Pitching A Tent - Best / Smallest Tent For Bike Camping

didit

Guest GoBigRed
I have had good luck with cheap tents, was in one during an amazingly bad storm camping at cape hatteras, NC (near kitty hawk). If you lose it off the back of your bike is less to cry about. The most important thing is to trial run your gear and bike, go on a weekend trip with rain in the forecast..see what works and what does not work...coleman/eureka are good basic tents, a little heavier, bigger than northface or mt hardware/pricier brands...you are not backpacking so save the money. TRIAL RUN before big trip is best advice I could give you. My cheap $40 tent (yes I have some better ones) has passed 5 rainy nights on kayak trips and another 5 rainy nights on bike trips, all dry and good. Doug

First of all, there is no body cheaper than me. Second, I have only one moto-camping trip under my belt, but I have several hunting trips on the Kenai and interior of AK to my name. That being said, I'll rely on that experience to make my claims.

Bears, moose or caribou, I use a cheap, 30 dollar Fred Meyer, one to two person junior tent. It only 5 x 6, but I sleep side ways and put my gear in the corners. To ensure it stays dry, I get a fresh can of camp-dry before each trip and call it good. Weight is critical because I have to pack in light, because I usually pack out heavy (lots-o-meat).

I will say this, I did invest in a nice sleeping bag (Eureka, compact mummy bag, 70 bucks at Cabelas) and self inflating light weight pad. Everything I need fits into a Kelty internal frame back pack (in MossyOak Break-up pattern of course).

So, I can honestly say you can make this as expensive or cheap as possible and do fine. Worst case scenario and the wether looks bad for your cheap tent, stay in a cheap hotel for one night. You'll still save cash when you drive out of town, get into a dryer area and stay at a State or FOrest Service camp ground (10 to 20 dollars).

Just my two cents. I am clearly not an expert or guide, but I make it work up there. I think you will be okay with the little cheapy from Wal-mart, but just remember, that gear will never impress your friends.

By the way, did anyone see Griffey hit the game tying two run blast in the 8th inning of last nights game? It was awesome!!! I know, the Mariners still blow and the kid is almost 40, but having him there is still like a fairy tale. It will only last for a few more months, but we'll take it.

+ 1 on eureka tents, is a mid-priced but great performer

tell me black 06 from quebec how you like your yellow eureka w/the vestibles?

model ? and rate it on a scale of 1-10 please. This is a goodie I think.

I carry a bivy like HS only in a quick ride, its my emergency tent..its a eureka, its never been out of the box, its my sleep in a ditch, sos tent. I am not clousterphobic (or a good speller) but IMO a bivy is great when you need it, but I like room for my gear and changing into my pjs, so a 2 man tent is the smallest for me, this vestible idea I must check out...remember this is your hotel room you spent a hard earned $13 per night for. Bike camping is way different than cager or backpacking, kayak camping, I do all types of camping so lots of gear to adjust for vehicle I decide to take, my F-150 is like a room at the Hilton to me.

BTW, after a poll was taken most of VFRD likes hotel stays, not the ADVrider group, I like a hotel on weekends or 3 days out.

Going to the summitt meet, camping on the way, Indpls to CO , then some, anyone doing that trip? doug

Looking through the Eureka website, this looks to be the closest to the model that I have, which I bought 2 years ago, cuz the the cheap-ass Walmart (20$) version leaked like a sieve the first night it rained (was in Nova Scotia at the time). Word to the wise, DON'T buy cheap stuff because you end up with...well...cheap stuff :huh: I think I paid 160CAN$ for it...actually 180$ once I add in the Walmart crapper. Don't regret it.

http://www.eurekatentscanada.com/products/...e=1∏=25

Apex 2XTC Plus, 2 person tent.

On a scale of 1-10, I would rate it a 9...why not 10 you ask? ...nothing is a 10...but that's just me.... :cool:smile.gif

BI

• Member Contributer

I just got a MSR Hubba Hubba, it's fantastic.

A Backpacker Editors' Choice Award winner, the Hubba Hubba tent is our best-selling 2-person freestanding tent. What makes it so popular? How about its four pound (1.8 kg) weight, with more than enough room for two? Or maybe it’s the freestanding, easy-pitch hub and pole system that sets up in a flash and is strong enough to handle the unpredictability of summer alpine conditions? Add 3 setup options, 2 full-size doors and vestibules, strong aluminum poles and factory-taped seams, and you’ll begin to understand why the Hubba Hubba tent remains the best selling Fast & Light® tent in the world.

* Livable: Unique pole configuration provides maximum interior space, two doors, and two large vestibules for gear storage.

* Lightweight: Minimum weight is just 4 lbs 3 oz (1890g)—about 2 lbs. (.9 kg) per person.

* Quick and Easy Setup: All-in-one hub-and-swivel pole design is stronger than ever and still simple to use.

* Versatile: Can be used as a double-wall tent for full protection or in two freestanding tarp-shelter modes when used with optional footprint (sold separately).

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/fast-a...a-hubba/product

Guest Oxygen545

The first camping trip I went on I just packed up my Backpack and strapped it onto my bike w/ a million bungie cords.

