Tank Bag And Handling

landlover

• Member Contributer

Hi, just got a Marsee 10 liter tank bag and leafing through the manual it says no more than three pounds in the bag. Thats not a whole lot of weight, all that is planned to bring is wallet, keys, lunch, bottle of water and a camera that will probably exceed three pounds. How does a tank bag effect handling with the above items, know it is supposed to be low but that is not possible yet. Any and all comments are welcome thank you.

• Member Contributer
You wont even know its there..well other than the sight!!!

Thanks both of you. Yeah, figured that but wanted to be sure, just that manual says three pounds, that is nothing!

Does it fix on with magnets or clips on a tank-cover like the bagster set-up? If the magnets are weak and the weight excessive, it could move around on you... I used to have a double tiered magnetic one and with bothe tiers it was more the height that caused it to move around (lever effect) than the actuall total weight. If I carried heavier smaller objects with only one tier, no drama. Bagster rules tho'!!

• Member Contributer
Does it fix on with magnets or clips on a tank-cover like the bagster set-up? If the magnets are weak and the weight excessive, it could move around on you...

I have a big Cortech tank-bag from TourMaster, it's magnetic and it doesn't move at all even when loaded with 15 pounds or more. And I really don't notice it in the handling of the bike, as the weight is held close to the center of gravity.

That's the beauty of a tank bag - it lets you carry stuff and not really feel it, plus it's super-handy and it'll hold your map to see while you're riding. I put the heavy, dense stuff in it, and the lighter bulky things in the side- and top-cases when we are touring. Tools, etc. go in the tank bag, and it makes a big difference in how the bike feels. Rain gloves, snacks, chain lube, iPod, and other things I want to get to without getting off the bike go in, too.

I've become a huge fan of tank bags - load that thing up as long as it doesn't move around on you. Also, be sure to keep the underside VERY clean. I swing the magnetic "wings" closed under the bag when I take it off, and then I kind of sweep the bottom each time with my hands before I put it on the bike. Check into the clear film from 3M and others that will protect the tank. I've been using one on bare paint for 5 years and so far no scratches (probably just jinxed that).

• Member Contributer

The problem I have with tank bags is that they limit how much I can get my chest down on the tank mid-corner which for me, limits handling. I only use mine for commuting.

• Member Contributer

:biggrin:

Found the same thing. I didn't like being kept back off the tank during a recent trip... only problem, that tank bag is the most convenient place for a camera and water bottle....

The problem I have with tank bags is that they limit how much I can get my chest down on the tank mid-corner which for me, limits handling. I only use mine for commuting.

I;ve had a cortech tank bag for two years now... and love it. It's never been an issue regarding handling... I forget it's there until I stop to get gas and have to move it. Great investment!

Found the same thing. I didn't like being kept back off the tank during a recent trip... only problem, that tank bag is the most convenient place for a camera and water bottle....

I just bought a Rapid Transit Recon 19. First time I used it (pretty full with rain gear, my laptop, and some other work items), I noticed a lot of wind buffetting around my head, and thought it must be windy. After a bit, I realized that there wasn't much wind, but the bag had changed the air-flow. I found that moving the bag as far forward as possible, it pretty much eliminated this effect.

Amyone else notice this with a tank bag on their bike?

• Member Contributer

I use an icon urban tank bag. I added 12volt hook-ups and it keeps all my batteries charged on longer rides. I like it cause' it doubles as a backpack. That was useful at mid-ohio except for it getting hot on my back... I bought a huge Held tankbag from a member here and it definitely is huge but will be valuable when I want to carry a bunch of stuff to work. I can't see my gps with it but that doesn't matter much since it talks to me through my helmet anyway. I only use it for tunes anyway on my daily commute, can't see getting lost going down 75 (unless I want to).

• Member Contributer

:491:

If you're planning on railing in the twisties, it will get in a way. Otherwise, no problem. Load it up as much as it will take.

I have never had the tank bag effect handling. I also have a marsee but I dont like to expand it. Mine uses magnets and it will not move unless it's way overfilled and hard on the brakes. I have been down twice and the bag is still perfect. use the tether that goes around the frame. I do like to keep mine forward on the tank. HTH.

She aint going no where.

gallery_7269_1711_14280.jpg

gallery_7288_3389_32486.jpg

gallery_7269_1711_877108.jpg

8.jpg

I have never had the tank bag effect handling. I also have a marsee but I dont like to expand it. Mine uses magnets and it will not move unless it's way overfilled and hard on the brakes. I have been down twice and the bag is still perfect. use the tether that goes around the frame. I do like to keep mine forward on the tank. HTH.

