Pitching A Tent - Best / Smallest Tent For Bike Camping

didit

• Member Contributer

Considering I'm doing who knows how many miles beyond the trip to Dillon

side bar (wife says, why don't you just go for as long as you want? Just go. . . . ) end side bar - no questions please

I'm looking for a decent quality, not too terribly expensive (willing to buy en route in US) tent that I can:

- put up and pack up quickly

- offers good fly protection and ventalation

- packs up small, tight & light

I've searched the sight and found good reviews on the Kelty Grand Mesa 2, but at $200US it's a bit much for my meager plans.

Any and all input appreciated.

• Member Contributer

I have had good luck with cheap tents, was in one during an amazingly bad storm camping at cape hatteras, NC (near kitty hawk). If you lose it off the back of your bike is less to cry about. The most important thing is to trial run your gear and bike, go on a weekend trip with rain in the forecast..see what works and what does not work...coleman/eureka are good basic tents, a little heavier, bigger than northface or mt hardware/pricier brands...you are not backpacking so save the money. TRIAL RUN before big trip is best advice I could give you. My cheap $40 tent (yes I have some better ones) has passed 5 rainy nights on kayak trips and another 5 rainy nights on bike trips, all dry and good. Doug

• Member Contributer

Nice unit. book marked. Thanks sPOTO, Looks like what I want, but can I get it for 1/2 price?

I'm not cheap, I'm just cheap.

Doug, where'd you get your cheap tent?

• Member Contributer

You can always find pretty good deals at Sierra Trading post and there are always coupon codes and free shipping codes that can be found easily on the net. I've included a couple links below.

Here is a two man tent with good reviews for only $109

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,1480D_...n-3-Season.html

Here is a 1 person tent with good reviews for $129

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,1478D_...n-3-Season.html

Regards,

Rollin

Edited by RollinAgain

Guest Mark5948

I have a Eureka Timberline 2 circa 1990ish that works very well for backpacking and riding as it turns out. I also know that the 3 man tents from walmart that look like the kelly or rei brand of medium sized 3 man tents work very well, and are not overly large when setup or packed. One of the guys had to make a replacement purchase for his way to small tent last year.

• Member Contributer
I have a Eureka Timberline 2 circa 1990ish that works very well for backpacking and riding as it turns out. I also know that the 3 man tents from walmart that look like the kelly or rei brand of medium sized 3 man tents work very well, and are not overly large when setup or packed. One of the guys had to make a replacement purchase for his way to small tent last year.

I'll second Mark5948's recommendation for Eureka tents.

I use a Eureka Backcountry 2 tent (here at CampMor) when I am solo-motorcycle camping. I've had it for several years and am very happy with it.

• It packs down considerably smaller than most other tents I've seen - great for carrying on the bike without taking up much room.
  • Setup is a piece of cake. (Emphasis added. -Ron) I can quickly & easily put this tent up even after a long and tiring day in the saddle.
  • A "two man" tent is typically cozy for two people, but it's great for a solo motorcyclist WITH GEAR.
  • Or, when the wife & I are car camping, it has enough room for two sleeping bags, but not much else.
  • Note that this tent does not appear to be made anymore - it's not listed at Eureka's website anymore.

I also use a Eureka Timberline 4 tent (here) for two-up motorcycle camping trips

• A "four man" tent gives us plenty of room for our sleeping bags AND our riding gear.
  • But, when packed down, it is still 24" long (due to the length of the pole segments).
  • The Timberline 2 is still made & available, so it's smaller - but the pole segments are just as long.

Prior to acquiring both of these tents, we used a several cheaper tents (from Walmart, etc.) with fiberglass poles. After numerous pole failures with each of those tents, we realized that perhaps spending a little bit more for a higher quality tent (the 2 Eureka's listed above, both of which use aluminum poles) would provide more durability. And it has.

With those two endorsements out of the way, there are other tents available - Aerostich lists several, and Chase Harper offers a pole-free tent (for which you can use your bike as a tie-down point).

Good luck, however you decide.

Ron

Edited by ron_al

• Member Contributer
Nice unit. book marked. Thanks sPOTO, Looks like what I want, but can I get it for 1/2 price?

It's not the same tent, but there is a $100 version on sale on REI's outlet site here.

(I have no experience with this tent, I just did a quick search of REI's Outlet site.)

Ron

• Member Contributer

If weight is the deciding factor then go with the one that Spoto recomended. REI has great products and will garantee it for life if your a member. They are just a little pricy at times. If all you care about is size, then go to your local army surplus or outdoors store and pick up a regular back packing tent. My kid (11 years old) uses a typical backpacking tent that weighs around 6lbs. and doesn't have any problems with the weight. The tent cost around $50.00 at Sports Authority and has all the same feature as the more expensive REI model except for the weight. I hope that helps.

interesting topic. Nobody has mentioned ease of put-up/take down. The last thing you need after hours and hours in the seat is fighting a nylon origami gorrila.

• Member Contributer

Here is what I have used over the years, tent sale I just googled it from the label weighs 6ish pounds 24"(thats 24 inches) no metric system here wink.gif here it is on the back of my bike(she will whole again in one more week :huh: )

gallery_8073_4155_482810.jpg

IMG_0011.JPG

This is what I have used in the past when you first set it up spray it down with scotchguard & you shouldn't have any problems with rain. very easy to set up just two poles, easy to fit back in the bag even when wet :wheel: and big enough to hang out in if the weather sucks

link did not work

Here it is http://www.shoplocal.com/lid-2089579045pri...-person-tent.fp

• Member Contributer

Doug, where'd you get your cheap tent?

Canadian Tire has a surprisingly good selection of inexpensive tents, and of course Walley Mart

Guest dendron
I've searched the sight and found good reviews on the Kelty Grand Mesa 2, but at $200US it's a bit much for my meager plans.

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Grand-Mesa-2-P...355&sr=1-21

You may like the price for this model a little better on Amazon. Board member, vfrcapn, recently returned from a circuitous trip of the far western US using the Kelty Grand Mesa 2, and reports that it worked very well. Good value for money!

• Member Contributer

I've been using a Mtn. Hardwear one man tent and it's great but just not big enough for me and my gear. Consequently, I'm trying to find a roomier tent before August.

Campmor usually has some good deals.

• Member Contributer

Yikes! I haven't paid more than $80 for a tent ever. Try Coleman tents. Inexpensive and they work. Get a 2-3 man two pole dome tent and you are set. I have tested several of their tents through some pretty crappy weather and always came out dry in the end. They are quick to put up/take down and you can fold the tent a variety of different ways to get it to fit in your gear (any tent that is). Your biggest issue will be the poles but they all fold now-a-days so strapping them to your luggage is very doable. I paid $50 for my 3 man Coleman and still have it for exactly what you plan on doing. Roomy enough for 2 with plenty of space for gear.

Good luck!

Edit: Here's the Coleman Tents. I have the Sundome and I love it. They have a 2 man Hooligan for $60 and it only uses 1 pole. And of course they have the Weathertec system that guarantees your satisfaction. wink.gif

This REI Half Dome is my tent, I use it a lot, it's light, sets up quickly and is perfect for one person and gear, or two and the gear outside under the fly. Love it. My home away from home. The other thing that adds bulk and weight is the sleeping bag, that's why I chose a three season down bag, it packs down very small and is as light as a bag this warm could be.

My sleeping bag is made by Marmot. The last thing to make your night comfortable is a three quarter length foam pad. I often sleep much better in my tent than hotel rooms.

width<a href="http://s372.photobucket{/img]

Edited by choco

Guest Oxygen545

I use the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight. it's about $200 but it is awesome. it's rated as a 2 man tent but really it's a 1 man tent w/ some room. it packs up tiny and is super light. it's the most popular tent used by through hikers hiking the Appalachian Trail. If you're just looking for a 102 times a year tent I'd say just get a 2 or 3 man dome tent from target or Walmart and be done w/ it.. if you want a quality tent spend the money.

Damon

• Member Contributer

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Grand-Mesa-2-P...355&sr=1-21

You may like the price for this model a little better on Amazon. Board member, vfrcapn, recently returned from a circuitous trip of the far western US using the Kelty Grand Mesa 2, and reports that it worked very well. Good value for money!

What he said. :huh: I paid $125 at a local sporting goods store.

Backpacker magazine has a whole product review issue this month if you're interested. They did pick the Kelty Gunnison 2.1 tent as the overall best buy in the 2 person category, based on price, performance, etc. http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Gunnison-2-1-P...7877&sr=1-1

I thought it seemed a little large packed up. The Mesa 2 packed in to a bag about 12" long and 6" diameter, minus the poles of course. The REI tents also got good reviews, along with a bunch more that are way out of my price range.

Where you headed after the Summit? east, west, north, south?

• Member Contributer

Wow! Thanks for all the information and links. Saved me too much time of just searching tents.

Appreciate the personal reviews. Ease of use and a small travel size, a vestibule, good rain protection & solid form are key.

Liking to keep the price well below $100 as I'm not a big camper dude and it'll probably go into storage for the rest of the year once I get back.

Plenty of research through those links to do.

I'll have to find a light-medium bag to sleep in. Again, space saving on the bike is the thing. Also, I'll have to look at a cable lock,

to lock the bike to the tent when done for the day.

vfrcapn, I'm not exactly planned for where. A friend here has shown me picks of Utah that were quite cool.

I was thinking New Mexico, Grand Canyon / Arizona, then working up through S. Cali, Oregon and back to BC.

Minimum 2 weeks, maximum ?????

• Member Contributer
Wow! Thanks for all the information and links. Saved me too much time of just searching tents.

Appreciate the personal reviews. Ease of use and a small travel size, a vestibule, good rain protection & solid form are key.

Liking to keep the price well below $100 as I'm not a big camper dude and it'll probably go into storage for the rest of the year once I get back.

Plenty of research through those links to do.

I'll have to find a light-medium bag to sleep in. Again, space saving on the bike is the thing. Also, I'll have to look at a cable lock,

to lock the bike to the tent when done for the day.

vfrcapn, I'm not exactly planned for where. A friend here has shown me picks of Utah that were quite cool.

I was thinking New Mexico, Grand Canyon / Arizona, then working up through S. Cali, Oregon and back to BC.

Minimum 2 weeks, maximum ?????

I think the down bags will pack the smallest, I've read down to grapefruit size? My synthetic packs to about the size of 2 small cantelopes. Also looking for a cable lock, more for the hotel stays than camping.

Looking at the Eureka tent Phormanluge mentions, I think those side entry types would be more convenient than the style I got with the end door, although I haven't tried them.

Here's a possible route I was thinking (going clockwise), still changing it around though. Summit route

• Member Contributer
Yes I pitch a tent every morn and it is not a small tent and it is for one woman. :fing02:

LOL

Stephen

But it's not waterproof, is it!