New Nuvi 360

Guest V4MOGO

Just received my new Garmin Nuvi 360 from Amazon. $159 delivered. Now all I need is some warm weather so I can plan an exit strategy and head further south.

Not waterproof but it does have bluetooth and a built in MP3 player. Ram mounts on the way.

I got mine as a X-mas gift in Dec 2007 and it was around $550 IIRC. Nice to see the price going down as technology becomes more commonplace. I'm using a RAM stem mount with a standard length extension and the Nuvi cradle. In hindsight, I would recommend getting the short extension. The medium one allows a little two much vibration, IMO.

Roger

RAM-HOL-GA21U Holder for Garmin Nuvi 300 series $8.11

RAM-B-201C 5.25” arm $17.95

RAM-B-238U Adapter for Nuvi holder $5.46

RAM-B-231ZU Bar mount (use on front tank bolts) $11.18

These are the pieces I ordered. It will attatch to the two bolts at the front of the tank.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
RAM-HOL-GA21U Holder for Garmin Nuvi 300 series $8.11

RAM-B-201C 5.25” arm $17.95

RAM-B-238U Adapter for Nuvi holder $5.46

RAM-B-231ZU Bar mount (use on front tank bolts) $11.18

These are the pieces I ordered. It will attatch to the two bolts at the front of the tank.

I just ordered a Nuvi 360 and the same RAM parts!

• Member Contributer

Here's the set up for my Nuvi 760. This is where I ordered the mounts from.

http://www.gpscity.com/search/q=aqua+box+6

You can purchase the aqua box as a kit so you get the bike mount, arm, and ball mount for the aquabox, and the aquabox itself for much cheaper. I also ordered a shorter arm and fork stem mount for my 4th gen. I believe for the 6th gen guys in the kit it will have a bracket that you can use to mount on your forward tank mounting bolts, depending on which kit you buy.

I am also using a hardwire kit, and this one works well...especially because the mini USB connection has a 90 degree bend in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Gilsson-GUSB5V-B-Col...3293&sr=8-1

I am able to fit a chatterbox dongle(so I can use bluetooth for voice prompts and listen to MP3), all the cables, the transformer for the power supply, and the GPS itself all in the aquabox. The only cable that comes out is for the power supply and I used a mini plug. The male on the GPS side and female on bike side. Sorry I dont have any pics with the GPS mounted, I am downloading MP3's onto it at this very moment.

Very easy set up, hope this helps out.

pic2009035.jpg

pic2009039.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Arggghhh!! I didn't realize the Nuvi 360 doesn't have tracklog capability!!! :fing02:

Now I have a new GPS unit and it doesn't have the main functionality that I wanted. That is how I record my route and share with others, isn't it? I also intended to use this function to map the 4X4 trails that I frequent. Looks like I may have a very nearly new 360 for sale soon!

• Member Contributer
Arggghhh!! I didn't realize the Nuvi 360 doesn't have tracklog capability!!! :fing02:

Now I have a new GPS unit and it doesn't have the main functionality that I wanted. That is how I record my route and share with others, isn't it? I also intended to use this function to map the 4X4 trails that I frequent. Looks like I may have a very nearly new 360 for sale soon!

You also cannot upload routes to it from the PC, all must be done on the unit.

I have a quest that I use for the bike, and a Nuvi 350 for the cages. When I go off roading, I usually bring both and use the Quest for the trail of breadcrumbs.

• Member Contributer

I have a quest that I use for the bike, and a Nuvi 350 for the cages. When I go off roading, I usually bring both and use the Quest for the trail of breadcrumbs.

Well, my impulse buying bug strikes again...

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear. I just picked up a Zumo 450 for $370 from an online vendor. The price seems a bit steep but considering it came with everything needed to put it on my VFR in one package, it being weather/vibration resistant, etc I considered it worth it when the prices finally came down. There was a period of time though that I seriously though about the Nuvi line considering the price range. Looking at the ongoing post of Tales of Zumo I am glad I stuck it out. It was a tough choice though.

Arggghhh!! I didn't realize the Nuvi 360 doesn't have tracklog capability!!! :biggrin:

Does the Nuvi 760 have those capabilities? I am especially interested in being able to load maps from Google into the unit!

Thanks!

• Member Contributer
Arggghhh!! I didn't realize the Nuvi 360 doesn't have tracklog capability!!! :biggrin:

Does the Nuvi 760 have those capabilities? I am especially interested in being able to load maps from Google into the unit!

Thanks!

I don't know for sure, but I don't think any of the Nuvi line are able to.

• Member Contributer

Thanks!

I don't know for sure, but I don't think any of the Nuvi line are able to.

I think the Zumo line is what you want. They are for specifically motorcycles...water/fuel/vibration resistant. Easier to use with gloves. Tracklog. Mem cards.

If I was to upgrade my streetpilot 2620, I would get one of the Zumo's.

Just wondering....don't you miss seeing your instrument panel with this big Nuvi GPS head unit pretty much in the way of everything. I guess you could use the GPS as your spedometer, but I'd think you'd want to monitor your other guages and wanrning light too.

I'm thinking that an alternative mounting location for bigger GPS units like this Nuvi would be some kind of semi rigid mounting system that snaps on to a tank bag. Mounting it slightly back on a tank bag might maintain good site lines to the instrument panel and also better access to the ignition switch/key.

Beck

95 VFR

Zumo is out of my price range. Way out! :dry:

I know what you mean, I've been waiting and waiting and waiting.........

I'll probably be old enough to drive a Harley by the time they're in my price range. Oops, didn't mean to insult old people with that Harley comment :biggrin:

tongue.gif

• Member Contributer
Just wondering....don't you miss seeing your instrument panel with this big Nuvi GPS head unit pretty much in the way of everything. I guess you could use the GPS as your spedometer, but I'd think you'd want to monitor your other guages and wanrning light too.

I'm thinking that an alternative mounting location for bigger GPS units like this Nuvi would be some kind of semi rigid mounting system that snaps on to a tank bag. Mounting it slightly back on a tank bag might maintain good site lines to the instrument panel and also better access to the ignition switch/key.

Beck

95 VFR

I have the Nuvi 750 and it doesn't block the dash at all. It really depends on where you mount it. Here's mine:

GPS.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks!

The 760 does have tracklog but I'd go and read a couple of reviews because it still may not allow you to upload routes and tracklog may not be as smooth as with the Zumo models.

Beck

95 VFR

I have the Nuvi 750 and it doesn't block the dash at all. It really depends on where you mount it. Here's mine:

GPS.jpg

That's more like it! At least you can see your dash with your install. I guess there's room to do so afterall on the top triple.

• Member Contributer

Thanks!

The 760 does have tracklog but I'd go and read a couple of reviews because it still may not allow you to upload routes and tracklog may not be as smooth as with the Zumo models.

The 750/760 both allow you to upload routes from Mapsource, that was the reason I got rid of my 350 was so I could use uploaded routes.

• Member Contributer

Beck

95 VFR

GPS.jpg

That's more like it! At least you can see your dash with your install. I guess there's room to do so afterall on the top triple.

FWIW mine is bolted to the front tank bolts, not the triple tree, using a RAM mount.

• Member Contributer

Beck

95 VFR

GPS.jpg

What length arm is that? 3" or 5"? I like the postioning on that .

• Member Contributer

It's the 3", I thought about the 5" but decided it would be too high and wouldn't look as good. This one works very well even when I have the tank bag on, unless it's full and then the taller stem would be better.

Archived