Vfr's Age Well!

backonabike

• Member Contributer

I was just on the high mileage post and it started me to thinking. My bike is almost 10 years old. This is no big deal I know as many here have older VFR's, but what is cool is the way viffers seem to keep their "coolness" no matter how old they get. What I mean is that when I look at my bike I dont see it as a ten year old relic. It is still a very modern looking machine that is often confused for a much newer bike. Also as a former owner of a 1st gen I can honestly say that I would kill to have that bike back..... Why? because that bike kicks ass to this day!! That's Why! Now I'm going to reach a little Okay?.... You know the way some cars are just forever cool? i.e. 70 Chevelle, 55 tbird, 68 mustang and the way some are not even cool when they are brand spankin new? i.e. Pontiac Aztek, AMC Pacer, chrysler K car. Well my point is look at any VFR compared to some of the competition has anyone seen a Teal Suzuki Katana recently ARghhh..... or say even perhaps some of the earlier madel ninjas ?? They have not aged as well as the VFR. So this is my rant what do you think?

• Member Contributer

True statement..........their owners age well also.....some are classics..............davidhappy.gif

• Member Contributer

Yes they do. Having owned my share of bikes over the years, the CEPTOR has always called to me. From the VF series up to our current generation, they are just unique. I should have owned 3-4 by now but my first is really sweet. Now how do I go back in time to pick up one bike from each generation? Man, if I figure out how to do this, my wife is going to kill me. What the heck...while I'm there, I might as well pick up some strange!!! :unsure:

That's why they are sure classics. I wouldn't doubt if the VFRs would be held in high esteem in the far into future. Maybe not as high as a classic Ferrari is considered now, but something more like a The Toyota 2000GT sportscar from the 60's (The one that Sean Connery/James Bond got driven around in by a pretty Japanese agent in the movie "You only live twice"). which can now sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars if you can find one. The 200GT was a limited production car, but I supposed through the high "attrition rates" normally suffered by motorcycles, the VFRs can be a "limited" items too in the future.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
What? The Pacer was never cool?? :pissed:

They are now.....especially the V8 X Models............... :unsure:

• Member Contributer

I constantly have people ask if my '00 is new. Well, it does only have 24k miles on it, but it surely isn't new.

If I could only find a cheap way to rid myself of the dumbo ears, er, I mean the gawdy front signals...

• Member Contributer

Even though I don't have the money for it I am constantly trolling Craig's List ads looking for mint condition low mileage 3rd and 2nd Gens. I'm sure the day will soon come that I piss off the ole' wife explaining to her why I needed to buy a second motorcycle that happens to be 20+ year old.

Regards,

Rollin

• Member Contributer
From the VF series up to our current generation, they are just unique.

For your viewing pleasure:

DSC04473.JPG

Still looks good almost a quarter century later. smile.gif

• Member Contributer

Each week at a weekly group ride that is mostly Triumph and Ducati-focused, my '97 gets a large amount of attention. I have had numerous people ask me if it is the new model, even with it's 30K + miles! :cool:

They definitely age well. Honda spends (or spent in the past) a lot of time on the VFR. Maybe that's why the next one is taking so long to incubate. +1.gif

I think the VFR has a special place in motorcycling history, at least for those who know bikes much. Also, the traditional RWB paint scheme is very recognizable and IMHO quite iconic, too.

Of course, it also helps these things run pretty much forever! All 'timeless classics' should be so lucky. +1.gif

• Member Contributer

"I'll bet you still have a leasure suit or two hanging in the closet, huh? "

You bet! And platform shoes, and ultra-wide-leg jeans, and...

And my favorite movie is Saturday Night Fever!

Just kidding. I always thought the Pacer was kind of neat because it was non-conformist and had a wide stance and lots of "greenhouse" (window space)

Two out of three of those qualities still hold for VFR.

Each week at a weekly group ride that is mostly Triumph and Ducati-focused, my '97 gets a large amount of attention. I have had numerous people ask me if it is the new model, even with it's 30K + miles! :fing02:

They definitely age well. Honda spends (or spent in the past) a lot of time on the VFR. Maybe that's why the next one is taking so long to incubate. :cool:

I've been getting the same attention when I ride to bike hangouts like Alice's. Lately, I noticed that much more people stop to look at my 95 than newer "more interesting" bikes +1.gif . I also noticed though that there are fewer and fewer VFRs of any vintage that show up too. Are we a dying breed?? sad.gif

Beck

95 VFR

• 2 months later...
Think that all the time with my 4th gen. I know its old, but it still looks really good. Even better with luggage.

And they still sound great!!

:biggrin:

Agree to all the posts. My biggest motorcycle mistake ever was selling my 85 VF500F...that bike was so much fun, quick and beautiful. Not to mention I bought it in 1988 with low miles (5-7k) for about $3000. The guy wanted the new 600 Hurricane so bad and the dealer wouldn't give him squat on a trade-in (dealer was an idiot though). I put about 15k miles on it in 5 years and sold it for $3500.

All VFR'S Rock. See my sig line, adapted from Rush. :biggrin:

Tire spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime. :cool:

• Member Contributer

I bought my VFR new in 2003 and still love the bike and enjoy it as I did from day one of ownership. I also have a 2007 CBR600 that is a blast to ride, but to me the VFR is still the better street bike. So competent for any type of riding on any road. Long days in the saddle are no problem, and it can still be ridden like a sport bike.

I will never forget the day that my best friend took me riding with some of his regular buddies who had never met me. They were all on sport bikes, and there was one guy on a Hayabusa. I overheard one of them ask my friend if the guy on the VFR was going to be okay to ride with the rest of the gang. Later in the day most of them were working to keep up with me. When we stopped for a break, the guy on the Hayabusa, (who I had passed and then checked out on) was walking around the VFR with a puzzled look on his face. :biggrin:

I agree all of the designs are timeless. I love it when people ask me if my 4th gen is new. Although to the trained eye a 4th gen really doesn't look ultra modern I still think that the design is timeless.

• Member Contributer
I bought my VFR new in 2003 and still love the bike and enjoy it as I did from day one of ownership. I also have a 2007 CBR600 that is a blast to ride, but to me the VFR is still the better street bike. So competent for any type of riding on any road. Long days in the saddle are no problem, and it can still be ridden like a sport bike.

I will never forget the day that my best friend took me riding with some of his regular buddies who had never met me. They were all on sport bikes, and there was one guy on a Hayabusa. I overheard one of them ask my friend if the guy on the VFR was going to be okay to ride with the rest of the gang. Later in the day most of them were working to keep up with me. When we stopped for a break, the guy on the Hayabusa, (who I had passed and then checked out on) was walking around the VFR with a puzzled look on his face. :biggrin:

It's not the arrow but the indian.

Ditto, I get complements all the time on my '86. A guy at work on an R1 was really surprised mine was so old

Can't wait to see what they say about my newest addition (brought it back today)

'95 VFR750, with only 13k miles on the odometer!

Archived