Michelin Road 2

motogpfan

• Member Contributer
on the cost analysis, everyone forgets one other part....the tire change cost per mile. $20-50/change can increase the cost per mile significantly to the favor of the pr2..i buy pr2 anytime i cant get the $200/pair diablo specials.

Good point TC.Locally I would pay $35 per tire for a change + tax and the price of the tire from the shop (about a $100 more per set than buying online).

Cured that by buying a Harbor Freight ,Mojo Blocks,and NoMar bar,about $200 all together,already paid for itself .

Weird thing as I was doing a brake check/ chain service yesterday it seems like my center tread on the rear is wearing faster than I would have hoped.About 1500 mostly back roads ,twisty stuff.Check pressures before every ride,ride at about 75-80% pace.Hmm,my guess is I'd get another 1500 out of it,thought I would get more than 3k total,..

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake with buying the Rossos over the PR2s. Can't go wrong with $200 a set, and I've read people getting 6k out of em. I'll probably get them for the 5th gen. Just a little iffy on getting sticky tires with all the commuting I usually do.

No I don't think so, Pirelli's were my fav tire before the PP, in fact I preferred the Diablo slightly over the PP but the Diablo just wore out to fast. :blush:

I would try the Rossos for $200 a set for sure, I'm sure they are an excellent tire! :fing02:

• Member Contributer
I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake with buying the Rossos over the PR2s. Can't go wrong with $200 a set, and I've read people getting 6k out of em. I'll probably get them for the 5th gen. Just a little iffy on getting sticky tires with all the commuting I usually do.

No I don't think so, Pirelli's were my fav tire before the PP, in fact I preferred the Diablo slightly over the PP but the Diablo just wore out to fast. :blush:

I would try the Rossos for $200 a set for sure, I'm sure they are an excellent tire! :fing02:

+1. Kevin (KWR29485739453745) ran some of these for a while and said they were a good tire, and $200 a set is a great price.

Related note, I was getting my rear Road2 to spin up pretty consistently on the tighter sections on 28 between Franklin and the 4 lane part yesterday running 42psi cold. I stopped to check them out and they were not overheated, as I was suspecting. I lowered the pressure from a hot 46psi to 41psi and had no issue after that.

I got 4500m on my rear stock dunlop's(wear marker center)....... now I'm running pilot roads (same roads, etc.) and have 3500m on these tyres ( hasn't even started flatening out in the centre much,yet).... I've been running PR's for years on different bikes and usaully get in the 8000m mark..... I've got a new set of PR2's waitting to be used next..... I got them because of all the positive comments from you guy's...... So far I'm just glad to see that I'll get a lot better milage with my PR'S than the stock tyre.........

• Member Contributer
Related note, I was getting my rear Road2 to spin up pretty consistently on the tighter sections on 28 between Franklin and the 4 lane part yesterday running 42psi cold. I stopped to check them out and they were not overheated, as I was suspecting. I lowered the pressure from a hot 46psi to 41psi and had no issue after that.

Why were you running twisties at 42 psi? I've found the Pilot Road 2's to be a great tire, but a little sensitive to heat and overpressurization, but any tire wouldn't have as much grip above 40 psi.

I got 4500m on my rear stock dunlop's(wear marker center)....... now I'm running pilot roads (same roads, etc.) and have 3500m on these tyres ( hasn't even started flatening out in the centre much,yet).... I've been running PR's for years on different bikes and usaully get in the 8000m mark..... I've got a new set of PR2's waitting to be used next..... I got them because of all the positive comments from you guy's...... So far I'm just glad to see that I'll get a lot better milage with my PR'S than the stock tyre.........

The original Pilot Road is one of the biggest POS tires I've ever run(for my style of riding) and resemble the new Pilot Road 2 in absolutely zero ways other than the "Road" in the name. The Road 2 is a vastly better tire in every possible aspect and I would Never even consider them in the same category of tire!

Expect better grip, handling, mileage and confidence! :fing02:

btw Jeremy = :squid:

:blush:

• Member Contributer

Why were you running twisties at 42 psi? I've found the Pilot Road 2's to be a great tire, but a little sensitive to heat and overpressurization, but any tire wouldn't have as much grip above 40 psi.

Never had a problem with the regular Powers at that pressure and conditions, they always heated up enough to leave black marks through every turn. Seems the Road2s need a little less pressure to get up to ideal temperature. Just trying to conserve my tread life $$$.

Do you guys running the PR2's have any issues with cupping on the front tire? The design of the tread looks like it would be very susceptable to cupping.

The original Pilot Road is one of the biggest POS tires I've ever run(for my style of riding) and resemble the new Pilot Road 2 in absolutely zero ways other than the "Road" in the name. The Road 2 is a vastly better tire in every possible aspect and I would Never even consider them in the same category of tire!

