Succesfull Twin Exhaust?

Guest knucklehead

Guest knucklehead

im sorry I know the title may be misleading but I want to know if anyone has successfully removed there rear turn signals and placed a twin exhaust in its place, On any generation. Within the stock plastics would be perfect but has it been done at all? I know it’s possible (probably at a little power loss) but ive got the whole thing planned out in my head and wanted something to compare and learn from. Thanks

• Member Contributer

I haven't seen anything like that done. It might be easier to go through the brake light area a' la the NR750 and insert a smaller brake light in the plastic right above it. Much of that plastic isn't very structurally sound tho'.

As you may know, most of the areas near the turnsignals are taken up by electronics and heat and electronics/plastics don't always play well together. Insulation should high on your list of concerns.

when i had my 4th gen i wanted to do it that way. but i got to looking at my 5th gens rear end and i cant find a suitable place to put the brake light back in. :O light bulb moment. Ive been looking into making custom LED arrays for my turn signals i can do the same thing for the brake lights. fotomoto you just kicked my brain into overdrive on getting rid of all the "normal" rear lights and going with a whole new rear end, custom exhaust, while still keeping the lines of the bike intact. any one have any ideas or input on that idea?

I've been thinking about an underseat exhaust for my 4th gen that wil have trapezoidal outlets replacing the rear integrated turn signals for years already, but frankly, I do not have the skills and resources to fabricate such things. Eveytime I think of it I realize more challenges along the way which puts the idea farther and farther away into fantasy land, plus the ever present concern for undertail/seat heat management just makes me even more nervous about the idea.

Anyway, Underseat exhaust systems have become mostly "passe" already, with most manufacturers having their go at it and dropping it from their latest designs already. I don't think it's really worth the effort anymore. A good high right or left can actually still looks better to me these days.

Beck

95 VFR

i think under tail exhaust kits for bikes that were not engineered from the factory with them are a custom thing anyway. there has to be so much R&D and warranties and fab work they cant make any money off it. If you use a carbon pipe the heat becomes almost a none issue, i can grab my pipe with bare hands after a few hours ride and its nice and cozy warm. I just love the look of "wheres the exhaust?" people always rag on me about the stuff i do to my vehicles "isnt worth anything when you sell it" "your decreasing the resale value by doing that" I just have fun doing whats not supposed to be done and laughing when it works. how else do you grow your mind and spirit? :D

• Member Contributer
I just have fun doing whats not supposed to be done and laughing when it works. how else do you grow your mind and spirit? :D

:laugh:

• Member Contributer
I just have fun doing whats not supposed to be done and laughing when it works. how else do you grow your mind and spirit? :D

:laugh:

:laugh: +2

Do what you want! Make it your own! step out of the box!

You will need to replace or redesign the whole rear subframe to get the system completely inside the bodywork (yep, I've given it a lot of thought too).

The Tyga NR gives an idea of what is required:

nrunclothedrearleft1.JPG

nrunclothedright.JPG

I think one avenue worth investigating is to try the 6th Gen rear subframe (now known to be able to be fitted, FotoMoto did it and someone else here has done it too) and lay the 4th Gen bodywork over it. Suitable heat shielding would be necessary, I have some out of a C-130 Hercules engine bay that would fit the bill nicely :laugh:

C-130 heat shielding??? You freaking plane wrenches always get the cool toys. I am going to do this mod on my 5th gen. thanks for the pics. I know I would have to move all my electronics inboard; I was planning on doing a new box under the seat like vfrcapn did to keep things clean cut. And using carbon fiber panels with the shiny heat tape on the pipe side to keep things cool. Does anyone know if fiberglass dissipates or resists heat as well as carbon fiber?

LOL, the heat shielding came to me from a mate who rebuilds turboprops and gas turbines for a living (he has a sweet VF1000R too).

I have dual underseat cans and have wondered about routing the outlets up through and out of the tail light area - certainly do-able but you can't easily hide the twin canisters when they're located between the frame rails. Just getting them high enough to ensure no wheel contact requires some cutting of the frame gussets.

I don't think fibreglass has the same heat qualities as CF, but if you can work fibreglass you can work CF. Check out some tutorials on the net.

I assume you know of Okiengr's 5th Gen?

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...ic=50821&hl=

DSC04215.jpg

he did a great job on that pipe. im most interested in how nice he got the pipe tubing looking. i wanted to do stainless so when it got hot you got the rainbow effect on it. but the seams is what strayed me away. the only thing that doesn't strike my fancy is the elephant trunk look. look at the tail and where the tail lights are, then go look at the end of an elephants trunk. lol. im thinking more like the pic below. the oval being where the pipe exits, and the drawing in the lower right corner how it would look from the top down.

