to make the changeover...

• Member Contributer

Best bang for the buck: Scottoiler touring model....no worries about the chain, and clean too, once its set correctly.

Honorable mention: MRA Vario Touring windscreen...with Stealth Edging added, works great.

Worst bang for the buck: Crampbuster...it did nothing its name implies. I thought it was a huge PITA...I gave it away and the person I gave it to, in turn, gave it away. Then I got a throttlemiester and everything is good.

Also gotta give a thunbs up to Metzler for the Z6...love em. Now on my third set...the Dunlop D204's my VFR came stock with however, were complete S&6%!

• Member Contributer

Love the Dzus mod idea!

Probably my favorite overall is Dual Stars heated grips, very cheap at $35 and they get a lot of use

I have the ABS shock on my non-ABS 04 as well, that is a great mod, it only cost me $75. I had mine replaced under warranty and just paid the dealership the difference in price to stick the ABS shock on...

Love my PC3 and Erion pipes but they were pretty damn expensive.

sorry to say... my 02 VFR never had any mods to it. i loved it just the way it was. sure, it could use some more power, but that is something i could never afford. i put 20k on it (in 2.25 years) before i sold it. dam i miss that bike. i had no electrical problems and just had normal maintenance down to it. got 11k miles out of d220's and then put Avons on. they still looked dang good when i sold it. i can NOT wait to get the VFR and start the farkling.

I need to measure up for dzus clips without the d-rings for the left and right fairing mount points. This is b/c the holes are recessed and the d-ring will not fit in the recess, nor is the fastening portion of the clip screw long enough.

So far, i have the done 2 of the 3 on the top side of the fairings, left and right, and the 2 on the underside. I need to go back in and do a little more shaving of the plastic to get the fitment better.

post-16912-042767400 1276728698_thumb.jp

post-16912-057997400 1276728717_thumb.jp

post-16912-064879300 1276728728_thumb.jp

My favorite mod is also the suspension work - springs in front and matching Ohlins shock out back.

Best bang for the buck has to be the NEP throttle lock - $15, 5min to install, no fiddling needed, it just works - and works well.

:goofy: on the NEP throttle lock

For me it would be the 929 shock for $30 (the swingarm was free!), the ZG touring windscreen $80, and the 'VFRness'-type electrical enhancements done with parts I already had. Priceless!

Throttle lock (gift of a friend) added about extra miles a day to my riding stamina on a recent Europe trip. Friend bought the wrong size and he was going to throw it in the bin next town, ask if i could try it, perfect fit and the rest is history.

Then, suspension F&R and braided brake lines on galfer wavy discs. PC 3 all tied for second.

I'd say heated grips (Honda OEM) followed closely by the full luggage kit (OEM).

Warm hands and places to store lots of stuff on trips is the best thing I've spent money on for this bike.

Archived