Pitching A Tent - Best / Smallest Tent For Bike Camping

didit

so I'm assuing some of these tents actually fit into the factory removable side-saddle hard-bags? that is the key for me since those are where I'd need to stow it...

• Member Contributer

The key stat to figure out if your tent will stuff is the folded pole length. Most web site do not list this number. If you are really interested in a tent go to place like REI and have them set it up for you and then measure the individual pole section lengths. If you really like the tent however you could always stuff the tent in the hardbag and carry the poles elsewhere...but beware some have lost their poles when they separate.

Come on over some day and we can see if my tiny North Face Tadpole will fit. I suspect it will...... the only thing I can not stuff in these days is me!

• Member Contributer

Used a Coleman dome tent for 20 years before hurricane force winds on the Columbia river gorge ripped it up. Now have a Eureka tent that has a outside flap to store wet gear outside. Your main concern is bulk not weight. Nothing sets up quicker

than the Coleman tent. A few pics off a 4 month trips on the RT.post-19304-0-19412100-1334863171.jpgpost-19304-0-41149300-1334863250.jpgpost-19304-0-65322400-1334863329.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

I got this for backpacking but plan on taking it on my next MC trip. Really good quality, just check out all of the reviews. It's a one person tent though so it's pretty small but packs up small too which is nice.

ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 1-Person Tent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BMKD1DU/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_44v2ub0249DEF

• 6 years later...
  • Member Contributer

I have this tent:

Sweden made biker tent is really fast to "build" It's open almost like "umbrella"

I don't know if you guys have dealer for this?

https://www.handelsboden.com/camping/mc-talt-4bikers-original

Packet size: 79x19x19.

Not the smallest but very easy to use and comfy...

MC-Talt-4BIKERS-measures_9109_1624.jpg

• 6 months later...

I scoured thru-hikerrs YouTube videos because they have the same requirements: small, lightweight and effective. The good ones usually make thier best suggestion and also offer lower budget alternatives. I am a cheap ass and scored this for $100. It compared well to tents in the $300-$400 price range so I gave it a shot. It now sells for $75 and even cheaper on Scamazon. After 2 years it has held up real well. The only knock it had in reviews is a suggestion to seal the seams which I haven't gotten around to yet. I spent a night in a downpour with no leaks. It even cones with hi-vis lines and sturdy aluminum stakes.

https://rakaiadesigns.com/pages/2-person-backpacking-tent

Screenshot_20220127-064212_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220127-064111_Facebook.jpg

• Member Contributer

I did quite a bit of camping when I was in college on various geology field trips.  I had a pup tent.  It rained on the inside (condensation only, no leaks).   All the single layer tents had the issue regardless of size, but the bigger ones weren't as bad.  The double layered tents were better, but they were more bulky and there were still other issues/complaints that I can't recall off the top of my head. 

My favorite professor of all time, brought a sleeping bag and a tarp.  He laid the tarp down, put the sleeping bag on it, got in and rolled up.  He was dry as a bone every morning, even if it rained.  I finished that first field trip by just leaving the tent flat and rolling up in it.  From that point on, I never packed a tent ever again...tarp only!  BTW, he wasn't your typical college professor. He had a full career as an oil industry geologist. He retired from that and taught geology for fun.  Awesome guy! 

• Like 1