DSC04215.jpg

I have been working on an undertail exhaust for mine:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c=51285&hl=

I was going to put it up coming out thru the tail light but it would involve alot more cutting of the sub frame than I wanted to do. I did find the old SV tail light has a nice profile to fit in the upper half moon portion of the tail if I was to do this. If you are wanting to mod a sub frame and use the SV light I do have a light and sub frame can sell you to mod up.

This is the best way if they only made the tail of the NR for the VFR and not a stupid 929:

IMG_0240.jpg

And the SV tail light that would look sweet in the upper part of the tail:

YELLOWSV650082.jpg

Had a set of those at first - HUGE and HEAVY! not really an option if you want them under the tail. They looked cool as a dual side high mount thou. Learn from my mistake but I did resell them locally.

• Member Contributer

I got lucky, my Yosh cans with custom tips fit perfect in my R's brake light cutout!

gallery_13847_3747_49764.jpg

tail.jpg

gallery_13847_3747_581704.jpg

Ready to Go.jpg

• Member Contributer

Anyone remember tok tokkie's custom underslung exhaust? click here

I've often thought that would be the best way to package an underseat exhaust as well. You could build the exhaust to whatever size/shape fit best and be more efficient in utilizing the minimal space that's there, kinda like the Ducati 999. It's basically a box-shaped exhaust with a few curves and soft edges. Here's the best pic I could find with a quick search:

Janelle999Intro1.150.jpg

he did a great job on that pipe. im most interested in how nice he got the pipe tubing looking. i wanted to do stainless so when it got hot you got the rainbow effect on it. but the seams is what strayed me away. the only thing that doesn't strike my fancy is the elephant trunk look. look at the tail and where the tail lights are, then go look at the end of an elephants trunk. lol. im thinking more like the pic below. the oval being where the pipe exits, and the drawing in the lower right corner how it would look from the top down.

DSC04215.jpg

I wanted to do that same exact thing that you're talking about! Routing the exits through the sides like that. But it seemed to be a major feat to try and accomplish so I strayed away from the idea. But if you can do it, more power to ya! I'd love to see it! Don't let the seams stray you away. Mine has them, it's just hard to see in the picture. Big 'ol weld out in the open, joining the pipes. The reason I say don't worry about the seams, you can get them TIG welded and grind down the welds. Get it all smooth, polish it out, and you won't see any seams. I have yet to polish mine out because it really doesn't bother me THAT much. I will get it done soon enough though.

• Member Contributer

Why not build a small muffler and place it under the engine then route pipes from it into the tail section ending in the small stinger mufflers as used on a two stroke? That way you'd still get a muffler and the trick look of the small and very space efficient cans in the tail.

Just an idea.

Why not build a small muffler and place it under the engine then route pipes from it into the tail section ending in the small stinger mufflers as used on a two stroke? That way you'd still get a muffler and the trick look of the small and very space efficient cans in the tail.

Just an idea.

I'm not an exhaust system expert, but I think the muffler can "volume" needs to be at the very end of the system to come up with the best flow characteristics and most power. Having the muffler volume in the end must have some sort of exhaust scavenging affect. Maybe having a substantial legnth of pipe after the muffler can volume will just result in drag in the sytem and loss of power.

Beck

95 VFR

Im a fabricator by trade (until the economy tanked sad.gif ) so metal and body work dont frighten me much. I decided to make things easyer on myself and modify the stock subframe. my plan is to either cut it and skinny it up or buy some square tubing and fab my own based on the stock dimensions. it would look something like this. either bent or cut and weld depending on wether i fab my own or use an existing one. Im leaning towords cut and weld an existing one.

med_gallery_14356_3942_3486.jpg

i also want to shorten the headers for the rear cylinders, shortening as in move them towords the front. so cut a section and move them forward to get more room between them and the tire. so i can tuck the up pipe to the mufflers more inside the lines of the bike.

i thought about putting the pipe under the bike like tok tokkie did. but unless you have those little 90 bends aiming the exhaust away you end up with crap all over everything. i did my jeep that way and now my rear axle is nice and black. no paint needed. :D

Good thinking Knucklehead. I'll send you some pics of my Wolf installation to give you some more ideas.

If you're going to go that far with the rear subframe why not go with aluminium and take a bit of weight out while you're at it?

That was my original thought. but I have my own mig welder but not a tig welder. so i would have to take it to a shop and have them weld my pieces together and hope they got everything to fit the way it was meant. and i know someones gonna think it, "why dont you use pop rivets" and pop rivets work great for covers, non stressed members, and such, but they have absolutly no place holding together a stressed member.

phantom- so you did the mod on that tyga? everytime i come on here to reply i find myself studying every part of it i can see. great job.

Archived