Will R1 Cans Be Louder Than Stock?

Alien VFR

• Member Contributer

In a couple of weeks I'm going to have a mid pipe made to mount some stock 2008 R1 cans.

I'm guessing the R1 cans are going to sound like the stock VFR pipes.

Does anyone disagree? I'm hoping it will sound at least a little louder...

• Member Contributer

After recently installing a stock cbr600rr can on my gen 5, I can tell you that in my case the sound is almost identical to stock. I may in the future however, open it and let it breath a little more, we'll see.

Jesse

In a couple of weeks I'm going to have a mid pipe made to mount some stock 2008 R1 cans.

I'm guessing the R1 cans are going to sound like the stock VFR pipes.

Does anyone disagree? I'm hoping it will sound at least a little louder...

I'm guessing you're right.

As to why do it, I'm drawing a blank unless it's a cheap or free can, and your stocker is damaged. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Yeah, the stock R1 cans still meet the same gov. dB levels as the VFR. I have seen some sell on ebay that have been "cored", i.e., bafflectomy.

Thats not a bad idea Alien. I have a mate with a new R1 who is taking delivery of a couiple of Akropovic's today, I wonder what he's doing with the stock ones smile.gif

• Member Contributer

I got the R1 cans free from my buddy.

The shape of the cans and especially the heat shields look like they were designed for the 6th gen VFR.

I always thought the stock VFR exhaust was ugly, and I think the R1 Cans are going to look pretty good. I know at least one member here has installed R1 cans on a 6th gen.

My local muffler shop guy is going to make me a nice mid-pipe for under $100. That's worth it for the better look and slight weight savings (R1 cans are titanium).

• Member Contributer
I thought Buki67 has R1 cans on his VTEC.. anyone?

Yup, he does! :cool:

Pictures, please!!!

I once toyed around with the idea of having Seb put some previous generation R1 cans on my bike. IIRC, I scrapped the idea because neither of us were sure it would work. These are the ones I wanted:

2004-Yamaha-R1b.jpg

• Member Contributer

12VoltTerry has a set of modified '05 R1 mufflers on his VTEC. Saw them at the Kootenanny Hootenanny - looked and sounded quite a bit better than stock.

At least one R1 owner here gutted his pipes and then put spark arrestor mesh in the tailends to prevent the local constabulary from road side 'testing' of the legality of his setup.

• Member Contributer
I thought Buki67 has R1 cans on his VTEC.. anyone?

Yup, he does! :goofy:

This is the race baffle kit:

link to baffle kit on ebay

00b0_1.JPG

What year R1? Gov is soon going to require OEM+DOT approved pipes here, I'm thinking I might pick up a set of these... Law wouldn't state WHICH OEM's pipes have to be installed...

I think that would be a sweet little mod. Let us know how it works out. You're going to be shocked at how quiet your bike is again though, after taking off your open pipes...

• Member Contributer

Here are a couple pics of the R1 exhaust I'll be using. I'm going to have another midpipe made up, but it will be prettier than the one I've been using with the open exhaust.

Does anyone have a diagram of the internals? Maybe I could drill them out for a little more noise like many have done to the stock vfr exhaust...

DSCN1040.jpg

DSCN1028.jpg

DSCN1029.jpg

DSCN1030.jpg

• Member Contributer

I know. I was just giving you a hard time to set up my question about why you haven't painted your frame/forks... :goofy:

• Member Contributer
I know. I was just giving you a hard time to set up my question about why you haven't painted your frame/forks... :biggrin:

Winter is over, and I can't bring myself to tear the bike down to paint when I can be riding it instead.

Speaking of which; I'm going out to ride right now...

• Member Contributer
12VoltTerry has a set of modified '05 R1 mufflers on his VTEC. Saw them at the Kootenanny Hootenanny - looked and sounded quite a bit better than stock.

At least one R1 owner here gutted his pipes and then put spark arrestor mesh in the tailends to prevent the local constabulary from road side 'testing' of the legality of his setup.

I've been to his gallery twice now and didn't see it. If anyone's got pics of a current generation VFR with current or previous generation R1 cans already mounted on his VFR, please post pics because I'd definitely like to see them. Also, if possible, from various angles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I have a set of titanium R1 cans off the 07-08 model in the hands of a friend who is going to make a custom mid-pipe and mount them up. Unfortunately his queue is a bit full so this probably won't happen until the end of August (after the Summer Summit sad.gif) but rest assured once they are mounted I will be posting pictures. He is also going to wrap the headers and pipes leading up to the cans as well as cut down the length of the cans (which includes gutting the internals and repacking them). wink.gif

I have a set of titanium R1 cans off the 07-08 model in the hands of a friend who is going to make a custom mid-pipe and mount them up. Unfortunately his queue is a bit full so this probably won't happen until the end of August (after the Summer Summit sad.gif) but rest assured once they are mounted I will be posting pictures. He is also going to wrap the headers and pipes leading up to the cans as well as cut down the length of the cans (which includes gutting the internals and repacking them). wink.gif

That should work out better than shipping them to me too! :biggrin:

Archived