Expect better grip, handling, mileage and confidence! :fing02:

btw Jeremy = :squid:

:blush:

Well..... As I mentioned, I've got the PR2's waiting for when I wear out my PR's..... And you're "one" of the reasons I desided to give the 2's a try......... Thx wink.gif

• Member Contributer
Well..... As I mentioned, I've got the PR2's waiting for when I wear out my PR's..... And you're "one" of the reasons I desided to give the 2's a try......... Thx wink.gif

When you get them installed you will think someone replaced your bike with a 600cc super sport. If I had brand new Roads on my bike I would trash them and get some new rubber, the difference really is worth it.

• Member Contributer

Well I get the tire from Dennis kirk and SOB it's made in Thailand.I call customer service and they are trying to find one made in spain or france.Dam I'm so pissed I do not want a third world tire on the back of MY bike period!!!!Looks like PP will go on if they can not find one. :comp13:

• Member Contributer

Might drive down to Greenville SC and throw that POS right into corporate headquarters.

• Member Contributer

There all in Thailand from Dennis Kirk it goes back first thing AM.I'll run up the road a buy a PP for $134That's it for PPR2's

Do you guys running the PR2's have any issues with cupping on the front tire? The design of the tread looks like it would be very susceptable to cupping.

No! :comp13:

There all in Thailand from Dennis Kirk it goes back first thing AM.I'll run up the road a buy a PP for $134That's it for PPR2's

Did you even try riding on them? :comp13:

I don't give a damn if they come from Mars, because they are the best tires I ever put on my VFR so far!

I don't think that because it came from Thailand it's automatically bad. :angry:

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

I don't give a damn if they come from Mars, because they are the best tires I ever put on my VFR so far!

I don't think that because it came from Thailand it's automatically bad. :angry:

Beck

95 VFR

There is a difference the manufacturing process in Thailand is not as good,on charlotte sports bike forum the dirt trackers have had several issues with that country's tires i.e. short tread life so way the heck would I pay 172 when I could get a PP for 134.That may I fact last as long considering the point of process.

Besides if michelin wants to go to third world countries that there right but since I'd be buying a sub par tire might just as well get a Sinko tire a pay a lot less.

Beck

95 VFR

There is a difference the manufacturing process in Thailand is not as good,on charlotte sports bike forum the dirt trackers have had several issues with that country's tires i.e. short tread life so way the heck would I pay 172 when I could get a PP for 134.That may I fact last as long considering the point of process.

Besides if michelin wants to go to third world countries that there right but since I'd be buying a sub par tire might just as well get a Sinko tire a pay a lot less.

Point taken, it would be interesting to find out if anyone does have problems with the Thai made tires, I guess you could not be blamed for your releuctance with them if you did hear of some problems with other Michelin tires from there. You'd think that Michelin would be more careful about world-wide production QC, specially on these expensive tires though.

BTW, I do remember that mine came from Spain as Timmy's did, so I cannot really give an accurate opinion on this, I guess.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Beck

95 VFR

Point taken, it would be interesting to find out if anyone does have problems with the Thai made tires, I guess you could not be blamed for your releuctance with them if you did hear of some problems with other Michelin tires from there. You'd think that Michelin would be more careful about world-wide production QC, specially on these expensive tires though.

BTW, I do remember that mine came from Spain as Timmy's did, so I cannot really give an accurate opinion on this, I guess.

Beck

95 VFR

That's really my point I DO NOT want to be the test pilot @ 172

Well I get the tire from Dennis kirk and SOB it's made in Thailand.I call customer service and they are trying to find one made in spain or france.Dam I'm so pissed I do not want a third world tire on the back of MY bike period!!!!Looks like PP will go on if they can not find one. :laugh:

Pilotroad 2 copies?

Pete's Superbike...rear tires...145USD for PR2, 115USD for Bridgestone BT021, 142USD for Roadsmarts.

For +11$ PR2's are probably worth it...

Just picked up a set...Spanish ones... :laugh:

BI

• Member Contributer

Pete's Superbike...rear tires...145USD for PR2, 115USD for Bridgestone BT021, 142USD for Roadsmarts.

For +11$ PR2's are probably worth it...

Just picked up a set...Spanish ones... :goofy:

BI

Sent them back,and called the motorcycle superstore they are the same price $172.They also stated they are made in Spain or France.

• Member Contributer

I'm over 8,000 on my PR2's, with most of that in the twisties. I'm probably looking at getting at least another 2-3K out of them before I hit the wear bars. That's all riding hard right to the edge all the time on them. I've been nothing but pleased. My friend just went through 2 sets of PP's on his ZX10R while I'm still on this set of PR's, and we ride at the same pace. That little direction arrow on the outside of the tire didn't last long though LOL.

I'm over 8,000 on my PR2's, with most of that in the twisties. I'm probably looking at getting at least another 2-3K out of them before I hit the wear bars. That's all riding hard right to the edge all the time on them. I've been nothing but pleased. My friend just went through 2 sets of PP's on his ZX10R while I'm still on this set of PR's, and we ride at the same pace. That little direction arrow on the outside of the tire didn't last long though LOL.

That zixxer will probably go through ANY 2 tires before you go through 1! :goofy:

Archived