IMAG0365.jpg

Here's my tent a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight

IMAG0367.jpg

Guest dendron
By the way, did anyone see Griffey hit the game tying two run blast in the 8th inning of last nights game? It was awesome!!! I know, the Mariners still blow and the kid is almost 40, but having him there is still like a fairy tale. It will only last for a few more months, but we'll take it.

:huh: :biggrin: Thanks for the other wisdom, though.

Looking through the Eureka website, this looks to be the closest to the model that I have, which I bought 2 years ago, cuz the the cheap-ass Walmart (20$) version leaked like a sieve the first night it rained (was in Nova Scotia at the time). Word to the wise, DON'T buy cheap stuff because you end up with...well...cheap stuff :blink: I think I paid 160CAN$ for it...actually 180$ once I add in the Walmart crapper. Don't regret it.

http://www.eurekatentscanada.com/products/...e=1∏=25

Apex 2XTC Plus, 2 person tent.

On a scale of 1-10, I would rate it a 9...why not 10 you ask? ...nothing is a 10...but that's just me.... :biggrin:smile.gif

BI

This is the same tent I bought today. smile.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest LightningSlinger

When it comes to outdoor gear I have always found you get what you pay for. I was going cross country years ago and wanted to find the smallest tent possible. I bought a tent years ago from Whitehorse Press http://www.whitehorsepress.com It was ultra small and awful! It did not ventilate at all I woke up a few hours after dozing off to the tent dripping with dew on the inside! I think it costs $50.00 and was the worst $50.00 I ever spent.

I opted for a North Face Arches after that! Best tent I have ever owned. I liked it so much I bought a second one and put it away. I figured I was using the first one so much I would wear it out. Well that was 15 years ago. The tent is the perfect 3 season tent, extremely dry even in a tremendous downpour or windy thunderstorm. I will not go on but I love it. The tent rolls up and easily stows on the gear rack I built for my 95' VFR. If anyone is interested I am looking to sell my spare North Face Arches tent, here are the specs:

Scaled down so you can use it for fast and light backpacking, biking or kayaking. Fits one person with lots of gear inside, or two people snugly. Only three stakes are required to pitch this two pole hoop tent. Single large front door, front vestibule for gear, rear foot vent and front vents for additional ventilation. 42x94x52". 27 sq.ft. (35 sq.ft. with vestibule). Stuffed size 17x5". 5 lb. 1 oz

Cheers

Edited by LightningSlinger

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I was just thinking earlier today what kind of gear I could get so I can go on camping trips two-up. I don't think my passenger would appreciate me using her back as a luggage rack.

• Member Contributer

Well I know what bike I would take for two up camping.................

But that is not my reason for posting.

I finally had a chance to test my Big Agnes insulated air mattress in the Sierras last month. Much more comfortable than my thermarest. And it packs smaller than anything around. Only downside is puffing it up. My next purchase is a camp chair...can you say Kermit!

My Tadpole tent tucked in the back ..............which makes it look even smaller than it is. I use the same Cortech seatbag (for all the camping gear) as I do on the VFR but more room now as I am using the Big Agnes Pad.

2525169690099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer
I was just thinking earlier today what kind of gear I could get so I can go on camping trips two-up. I don't think my passenger would appreciate me using her back as a luggage rack.

Uhhhh... Never mind.

• Member Contributer
I finally had a chance to test my Big Agnes insulated air mattress in the Sierras last month. Much more comfortable than my thermarest. And it packs smaller than anything around. Only downside is puffing it up. My next purchase is a camp chair...can you say Kermit!

Which model did you get? I wasn't totally happy with my 1.75" Thermarest so I upgraded to the 2" or 2.25", whichever it is, but it is that much more bulky. The Big Agnes pads pack pretty small. Was it as warm as the Thermarest? In the store it just felt like a miniature air mattress so I was worried about comfort and heat transfer, although I've read a lot of good reviews on them.

All the camps I've been to have concrete or wood benches so I just carry one of the REI/Thermarest seat pads which pack down to the size of a can of Red Bull. I took a camp chair on a couple trips and never used it.

• Member Contributer

That's a nice unit. Probably a very safe bet. I've had REI tents for years and years and they hold up great.

FYI, I have the one-man tent that REI makes, also. I bought it thinking that it would be just that much smaller to pack, but in reality it has too little space inside to bring your tankbag, helmet and boots in out of the rain without piling them on top of your sleeping bag.

The Half Dome should be a great compromise between easy-to-pack on the bike and interior space and convenience.

Also, I use a knee-length Thermarest Light that packs incredibly small and still gives a nice cushion for sleeping. Down bags pack super-small, and stuff bags for your clothes are great space-savers, too.

Keith

• Member Contributer

VFRCAPN - I got the 72 inch Insultated air core in 20 inch width Big Agnes. Did not really camp in cold temps this time but that is the purpose of the insulation. The Agnes pad is a nominal 2.5 inch thick but I was much more comfortable than the 2 inch Thermarest pad (72x20 too) I bought last year....which replaced a old thermarest and then a 1.8 inch REI version. If you want a thermarest thicker than 2 inches you really have to go to the wider 26 inch styles which are HUGE. The BA packs in less than half of the room as even the smaller of the THermarests.

