Fort Donelson Ride

med_gallery_491_3604_327411.jpg

The first ride of 09 was planned to start early enough Sat. morning(6:30am) to try and avoid the predicted afternoon showers, but on my way to meet TC(Dale) at Puckett's I got rained on. Nothing big, but we had morning fog and light drizzle throughout the day. Nothing to keep me from enjoying a good 430 mile day! :angry:

I rolled into Puckett's and TC was already there enjoying some hot coffee so I joined him and grabbed a breakfast muffin. We were to meet John in Centerville and head out from there on a route John had planned, turned out I've been on most of the roads before.

The McDonald's parking lot in Centerville never looked better!

FortDonelsonride1-3-09004.jpg

The 3 of use enjoyed some great roads heading N/NW and ended up in KY near Land Between the Lakes where John took us to a nice spot for lunch where he mentioned Fort Donelson for the first time. He mentions a little history and says it's worth seeing as it's only a few miles out of the way so off we went to see a little Civil War history.

The Southern boys have had a strange way of welcoming their brothers from the North as they traveled south on the Cumberland River heading toward the TN boarder, here are a few shots of their welcome.

FortDonelsonride1-3-09029.jpg

gallery_491_3604_327411.jpg

FortDonelsonride1-3-09025.jpg

FortDonelsonride1-3-09013.jpg

I get the feeling they just didn't really want visitors from the north and backed up the thought with even more power. Here is a shot the upper battery

FortDonelsonride1-3-09008.jpg

Southern boy Dale could feel the Power!

FortDonelsonride1-3-09019.jpg

Info plaque.

FortDonelsonride1-3-09016.jpg

a few other site picks.

FortDonelsonride1-3-09032.jpg

FortDonelsonride1-3-09017.jpg

FortDonelsonride1-3-09043.jpg

We spent a good 45 min. checking the place out and thinking of the history of the Fort and events of the time and glad we weren't part of it. I was glad we stopped there, we even saw a large Eagles nest in the top of one of the large trees on the property. Nice place, thanks for suggesting it John. :angry:

We left Fort Donelson and heading back south on some more great twisty roads we enjoy so much in the area and said good bye to John back in Centerville as Dale and I headed back toward Leipers Fork. My bike felt a tad strange as Dale and I parted ways at Leipers Fork, and as I turned down my intended road I felt the results of a low tire. Sure enough it was almost completely flat, but had enough air to get me back to the Shell station so I could work under the lights as it was now dark.

FortDonelsonride1-3-09045.jpg

I looked for a nail or screw in the rear, but found nothing but a gash in the base of the tread. It took two plugs to seal the gash, but my plug kit and small compressor did the trick.

FortDonelsonride1-3-09046.jpg

Now all I had to do was avoid all the deer along the rural back roads of Mid TN on the way home in the dark. No worries amazingly enough as I didn't see even one on the way home.

Thanks for the day guys, it was my first Long ride in months and my body and leg is paying for it today, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat! :angry:

BR

• Member Contributer
Good stuff Kevin, I don't feel so bad about the Yankee welcome you gave me now! :angry:

Actually Seb, I think you should feel DAMN (pun intended) lucky you got the welcome you did!

• Forum CEO

My first taste of Tennessee was at Fort Donelson on my way to go meet you for the 05 TexasMac meet. I was surprised to have ridden over a 1000 miles to meet two retired Army Vets who were also Civil War Buffs. I talked with them for a short while and found out they were from "Colorado Springs" where I live, Small world. I had just traveled down the Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky, and entered the Fort at the Suggestion of a gas station clerk in Dover just at the very southern end of "The Trace". I noticed right away Southern Folk live up to thier repution for hospitality in greeting me with kindness and attention. This was also the first time I had seen an honest to God Civil war battlefield and the power if it wasn't wasted on me. It was as if I was standing on the very spot the Gettysburg address was given, however I know it wasn't. I just knew I was standing on consecrated ground. I have photos of that same battery of guns on the Cumberland. There is actually a Civil War battlefield on Raton Pass on the boarder between Colorado and New Mexico - a battle ensued when the south attempted to bring gold from the goldfields of Colorado into a southern trade route in New Mexico to finance the war. I have just never been there.