She aint going no where.

gallery_7269_1711_14280.jpg

gallery_7288_3389_32486.jpg

gallery_7269_1711_877108.jpg

8.jpg

Most manufacturers of these bags put the weight disclaimer for liabilty reasons.....having said that i have a joe rocket tank/tail bag that is huge and have had it loaded with no adverse effects or any issues what so ever. I agree with putting in as far to the front of the tank is a great idea, only issue is covering the gauges.....sorry officer could not see the speedo, see if that works

There's a fully loaded tankbag in this pic somewhere... complete with camera, water, earplugs, glasses, wallet, keys, etc + a pair of size 13 sneakers... :blush:

gallery_5444_3979_26810.jpg

Railin 421 in Shady Valley Hey look, sparkles!

The evening before:

gallery_5444_3979_281338.jpg

Evening on the Blue Ridge Parkway

• 5 months later...
There's a fully loaded tankbag in this pic somewhere... complete with camera, water, earplugs, glasses, wallet, keys, etc + a pair of size 13 sneakers... :laugh:

gallery_5444_3979_26810.jpg

Railin 421 in Shady Valley Hey look, sparkles!

The evening before:

gallery_5444_3979_281338.jpg

Evening on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Yea... But that doesn't count.... The centrifugal force would have held the bag on any way. :cool:

Of course my bag has to rely on the magnets. :fing02:

Hi, just got a Marsee 10 liter tank bag and leafing through the manual it says no more than three pounds in the bag. Thats not a whole lot of weight, all that is planned to bring is wallet, keys, lunch, bottle of water and a camera that will probably exceed three pounds. How does a tank bag effect handling with the above items, know it is supposed to be low but that is not possible yet. Any and all comments are welcome thank you.

I've been riding with tankbags back since the late 70's, without any problems. I do keep it foward(and strapped to the top trip. tree. When I refuel, I just stick it to the side of the gas cap,without unhooking from strap. I have started using smaller tankbags, and started using tailbags, for anyhing more than tank bags, but less than side hard bags. A lot of compartmentalization. As far as the wind, I did have a problem with wind under my helmet, that moving it foward, and smaller helped.

Fyi.... Don't load the bags "bottom" with anything that may have an issue with being close to magnets..... ***** But don't worry about it being in the bag otherwise*****

gallery_16535_4484_1527898.jpg

DSC00184.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_296434.jpg

DSC00173.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_528588.jpg

DSC00172.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_1169634.jpg

DSC00165.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_701309.jpg

DSC00122.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_784372.jpg

DSC00221.JPG

• Member Contributer

I have the large Marsee magnetic tankbag with the hard plastic top cover. It's a great bag. I've got all my chargers in the bottom connected to a Powerlet socket. I put a heavy cardboard floor over the chargers and cords, and piled all kinds of stuff on top of it (except the kitchen sink).

It's pretty heavy, much more than three pounds. I've never had a problem of it shifting or slding. It is handy to lay my chest on to get out of the rain or bugs a bit better, or just relax for a while.

I never thought about it creating buffeting. I don't believe I've ever been at speed without it. Think I'll give it a try and see if there's a significant difference.

• Member Contributer

The rule in tank bags is to keep it small... a rider wants to move from one side of the bike to the other

without a large hump in the way...

Aluminum bracket designed to anchor the tank bag without touching the aluminum tank...

gallery_3131_51_15864.jpg

gallery_3131_51_6823.jpg

gallery_3131_51_64453.jpg

2282676903_dbef70a7ed_o.jpg

Fyi.... Don't load the bags "bottom" with anything that may have an issue with being close to magnets.....

Actually, you don't need to worry about that - it's been proven to NOT be a problem.

I use my tankbag a lot - every day for commuting. The only issue is my tank is scratched to hell. (Mind you, it goes with all the other ruined paintwork. The only good panel is the seat cowl, even though I keep putting scuff marks on it from my boot.)

I find the tank bag is better than using the back pack, as the weight distribution is better, and it's more aerodynamic. I have noticed a slight effect with turbulence, from the air that comes under the screen vent I guess, but only at higher speeds.

I've also dropped my bike with the tank bag on. It stayed put (until I hurled it across the road in a fit of rage...)

• Member Contributer

I used to carry everything minus the kitchen sink in my Motopak tank bag. The total bag weight was just over twenty pounds. Walking out the back door at work one day I noticed the door was metal. Of course its metal. Its a secure commercial building. I've always known its metal. For some reason my brain assigned extra significance to the fact this day and commanded my hand to release the already swinging tank bag when I was a few feet from the door. :dry: It stuck.

• Member Contributer

If you're planning on railing in the twisties, it will get in a way. Otherwise, no problem. Load it up as much as it will take.

Exactly, mostly repeat information, but the bag itself doesn't affect handling, it's that proper high speed cornering technique involves crossing your opposite arm across the tank to get your upper body out and low enough.

Archived