• Member Contributer
VFRCAPN - I got the 72 inch Insultated air core in 20 inch width Big Agnes. Did not really camp in cold temps this time but that is the purpose of the insulation. The Agnes pad is a nominal 2.5 inch thick but I was much more comfortable than the 2 inch Thermarest pad (72x20 too) I bought last year....which replaced a old thermarest and then a 1.8 inch REI version. If you want a thermarest thicker than 2 inches you really have to go to the wider 26 inch styles which are HUGE. The BA packs in less than half of the room as even the smaller of the THermarests.

I may give this a try on my next camp trip, I need to stay with the 20" width since I have the BA sleeping bag. It's nice with REI's return policy that you can try something out like this and return it if you're not satisfied. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I may give this a try on my next camp trip, I need to stay with the 20" width since I have the BA sleeping bag. It's nice with REI's return policy that you can try something out like this and return it if you're not satisfied. Thanks!

Yes on the Return policy. They just openned a store about two miles from my house. Candy!!!!!!!

Check out this one too.................. Not sure what it packs but the same idea as the BA ....but with a built in pump thingy. Was not there when I got the BA....but I am happy/set. I actually got a good night's sleep in a backpacker tent which is good for an old man.

Another option - Exped DownMat 7 Air Pad with Pump - Regular

• 8 months later...
Guest weekend_junkie
I have a Eureka Timberline 2 circa 1990ish that works very well for backpacking and riding as it turns out. I also know that the 3 man tents from walmart that look like the kelly or rei brand of medium sized 3 man tents work very well, and are not overly large when setup or packed. One of the guys had to make a replacement purchase for his way to small tent last year.

I'll second Mark5948's recommendation for Eureka tents.

I use a Eureka Backcountry 2 tent (here at CampMor) when I am solo-motorcycle camping. I've had it for several years and am very happy with it.

• It packs down considerably smaller than most other tents I've seen - great for carrying on the bike without taking up much room.
  • Setup is a piece of cake. (Emphasis added. -Ron) I can quickly & easily put this tent up even after a long and tiring day in the saddle.
  • A "two man" tent is typically cozy for two people, but it's great for a solo motorcyclist WITH GEAR.
  • Or, when the wife & I are car camping, it has enough room for two sleeping bags, but not much else.
  • Note that this tent does not appear to be made anymore - it's not listed at Eureka's website anymore.

I also use a Eureka Timberline 4 tent (here) for two-up motorcycle camping trips

• A "four man" tent gives us plenty of room for our sleeping bags AND our riding gear.
  • But, when packed down, it is still 24" long (due to the length of the pole segments).
  • The Timberline 2 is still made & available, so it's smaller - but the pole segments are just as long.

Prior to acquiring both of these tents, we used a several cheaper tents (from Walmart, etc.) with fiberglass poles. After numerous pole failures with each of those tents, we realized that perhaps spending a little bit more for a higher quality tent (the 2 Eureka's listed above, both of which use aluminum poles) would provide more durability. And it has.

With those two endorsements out of the way, there are other tents available - Aerostich lists several, and Chase Harper offers a pole-free tent (for which you can use your bike as a tie-down point).

Good luck, however you decide.

Ron

CampMor all the way. I am an Eagle Scout and have been buying gear from them for 20 years. I lived in a Backcountry 4 for about 2 weeks straight, the Backcountry 2 is excellent choice and only has 3 poles to deal with. No matter what brand you choose, go for a 3 season tent because you won't need the extra poles and steep rain-fly angles that a snow-worthy 4 season tent offers. The TimberLINE 2, 3 or 4 will last for ever but if you want to go REALLY light, look for a TimberLITE 2.

• 8 months later...

steepandcheep.com has had the following: .

Great 1 person tent

- ALPS Mountaineering Mystique 1.0 AL Tent - 1-Person 3-Season for $60..

- Tent and fly weight: 3 pounds 6 ounces

- Total weight: 3 pounds 11 ounces

- Packed size: 6 inches x 16 inches

Great 2 person tent

Mountain Hardwear Viperine 2 Tent 2-Person 3-Season for $130

- 5lb 2oz

- Packed Size 4in. x 19in

• 11 months later...
Guest wagigkpn

Bump.

W A L M A R T

No joke. always. have only ever owned two tents in my life. still own them, still work excellent and both bought for less than 35 bucks. one two person and one four person.

unless your climbing mt rainier, there is really very little reason to spend over 40 bucks.

• Member Contributer

I've searched the sight and found good reviews on the Kelty Grand Mesa 2, but at $200US it's a bit much for my meager plans.

I googled it and it seems you can get it for a bit under $100.00 shipped.

• 1 month later...
Guest kayaktom

Hennessy Hammock... packs small, light weight and much better than sleeping on the ground. Of course you need trees, 4x4 posts, a deck, two cars with roof racks, etc.

www.hennessyhammock.com