My first taste of Tennessee was at Fort Donelson on my way to go meet you for the 05 TexasMac meet. I was surprised to have ridden over a 1000 miles to meet two retired Army Vets who were also Civil War Buffs. I talked with them for a short while and found out they were from "Colorado Springs" where I live, Small world.

I didn't realize that HS, that is really cool. When I lived in MD as a kid we used to go to many of the Civil War battlefields and I've always enjoyed the history of it. Crazy things they did back then, but like in any war there always doing something crazy! :biggrin:

Been up there in a car... never on a bike. Man you guys make me jealous, my Sunday was taking Kaitlin to American Girl in the mall sad.gif Married life. Glad you all had fun and made it back ok.

I miss being stationed at Ft. Campbell, Ky because of the rides!

I used to ride my R6 through Fort Donnelson, Dunbar Cave, out Gate 10 through Land Between The Lakes, 101st Parkway.

You guys are VERY VERY MEAN!!!

I am stuck up here in winter withdrawl back home in the Chicagoland area.

I finished my enlistment Jun 29th of last year and its sad seeing old stomping grounds where I loved to ride.

I rode to chattanooga too but didn't know about the cherohola or the dragon until I was out of the Army!!

• Member Contributer
I miss being stationed at Ft. Campbell, Ky because of the rides!

I used to ride my R6 through Fort Donnelson, Dunbar Cave, out Gate 10 through Land Between The Lakes, 101st Parkway.

You guys are VERY VERY MEAN!!!

I am stuck up here in winter withdrawl back home in the Chicagoland area.

I finished my enlistment Jun 29th of last year and its sad seeing old stomping grounds where I loved to ride.

I rode to chattanooga too but didn't know about the cherohola or the dragon until I was out of the Army!!

Was stationed at Ft Campbell myslef and used to spend almost every weekend at Land Between the lakes hunting or fishing. A very nice peice of country.

LRRP's Out

FortDonelsonride1-3-09013.jpg

Personally, being a 'Northener' of sorts myself, I think I would have left the boat at home and used 'Public Transit' that day..... tongue.gif

FortDonelsonride1-3-09046.jpg

I never knew you could patch a tire with a couple plugs of chewing tobacco........ :ph34r:

With enginuity like that, how come .........? :huh: (edit you trying to re-ignite this thing? br) :wheel:

another great ride report Ken. I often wonder what I would do if I had a puncture in the middle of nowhere. Can you get those tyre compressors that fill up the hole? or do you have to use plugs as well.

Who's this Ken guy you speak of? :angry:

:huh:

another great ride report Ken. I often wonder what I would do if I had a puncture in the middle of nowhere. Can you get those tyre compressors that fill up the hole? or do you have to use plugs as well.

Who's this Ken guy you speak of? :huh:

:biggrin:

It's Bill's fault for putting the N key so close to the V key :blush: :laugh:

ps - BR, how's your set of PP front/PR2 rear holding up? Gonna report on those as a follow up to the PR2 F&R report you did a while back?

I've already done one write-up on the PP/PR2 set, this is my second set of this combo and it still feels great!

I think I have around 2200 on the rear and 2600 on the front, not sure if i will have full confidence in the rear after the double plug but it hasn't lost a lb yet. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

:laugh: for Kevin and TC for getting their tails out on a nasty day! I was still visiting family.... away from motorcycles. Nice pics. :dry:

I'll ask my neighbor if he can get some cannon ammo. He has an FFL. Now that would really be fun!! :huh:

another great ride report Kev. I often wonder what I would do if I had a puncture in the middle of nowhere. Can you get those tyre compressors that fill up the hole? or do you have to use plugs as well.

Steve, here's the compressor and plug kit I use!

misc09003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived